WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Cooper slackpacking back to Breckenridge

Looks like an opportunity for a light 14 mile slackpack from Copper back to Breckenridge.

Is this fairly straightforward via the Summit Stage bus.

Ya, it was straightforward. Only thing is that I don't remember if you change buses in Frisco. Ask your driver and he will keep you squared away. I've done both the slack and normal with gear. It does make for an easy day. I'm not hiking that section so haven't researched it. But, isn't that section closed because of fire? Double check the facebook page as sometimes these fires last well into the summer. You can walk the bike path to Copper Mtn as an option then bus back.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

UPDATE CT SEGMENT 7 AS OF THUR JULY 13. Most of CT Segment 7 remains closed due to the Peak 2 Fire. Still closed is that part of CT Segment 7 from Gold Hill TH (mi 0.0) to junction with Wheeler Trail (approx mi 10-1/2). Other trail names associated with this closure are Gold Hill Trail, Peaks Trail, and Miners Creek Trail...all of which remain closed.

WHEELER TRAIL HAS REOPENED END TO END, effectively reopening part of CT Segment 7 from the junction with Wheeler Trail (Seg 7,approx mi 10-1/2) to Copper Far East Lot (end Seg 7). This shows in the CT Databook. Three good detour options appear below:

DETOUR VIA WHEELER TRAIL. The Wheeler Trail travels up and over the Tenmile Range on a different route than the CT. Open to hike, bike and horse, traveling the Wheeler Trail would be similar in mileage and vertical to CT Seg 7. From Breckenridge, one approach would be to ascend the Peak 10 Road beyond the ski lifts to its junction with the Wheeler Trail and turn right (west and north) and crest the Tenmile Range and descend until you meet CT Seg 7. Angle left and down (now reopened) to the Copper Far East Lot, the break between Segs 7 and 8.

DETOUR VIA THE REC PATH. Detouring CT Seg 7 via the Recreation Path is a good way to go. The end of Seg 6 is on the rec path. Continue north on the rec path and, at intersections, keep the Tenmile Range on your left as you go. The rec path will curve west and skirt Frisco. Then it will curve south and follow Tenmile Creek toward Copper Mountain. From the end of Seg 6 you'd travel the rec path about 12 miles to where the rec path again becomes the CT at Copper Far East Lot, the beginning of Seg 8.

DETOUR VIA THE FREE SUMMIT STAGE BUS. Detouring on the free bus is also very convenient, though they don’t allow dogs and cannot accommodate fat tire bikes. Near the end of Segment 6 along Highway 9, catch the free bus toward Frisco. Get off in Frisco at the 6th & Main stop and pick up the bus to Copper there. In Copper, get off the bus at Stop 34 at the entrance to Copper Resort. Walk across Hwy 91, onto the rec path and South 0.4 mile where the rec path meets the CT alongside the Copper Far East Lot.

Last edited by 10-K; 07-18-2017 at 12:13.

I took the bus around...wasn't going to walk on the pavement...bus allowed dogs...easy solution as the alternative trail wasn't open...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Looks like an opportunity for a light 14 mile slackpack from Copper back to Breckenridge.

Is this fairly straightforward via the Summit Stage bus.
    Highly recommended Bivi hostel if staying in Breck...but as many said I liked Frisco much better..not so touristy...if planned on a hotel would definitely do Frisco.

I've been asking the "Why Breck when you're practically in Frisco?" for awhile.
    I'll be up that way later this summer. Looking forward to a return to the beginning.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Why not? There is nice hostel, food, big grocery store, Laundromat, and bus ride right into town.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Why not? There is nice hostel, food, big grocery store, Laundromat, and bus ride right into town.
    Which direction?
    An informal poll shows Breck almost universally mentioned. Frisco is forgotten.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Same as Lonehiker. I slack it as part of a zero or nero in Breck,Frisco, or Silverthorne sometimes to avoid weather like a heavy projected early all afternoon downpour or hauling a heavy load from Breck south to my next resupply like when choosing to skip Lville entirely. This area has everthing a hiker peak bagger or MBTER wants. Combined with the public transportation options makes it that more appealing.

