WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shelters Only for Thru-Hikers?

I read a review of a local hike the other day, and one reviewer scolded non-thru hikers for using shelters during the season.

Here is the quote:
    Side note... if you are backpacking this loop in summer. Please leave the shelters for AT Thru Hikers, I noticed too many "weekenders" using the shelters to sleep in. poor form.

I'd never heard of this unwritten rule before, and IMO if somebody had the gall to question my use of a shelter in-season as a section hiker, I'd tell them where to shove their opinion. But that's me.

I can see not filling up an entire shelter with your youth/boy scout/church group etc..., but for individual hikers...come on.

Curious what you all think.

Any hiker has the right to use a shelter.

The shelter is only full when the last person who needs it is inside. "thruhikers only" is not a thing.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Most experienced thru-hikers will prefer to camp away from shelters.

And how do you identify thru-hikers from weekenders?
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    In short, and because I need 10 characters, smell.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Actually, experienced thru hikers love shelters, especially if it's raining or going to rain - and that has happened a lot this year. So, coming to a shelter late in the day and finding it full of some camp group or weekend warriors, is a significant disappointment.

It doesn't take too long for a thru-hiker to develop a distinct look (and smell) which makes them easy to identify. But unfortunately, that status doesn't grant you any special privileges in terms of shelter space. It can get you a discount with the AMC through the Whites, but that's about it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Actually, experienced thru hikers love shelters, especially if it's raining or going to rain - and that has happened a lot this year. So, coming to a shelter late in the day and finding it full of some camp group or weekend warriors, is a significant disappointment.

It doesn't take too long for a thru-hiker to develop a distinct look (and smell) which makes them easy to identify. But unfortunately, that status doesn't grant you any special privileges in terms of shelter space. It can get you a discount with the AMC through the Whites, but that's about it.
    Yes, some thru hikers think they are entitled to special privileges. I stopped at the Chatfield shelter for the night and the shelter was nearly full with mostly thru hikers. Just before dark a hiker came in and declared "I am a thru hiker and hiked 20 miles today. Make room."
    More walking, less talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

This was my thought, too, TV.

Few thru hikers I met between Pearisburg and Damascus when I hiked into Trail Days wanted to rack out in a shelter. While offering protection from the elements, shelters are generally filthy. They may pitch a tent or hammock near the shelter because the water source is usually close by, but ... yeah. who wants to sleep in a shelter unless you have to?

first come, first served. period. there is nothing special about a thru-hiker

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    exactly that

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

This. Every year there are a few entitled schmucks that make claims like this that make all thru hikers look bad.

I was out in VT doing a section last week. On my first night as I got to a busy shelter area one of the first things out of a thru hikers mouth was "It looks like it's gonna rain, we can make room for you in the shelter if you need it." That's exactly how it should work.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Except they are all on the AT at pretty much the same time.

Just as the ATC encourages alternative thru hike itineraries to avoid over crowding, weekenders can help by avoiding AT shelters during periods of high use.

Its fine to suggest everyone has equal claim, but that is just common sense.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

Just as the ATC encourages alternative thru hike itineraries to avoid over crowding, weekenders can help by avoiding AT shelters during periods of high use.

why not thru hikers can avoid using shelters on weekends?

its just common sense...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    why not thru hikers can avoid using shelters on weekends?

its just common sense...
    Thru hikers are not on a week/weekend schedule, that is for people who are off trail. Many thru hikers don't even know what day of the week it is when asked, the only time they really need to know is when theiy visit the rest of the world for a town day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Thru hikers are not on a week/weekend schedule, that is for people who are off trail. Many thru hikers don't even know what day of the week it is when asked, the only time they really need to know is when theiy visit the rest of the world for a town day.
    and whats a "weekender's" problem how exactly?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

weekenders can help by avoiding AT shelters during periods of high use.
    Load. Of. Crap.

Its fine to suggest everyone has equal claim. . . .
    That's because everyone does have equal clam. As LW said, thru-hikers aren't special. They're actually in a fairly small minority of AT users.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Common sense tells me that weekenders will be using a shelter for one night out of seven and probably are limited to weekends due to their work schedules. Thrus are out for a 4 - 6 month long vacation and have the opportunity to use them the other 6. Despite what some may tell you, there is no special status granted by virtue hike length. The fact is that everyone does have equal claim to shelters, so if a thru gets upset to find a shelter full of weekenders, they are welcome to go pout in their tent. Luckily, I've found this this entitled attitude to be rare.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Common sense tells me that weekenders will be using a shelter for one night out of seven and probably are limited to weekends due to their work schedules. Thrus are out for a 4 - 6 month long vacation and have the opportunity to use them the other 6. Despite what some may tell you, there is no special status granted by virtue hike length. The fact is that everyone does have equal claim to shelters, so if a thru gets upset to find a shelter full of weekenders, they are welcome to go pout in their tent. Luckily, I've found this this entitled attitude to be rare.
    Actually thru hikers are unquestionably given preferential treatment, as they should be. Local, state and federal law encodes this favoritism, depending on the location, but most notably they can camp where others can not. Also it is in society in general, the trail magic is for the thru hikers, others may glom some, but if there were no thru hikers there would be no such trail magic, it's because and for the thru hikers. So the argument that trail magic should be for any hiker and not exclusive for thrus just doesn't hold any weight, as without thrus there is no trail magic in it's common form along the AT. And they deserve it, They are doing something wonderful, something few people dare to do, but so needed in society - to leave it for a long time to pursue their dreams.

Weekenders are more of the vacationing problem, thru hikers are experiencing live, not escaping it.

As for the shelters, the thrus will get the nod and people who violate this will be looked down upon if they take it with a self righteous attitude. It's unofficial, but karmically correct, a show of respect.

Images

Actually thru hikers are unquestionably given preferential treatment, as they should be. Local, state and federal law encodes this favoritism, depending on the location, but most notably they can camp where others can not. Also it is in society in general, the trail magic is for the thru hikers, others may glom some, but if there were no thru hikers there would be no such trail magic, it's because and for the thru hikers. So the argument that trail magic should be for any hiker and not exclusive for thrus just doesn't hold any weight, as without thrus there is no trail magic in it's common form along the AT. And they deserve it, They are doing something wonderful, something few people dare to do, but so needed in society - to leave it for a long time to pursue their dreams.

Weekenders are more of the vacationing problem, thru hikers are experiencing live, not escaping it.

As for the shelters, the thrus will get the nod and people who violate this will be looked down upon if they take it with a self righteous attitude. It's unofficial, but karmically correct, a show of respect.
    well, no one can say there havent been some.... fascinating... posts in this thread.

Well aren't you special, bless your heart.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++