Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12
Results 221 to 228 of 228
  1. #221
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-18-2010
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,133
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Strict View Post
    I give up...
    so would you say, in a manner of speaking, that you are through posting?

  2. #222
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-30-2018
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Age
    54
    Posts
    18
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Strict View Post
    I give up...
    ..........

  3. #223
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-30-2018
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Age
    54
    Posts
    18
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    so would you say, in a manner of speaking, that you are through posting?
    on this issue, yes

  4. #224
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-08-2018
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Age
    59
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Thru hikers are people committed to completing this one trail within a year, if we follow the standard definition, and I guess they evolve to 'thruhikerdom' if they meet this definition. Unless sleeping in a certain number of shelters is required to meet the requirements, it's unclear why they should receive preference at shelters, or anywhere else. Perhaps an exception can be made in areas with limited tent sites, but otherwise they should simply use their skills to complete the trail. (Also group camping at shelters seems to not be a good idea, if I were a group leader I'd avoid this because it would exclude the random hikers passing through, out of courtesy). Otherwise we need to set up something like a European royalty/privilege system that anoints the intended thru hiker with special privileges and requires other hikers to defer to them. We should all just get along and enjoy hiking in the way we define it, not defined as by someone else.

  5. #225
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2009
    Location
    Spring Lake, MI
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    first come, first served. period. there is nothing special about a thru-hiker
    YES - with the exception of groups - and by groups, I mean scout/youth/family groups of four or more. Two years ago, I was in GA, and there was a family of 7 hiking - staying in shelters. I was so happy that I could put in more miles to get the heck away from them!

    BTW: I always bring a tent or hammock to use if shelter is full... but I prefer to be in the shelter as it is easy-peasy for set-up and take-down....

  6. #226

    Default

    If one is a hiker then they are never through hiking.

  7. #227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    it generally ends up that way because we, for one reason or another, start using them to mean different things.

    it would be more helpful to invent new words. therefore i move that "through hiker" go back to meaning "hiking through" and person who is attempting to hike the whole trail will henceforth be a.... hikeldumpty.

    i look forward to the first thread discuss an attempt to set a FKT for a hikeldumpty
    thats gonna be tough since many can’t even agree what “trail magic” is.

  8. #228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    You think, lol? I hope it was something you liked.

    Unfortunately it was stuff I was allergic to. Luckily I found a through hiker later who took it off my hands.

    So all was well.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •