On my thru hike last year one of my best memories was spending a few hours on the patio of Gyp's Tavern, overlooking Culver's Lake. It was a short walk off the trail so I figured I'd get some real food and a beer. I arrived in the late afternoon, threw my pack beside me at a vacant table on the patio, and ordered a burger and beer. Both were delicious. The place starting getting busier and I struck up conversations with a number of people out back. Gyp's is one of those eclectic, egalitarian places. Tradesmen's pickups and BMW SUVs shared the parking lot. There was a pool table. I loved the vibe. After a great meal and good conversation I went to pay my tab. An older gentlemen, noticing my pack, asked if I was hiking the AT. He then insisted on paying my tab. I tried to decline, but he insisted. A woman nearby offered, unsolicited, to drive me up to the CCC Pavillian on Sunset Mt. to give me a headstart for the next day. She said she always offers rides to hikers. I declined (hike the whole hike and all that), but should have accepted. Everyone I met at that place was great, and the view from the patio right beside Culver's Lake was magnificent. Great NJ experience.