WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Every year the more I tent, the more I dislike the shelters. thumbs up for whoever wants to stay in the shelter, more tenting spots for the sane
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Every year the more I tent, the more I dislike the shelters. thumbs up for whoever wants to stay in the shelter, more tenting spots for the sane
    every year it seems like less and less people want to stay at shelters. i love it. i hope their bad reputation gets worse and worse.

let all the people with mouse phobia who havent showered in days decry them as being "too dirty." more room for the sane people who want to carry as little as possible and do as little non-hiking work as possible.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    side note- does this make you someone who *just* stays in their tent?

IMO there is nothing better on the trail then a good creek bath, and getting to retreat to my private tent, leave a vestibule or 2 open for venting and sleep in the sounds of nature by my lonesome.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 07-18-2017 at 12:42.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    every year it seems like less and less people want to stay at shelters. i love it. i hope their bad reputation gets worse and worse.

let all the people with mouse phobia who havent showered in days decry them as being "too dirty." more room for the sane people who want to carry as little as possible and do as little non-hiking work as possible.
    I'm not phobic of mice, I am phobic of the latrine! Scary buggy places.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Part of the reason for shelters is for bad weather situations. Weekenders should be much more able to plan ahead and prepare (and not come), as such leaving them for thru hikers is more in line with LNT.
    Perhaps we could, but why SHOULD we? My single overnight is a result of planning and scrounging for free time....unlike a thru who apparently has months at his/her disposal. Inclement weather is a fact of life on the trail, and all who enjoy the outdoors are entitled to all the trail has to offer....including a chance to come in from the rain or snow should they so choose.

Next some idiot will be suggesting that the water sources at shelters are for thrus only, and weekenders should have the courtesy to carry all they need or go thirsty so as to not usurp this resource.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 07-18-2017 at 16:19.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Part of the reason for shelters is for bad weather situations. Weekenders should be much more able to plan ahead and prepare (and not come), as such leaving them for thru hikers is more in line with LNT.
    I will happily 100% disagree. Somebody walking 2200 miles should have proper shelter and be completely capable of setting up their shelter in the midst of bad weather. More so then someone out just for a weekend correct?

Shelters are equal opportunity. They don't care who stays in them.

"Hey your only out for the weekend, you had a better opportunity to see the weather, even tho I (thru hiker) got here after you, its raining and since you had access to a weather report sooner then I have, YOU go set your tent up" ....Oh boohoo get over it.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Groups have been ASKED to not use the shelters in some places along the trail as this is one block of people taking up the shelter. As far as small groups of w/e ders, shelters are open.

There are some accommodations at various AT lean to's and housing such as in GSMNP on the AT, AMC AT adjacent Huts, and in Baxter SP as well as special regs applying to AT thru hikers. PCT thrus have some added accommodating options as well even though it doesn't concern lean to's. This occurs in the form of a PCT Thru-hiker Permit where a PCT thru is determined as one doing a 500 mile or more continuous unbroken PCT ONLY hike So, Tdoczi has a valid point in who is to be determined as a thru-hiker - NOT BY THE DEBATING CROWD - but determined by officiating agencies

Quote Originally Posted by capt. photon View Post
    Groups have been ASKED to not use the shelters in some places along the trail as this is one block of people taking up the shelter. As far as small groups of w/e ders, shelters are open.
    And, this affects other section hikers as well as thrus.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    And, this affects other section hikers as well as thrus.
    A group is just a set of individuals-- each one no more or less deserving of a shelter experience than anyone else.

The big difference with regard to AT shelters is that a group -- and camp and scout groups in particular -- have the ability to plan ahead and choose places that are not likely to be overcrowded. Weekenders have that ability as well.

Not saying anyone has any less of a claim on a shelter space-- just that common sense suggests we all factor in the carrying capacity of a particualr site when making our plans.

I expect there is a history at Upper Goose Pond which led to the policy there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    A group is just a set of individuals-- each one no more or less deserving of a shelter experience than anyone else.

