WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post
    Good point. In Maine for instance, A family or individual may have camped in a Baxter Park lean to, or one of the lean tos at Abol Pines - where you pay the fee and have the lean to for your own private use. (Abol Pines is first come-first-served, Baxter you reserve) Those who are out having their first AT experiences simply may not know that things are different, and that lean tos are not private.
    I suppose it would be unreasonable to think that since they didn't reserve or pay for shelter, that they may realize that it may not be private for their exclusive use. They'd probably find out pretty quickly though...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    This isn't the "Why can't my dog sleep in the shelter?" thread?
    I get the best sleep when I put my dog in its own tent next to my own tent in the shelter...

Page 13 on a problem that doesn't exist in most of the country.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    everything ever discussed on this website, on the internet in general for that matter, is a problem that doesnt exist in most of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne
    But it is a problem which exists on the AT, for which this discussion applies.

Another problem are the squatters who make a shelter their home, typically at shelters which are easy to get to from a road. They claim to be "hiking the trail" but you can tell right away their not.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I've seen a sign at Wise shelter stating its for thru hikers only.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    I've seen a sign at Wise shelter stating its for thru hikers only.
    i was at wise last year, and stayed the night, along with 3 or 4 other hikers who were definitely not thrus. if there was a sign, i didnt notice it.

being (i believe) on state park lands i would lean towards thinking, if there was a sign, it was indicating, much as in other places, that it is for people who are "hiking through"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Actually thru hikers are unquestionably given preferential treatment, as they should be. Local, state and federal law encodes this favoritism, depending on the location, but most notably they can camp where others can not. Also it is in society in general, the trail magic is for the thru hikers, others may glom some, but if there were no thru hikers there would be no such trail magic, it's because and for the thru hikers. So the argument that trail magic should be for any hiker and not exclusive for thrus just doesn't hold any weight, as without thrus there is no trail magic in it's common form along the AT. And they deserve it, They are doing something wonderful, something few people dare to do, but so needed in society - to leave it for a long time to pursue their dreams.

Weekenders are more of the vacationing problem, thru hikers are experiencing live, not escaping it.

As for the shelters, the thrus will get the nod and people who violate this will be looked down upon if they take it with a self righteous attitude. It's unofficial, but karmically correct, a show of respect.
    This thread is making me wish they would just tear all the shelters down.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

WB AT drama.

So much BS. Some threads here are no better than the Yahoo or YouTube comments section.

Between this and the other polarizing hiker vs thru hiker thread it's becoming obvious sentiments are being alowed to reach higher than mildly annoyed proportions. Even if all AT lean to's were removed those with contentious easily offended and questionably socially inept child like behaviors would still find something to bitch about. So very fortunate what can be represented here is not always what is experienced in the on trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    But it is a problem which exists on the AT, for which this discussion applies.

Another problem are the squatters who make a shelter their home, typically at shelters which are easy to get to from a road. They claim to be "hiking the trail" but you can tell right away their not.
    This is why I never plan on camping near any road crossings whether at a shelter or tent only location.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post

This. SO much this.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Why? Most of the year shelters stand empty. Sure there are places and times of the year when they are overflowing, but I've spent many a night alone in a shelter. Some of it is luck, some of it is timing.

A typical shelter sleeps 6 to 8 people. Some can hold up to 15. If you removed the shelter, no way would 6, 8 or 15 tents fit into the same area.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    I get the best sleep when I put my dog in its own tent next to my own tent in the shelter...
    I hope you at least use a pup tent.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    This. SO much this.
    Its not the shelters Penny it's SOME PEOPLE. DO NOT LET WHAT YOU READ HERE BE ASSUMED THAT'S WHAT YOU NEED TO EXPERIENCE. There very well may be more vociferous contentious spirits here than you'll experience at all the AT shelters in a 1000 mile hike.

Nah. Use them or ignore them, as you wish. Never rely on having one. Then you can't go wrong.

These days I'm using them less and less, but in heavy rain or other fierce weather, I'd certainly stop in, at least for a spell. More often than not, I'll camp nearby.

Off season, I've had shelters to myself many times. When there's not a lot of crumbs and food scrap to chow on, the mice tend to disperse.

No special privileges for thru hikers or anyone else. Shelters are first-come, first-served.

I wonder how many people who are anti-shelter use the amenities at shelters like the picnic table to eat or take a break? I know that I may not sleep in a shelter but stop at many for a break. It is nice to sit on something other than the ground.
    More walking, less talking.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I wonder how many people who are anti-shelter use the amenities at shelters like the picnic table to eat or take a break? I know that I may not sleep in a shelter but stop at many for a break. It is nice to sit on something other than the ground.
    Their best use.

Im not anti-shelter

Im anti pro-shelter , due to what I percieve as detrimental to experience of hiking.

Ever increasing really luxurious shelters get built, that have no place in woods. Attracting people that really dont want to be there either.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

FWIW I'm not anti-thru-hiker either. Quite the contrary. I can't say I hold any special respect or admiration for them, but I appreciate what they're trying to accomplish and I've gone out of my way to offer help to many....and will continue to do so. That being said, I don't believe they have no proprietary claim on anything AT-related, nor should they. As Lone Wolf often says, "It's only walking", and all they can claim is that they're doing it more than most of us.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

I, for one, as a section hiker take into consideration where the thru-hiker "bubble" is and try to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Sure.

In your personal experience, do you find many weekend hikers at the Georgia shelters (or shelter areas) during the height of the thru hiking season?

I expect there are some, but I have no idea if the numbers are in anyway significant.

I would think that most weekenders would want to stay away then. Not because they don't have every bit as much "right" to shelter space, but because alternative options abound, and because they just don't want to contribute to the over crowding.

I don't have any problem with leaving shelters to thru hikers. Shelters are backwoods slums, teaming with infectious diseases! I can see why Thru's use them, you can just flop down after another long day, but Sect's are best to avoid them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++