Yes you change buses at the Transfer Station. It's right behind a Walmart OK for doing a slack resupply.
    At the same Transfer Center a bus also goes to Lville making for other wt saving or total elevation direction changing options like a 2 day from Tennessee pass to Copper/Frisco/Breck where if the weather allows only cowboy or bivy or employing one of the Camp Hale bunkers as shelter or the ski chalet cabin(when open) between Searle and Copper Mt.this can be combined with a Lville Hostel stay if you prefer a zero there instead or added to a Breck area zero or nero. A slack can also be done going from Tennessee pass to Copper with an early start. It sure is nice cruising down Copper Mt at tbe end of a long day with no wt rather than ascending it to Kokomo Pass with a big resupply. Many eople see the slack opp over Ten Mile but few see the possible slack oops between Tennessee Pass and Copper mt. Granted it's out of the MPD range for many more folks but doing it in this direction I find easier.

Look at CT elev profile. Going SOBO the real roller coasting doesn't begin until Breck.

As another option as Handlebar detailed in one of your other CTthreads don't head into Breck from Georgia Pass. Take the CDT north over Greys and Torres Peaks two 14ers that are easily bagged together. Continue around to SilverThorne on trail or with a hitch from the BUSY Greys Torreys TH into Silverthorne which is another town next to the Breck Frisco area with connecting bus service.

I've spent two days in Breck. One day is my CTslack over Ten Mile. The other day is The Dragon or Greys Torreys off the CT followed up by a third day slacking from Tennessee Pass to Copper using the services of Lville Hostel

When I decided to bail out and go home, I had to wander over to Frisco. I took the bus from Breck back to the CT and hiked south for a few miles until I found a campsite. Then I went back half a mile to a trail which lead into Frisco. That was a nice walk and finally saw some wildlife - a big cow moose down in a swampy meadow.

Anyway main street Frisco struck me as touristy as Breck or more so. But it's right on the highway, so also has several chain motels and a shopping plaza with a Walmart and the usual stuff.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Which is more walkable - Frisco or Breckenridge?

I've got a box to pick up at the PO in Breckenridge but it looks trivial to move up to Frisco after picking up my package.

Breck is more walkable IMO meaning all things are closer together from the Fireside Hostel as home base. Haven't yet stayed at the Bivvi Hostel in Breck but eagerly wanting to.

The outfitter in Breck purchasing a major piece I find high priced. The Patagucci Outlet in Breck I've found some killer out of season low priced close outs. Outfitters in Frisco, Silverthorne, and Dillon though. Silverthorne had or used to have the GoLite outlet(might be MY Trail now?) that I scored some killer deals. Bought and mailed home. Two grocery stores and USPO easily walked to from Fireside. Hop a bus head to the nearby edge of town and there're the dispensaries. There are so many different options.

Frisco it depends on where you stay too. That's also easily walkable. I kinda like rubbing elbows as a smelly hiker though in Breck.

Journal Entries

Its straightforward with the free shuttle
    Dont neglect timing/transfer time, or the half mile roadwalk to the trail by the far east lot

Copper to breck is less el. If i recsll

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Its straightforward with the free shuttle
    Dont neglect timing/transfer time, or the half mile roadwalk to the trail by the far east lo

Copper to breck is less el. If i recsll

Are you talking about catching the bus from the CT to either Frisco or Breckenridge? I thought the stop was within sight of where the trail crosses Hwy 9?

BTW, I've got some points to burn so I'll be at the Doubletree in Breckenridge. Looks to be within a half mile of most things

Journal Entries

Are you talking about catching the bus from the CT to either Frisco or Breckenridge? I thought the stop was within sight of where the trail crosses Hwy 9?

BTW, I've got some points to burn so I'll be at the Doubletree in Breckenridge. Looks to be within a half mile of most things
    Catch first bus to breck rec center from town might take 30-45 min depending on timing.

Then summut stage bus it might run every 30 min or so from breck to frisco, But takes 30+ min too with stops.

Catching it at hwy 9 crossing picks up less often I think.

Then at frisco tansfer station, it might be every hour or so to Copper, but take 30 min. In end, it might take you 3+hrs to get to copper. So just plan for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Catch first bus to breck rec center from town might take 30-45 min depending on timing.

Then summut stage bus it might run every 30 min or so from breck to frisco, But takes 30+ min too with stops.

Catching it at hwy 9 crossing picks up less often I think.

Then at frisco tansfer station, it might be every hour or so to Copper, but take 30 min. In end, it might take you 3+hrs to get to copper. So just plan for it.
    3 hours? I'll probably uber then. Time

Journal Entries

3 hours? I'll probably uber then. Time

Get summit stage app on phone, shows bused routed and real time positions. These buses do lots local stops like school bus, not point to point

Don't eat at the Mexican restaurant......Mi Casa.....felt sick for several hours after.....was recommended by hostel but didn't sit well with me....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++