The big difference with regard to AT shelters is that a group -- and camp and scout groups in particular -- have the ability to plan ahead and choose places that are not likely to be overcrowded. Weekenders have that ability as well.
    actually, no. (as is usually the case with most of your theories of late, and by of late, i mean the past 3 years or so).

i won't pretend to be able to adequately explain it, but in places where there is a differentiation between groups and non-groups (for instance, national park campsites that are on any sort of reservation system) it is because groups have been shown to have a higher environmental impact than non-groups. that is why, in a place with say, a policy that above 6 is a group, were you to get caught trying to circumvent this by dividing your group of 8 into 2 groups of 4 for purposes of securing non group campsites, you'd be in some degree of trouble. it isnt because as a group you should have been able to plan better and carry more gear, or whatever you were trying to say.

I'n not arguing with whom is more or less deserving but I can tell you there are campgrounds with specific designated GROUP SITES wher a s a solo hiker I may not be immediately allowed to camp EVEN THOUGH THE GROUP SITE IS EMPTY AND UNRESERVED and in many areas on other trails for walk ins or touring bicyclists ONLY or catering to thru-hikers. I'm getting off topic some as it doesn't specifically always apply to AT lean to's but for example AMC Hut work for stays at Huts on OR very close to the AT are quietely preferred to be given to AT thru hikers during peak AT thru-hiker periods rather than section hikers. There're lean to accommodations in BSP specifically set aside for thru hikers and other regs that seek to accommodate this user group while balancing it with other user's needs. Same for GSMNP on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Except they are all on the AT at pretty much the same time.

Just as the ATC encourages alternative thru hike itineraries to avoid over crowding, weekenders can help by avoiding AT shelters during periods of high use.

Its fine to suggest everyone has equal claim, but that is just common sense.
    Common sense tells me that weekenders will be using a shelter for one night out of seven and probably are limited to weekends due to their work schedules. Thrus are out for a 4 - 6 month long vacation and have the opportunity to use them the other 6. Despite what some may tell you, there is no special status granted by virtue hike length. The fact is that everyone does have equal claim to shelters, so if a thru gets upset to find a shelter full of weekenders, they are welcome to go pout in their tent. Luckily, I've found this this entitled attitude to be rare.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'n not arguing with whom is more or less deserving but I can tell you there are campgrounds with specific designated GROUP SITES wher a s a solo hiker I may not be immediately allowed to camp EVEN THOUGH THE GROUP SITE IS EMPTY AND UNRESERVED and in many areas on other trails for walk ins or touring bicyclists ONLY or catering to thru-hikers. I'm getting off topic some as it doesn't specifically always apply to AT lean to's but for example AMC Hut work for stays at Huts on OR very close to the AT are quietely preferred to be given to AT thru hikers during peak AT thru-hiker periods rather than section hikers. There're lean to accommodations in BSP specifically set aside for thru hikers and other regs that seek to accommodate this user group while balancing it with other user's needs. Same for GSMNP on the AT.
    those situations you mention, and i'm not by any means saying i'm in favor of their existence, are because the logistics of going to those places and following the same rules as the general public would render a thru hike virtually impossible, or i suppose more properly stated- so difficult that rule breaking would be rampant and the respective powers that be would rather not deal with it.

With the two pro rah rah rah section hiker boo hoo to thru-hikers threads getting exposure I feel many have been watching an abundance of late night infomercial ambulance chasing personal injury lawsuit ads. What's next a section hiker class action anti discrimination and harassment lawsuit? Picketing at AT Lean to's and AT THs?

Go Go we don't want no thrus. Equal access for all...

Journal Entries
    Images

And then there are those that set up their tents in the shelters.....I just don't get it.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

I knew the tents in shelters topic was next.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

Staying in shelters doesn't change what I carry with me or save me any weight. I don't want to limit my options.
    I will stay in shelters if I want people around. But 2/3 of the time I'm happy to be off in a quiet space elsewhere. The conveniences of the shelter often draw me closer, but I have stayed at a lot with of shelters with annoying people, and of course a lot with good people.
    The mice and dirt are the least of my concerns at shelters.

Staying in shelters doesn't change what I carry with me. I don't want to limit my options.
    I will stay in shelters if I want people around. But 2/3 of the time I'm happy to be off in a quiet space elsewhere. The conveniences of the shelter often draw me closer

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    And then there are those that set up their tents in the shelters.....I just don't get it.
    Said the man who's never been devoured by bugs while sleeping tentless in a shelter.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++