WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    Staying in shelters doesn't change what I carry with me or save me any weight. I don't want to limit my options.
    I will stay in shelters if I want people around. But 2/3 of the time I'm happy to be off in a quiet space elsewhere. The conveniences of the shelter often draw me closer, but I have stayed at a lot with of shelters with annoying people, and of course a lot with good people.
    The mice and dirt are the least of my concerns at shelters.

Staying in shelters doesn't change what I carry with me. I don't want to limit my options.
    I will stay in shelters if I want people around. But 2/3 of the time I'm happy to be off in a quiet space elsewhere. The conveniences of the shelter often draw me closer
    if the plan for my hike is to sleep at shelters every night and i have no reason to anticipate huge crowds i will not carry my tent. i dont care, there is nothing that could possibly be going on that would make me carry my tent in case i should spontaneously decide i dont want to stay at a shelter. i'm probably better at blocking out background nonsense than most people and i am perfectly willing to be the antisocial weirdo in the corner who doesnt want to join whatever party might be going on. i'll ignore people i dont want to talk to who try to engage me, its easy.

might i one day get burned by a full shelter? yup. and itll be a bad night when that happens. until it starts being a regular occurrence though the benefits to me far outweigh the risks.

i just got tired of carrying around a 3 lb piece of gear that if i was being honest with myself i was going to do anything i could to avoid using. that thing spent a lot of days at the bottom of my pack being dead and useless weight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Said the man who's never been devoured by bugs while sleeping tentless in a shelter.
    set your tent up outside of the shelter. protection from the bugs will not be compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    set your tent up outside of the shelter. protection from the bugs will not be compromised.
    And pack a wet tent in the morning? No thanks.

Now. I have read it all. Setting up a tent in a shelter to avoid bugs AND the rain.

I was hoping it was sarcasm. Yet, sadly, I suspect it is not.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Now. I have read it all. Setting up a tent in a shelter to avoid bugs AND the rain.

I was hoping it was sarcasm. Yet, sadly, I suspect it is not.
    Wasn't me. I only setup my tent inside shelters in the winter
    IMG_2735.JPG
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The following is from the ATC website:

"Shelters are for all A.T. users. Hikers may occupy them on a first-come, first-served basis until the shelter is full. They are intended for individual hikers, not big groups."

Journal Entries
    Images

SNP's rules are a little different: Huts are three-sided structures located along the Appalachian Trail and for use by long-term hikers (who are out for three consecutive nights or more).
    Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    The following is from the ATC website:"Shelters are for all A.T. users. Hikers may occupy them on a first-come, first-served basis until the shelter is full. They are intended for individual hikers, not big groups."
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

It's just common sense to let the thru-hikes have priority at the shelters, they do more miles and are considered "royalty" on the A.T...weekend warriors can set up their tents and have the privilege (maybe) of hearing the thru's holding forth around the campfire....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Images

i'm going with that was sarcasm. the alternative is too much for even me to bear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    The following is from the ATC website:

"Shelters are for all A.T. users."
    so, if someone were to access a shelter that is, lets say, .2 miles off the AT without ever setting foot on the AT itself....

i'm going with that was sarcasm. the alternative is too much for even me to bear.
    Explain why the idea of pitching a tent inside a shelter is unbearable?

Images

naah, i'm good. you knock your bad self out.

naah, i'm good. you knock your bad self out.
    Classic Internet badass.

Journal Entries

so, if someone were to access a shelter that is, lets say, .2 miles off the AT without ever setting foot on the AT itself....
    It would be perfectly OK

If your dependent on shelters such that you care who uses them, youve got issues. I wish theyd remove every last one. Reduce trail use significantly.

Although i kinda likes it if raining, its a luxury, not necessity.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-19-2017 at 01:06.

I don't think it is unbearable but to a degree it is self-entitled. Shelters have an intended capacity. If that intended capacity cannot be achieved because your tent is hogging up the space, then that's a lack of respect for other hikers. Doing so during spring through fall is problematic due to traffic. If you can't deal with a wet tent maybe you shouldn't be outside.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

if the plan for my hike is to sleep at shelters every night and i have no reason to anticipate huge crowds i will not carry my tent. i dont care, there is nothing that could possibly be going on that would make me carry my tent in case i should spontaneously decide i dont want to stay at a shelter. i'm probably better at blocking out background nonsense than most people and i am perfectly willing to be the antisocial weirdo in the corner who doesnt want to join whatever party might be going on. i'll ignore people i dont want to talk to who try to engage me, its easy.

might i one day get burned by a full shelter? yup. and itll be a bad night when that happens. until it starts being a regular occurrence though the benefits to me far outweigh the risks.

i just got tired of carrying around a 3 lb piece of gear that if i was being honest with myself i was going to do anything i could to avoid using. that thing spent a lot of days at the bottom of my pack being dead and useless weight.
    This is completely irresponsible. You could get injured midway between shelters. You could underestimate the terrain and be caught out in the dark. The one time you encounter a full shelter could be the start of the last time you ever need shelter. That one time might the beginning of a string of events that makes that happen.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    It would be perfectly OK

If your dependent on shelters such that you care who uses them, youve got issues. I wish theyd remove every last one. Reduce trail use significantly.

Although i kinda likes it if raining, its a luxury, not necessity.
    i was just pointing out a loophole in the wording of the rule and also pondering the idea of what exactly an "AT user" is.

put differently- is the AT there so people can walk to the shelter and use it, or is the shelter there as a place for people who are using the AT to stay? there is a valid and important distinction there i don't think many of us are considering.

"AT user" to my mind means people who are using the shelter for it's own sake and the AT is just coincidentally how they get there are excluded.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    This is completely irresponsible. You could get injured midway between shelters. You could underestimate the terrain and be caught out in the dark. The one time you encounter a full shelter could be the start of the last time you ever need shelter. That one time might the beginning of a string of events that makes that happen.
    i carry an emergency shelter. it is not something i want to use, but, i'd survive if i had to use it. it is many times lighter than carrying a tent i actually want to sleep in.

Rain and bugs are usually an either/or proposition, no?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I don't think it is unbearable but to a degree it is self-entitled. Shelters have an intended capacity. If that intended capacity cannot be achieved because your tent is hogging up the space, then that's a lack of respect for other hikers. Doing so during spring through fall is problematic due to traffic. If you can't deal with a wet tent maybe you shouldn't be outside.
    much like my example of the family of 5 at the hemlocks, it as you say, disregards the shelter capacity. to me, both are examples of an attitude which basically says "i got here first so as much of this, up to and including all of it, is now mine."

thats the problem with just saying "first come, first serve."

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++