WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default How undermining the word "Just" can be....

The more I am out there on the trail, the more I hear it. I am guilty of it but have started breaking the habit. Let me set the scene...

Walking up the trail and pass Mr. or Ms. thru hiker...

Me:"Going to Maine?"
    Thru Hiker: "Well I'm trying what about you?"
    Me: "Oh I'm just a section hiker, only out for the weekend knocking out some more miles"

... A few minutes later...Arrives Mr. thru hikers friend..

New Thru hiker talking to me: "Hey you a thru hiker??"
    Mr. Thru Hiker: "No he's just a section a hiker"

Its not something that aggravates me a great deal but I am tired of hearing it. My trip/ journey is no less important than a thru hikers they are equal, same as any one else out using the trail. I am curious if anyone else has noticed this trend on either side of the coin because I hear it from just as many section hikers explaining their own trip as I do thru hikers talking about day hikers and section hikers.

I feel like a lot of people would give me a weird look around the picanic table if I said - "Oh he's just a thru hiker" lol
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 07-18-2017 at 09:35.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thank you for saying this. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough.

Garlic
    Images

I think you mean "undermining?"

On my trail construction crew, we joke about that word a lot. When the boss starts using it, you know it's going to be a hard day. "Just move these rocks...."

For what it's worth, I thought a thru-hike of the AT was easier than piecing together the logistics of a section hike. Of course, you need to build the kind of life that allows you to take multiple months off, and that can be a different kind of difficulty.

My response to questions like that are phrased in a way that don't demean my own journey or give unnecessary information (for safety reasons). I would have replied, "Not today, how about you?" Occasionally I'll say it in a way that makes fun of myself or them.

Section hikers need to respect themselves. It's much more difficult to be a section hiker than a thru hiker.
    And thru hikers need to realize that those who are "just" section hikers often have much more hiking experience than they do.

Section hikes are harder than thrus.

Also, from years in the IT/Project Management field - the word "just" is ALWAYS a trap. "Well, Mr Programmer, can't you _just_ make it look like THIS?" or "It's JUST a little change..."

Journal Entries

I always felt that we are all section hikers until we have hike the entire trail.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I always felt that we are all section hikers until we have hike the entire trail.
    I have respect for people when they say "Well I am attempting a thru hike, but am section hiking until I finish" or something along those lines...

Try something similar to what the Country boy did here...11:40....https://youtu.be/r94G_i32x2U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I'm sure some thrus say it in a demeaning way, I've always taken it as them looking for other thrus to share their journey with and sections hikers will just be around for a brief period.

I have no problem telling thrus I'm just out for the night. Then again they are mostly dreamers when I run into them. Would you feel better telling them you were a section hiker if you had already thru'd? If so, Why should that matter?

"Just" is a wonderful word in my not so humble opinion.

Works just as well for yer ol pal Bill as it does for any of us... as in "I'm just a hiker"
    Also applies in the reverse as in 'Yer just a hiker'

If'n you happen to meet an uppity snot I suggest you just treat them appropriately.

Me: Hey good to see you out here.
    Snot: Are you thru-hiking?
    Me: No, I plan to hike for awhile still.
    Snot: I mean are you going to hike the whole trail.
    Me: Yar, I plan on thru-hiking the PCT.
    Snot: But this is the Appalachian Trail
    Me: Are you quite sure?
    Snot: Yes, I have an app.
    Me: Well it's going to be a particularly long walk then I suppose. Do I need an app for that or should I just keep walking?

You can also go with LASH as some like to say, explain your naughty bedroom habits and how reading that one book 'fifty shades of grey' really motivated you to take up hiking.

There's also a good reason many call it 'just' walking.

And if anyone deserves a pedestal; it's the hiker who just dedicates year after year of one week's precious vacation time over a decade or two to quietly chip away at completing a trail. The first week of any trip is the hardest. Doing the hardest week 20-25 times once a year is a certain kind of dedication that's just a bit more noteworthy IMO.

Just getting the opportunity to thru-hike is special, as is completing one... plain and simple it's just special.

Often the best plan is just to take a deep breath and just realize that some folks just haven't quite walked enough trail to understand what Just means.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    The more I am out there on the trail, the more I hear it. I am guilty of it but have started breaking the habit. Let me set the scene...

Walking up the trail and pass Mr. or Ms. thru hiker...

Me:"Going to Maine?"
    Thru Hiker: "Well I'm trying what about you?"
    Me: "Oh I'm just a section hiker, only out for the weekend knocking out some more miles"

... A few minutes later...Arrives Mr. thru hikers friend..

New Thru hiker talking to me: "Hey you a thru hiker??"
    Mr. Thru Hiker: "No he's just a section a hiker"

Its not something that aggravates me a great deal but I am tired of hearing it. My trip/ journey is no less important than a thru hikers they are equal, same as any one else out using the trail. I am curious if anyone else has noticed this trend on either side of the coin because I hear it from just as many section hikers explaining their own trip as I do thru hikers talking about day hikers and section hikers.

I feel like a lot of people would give me a weird look around the picanic table if I said - "Oh he's just a thru hiker" lol

that is very ZEN

http://detoxifynow.com/zen-and-sufi-parables/

When I began section hiking, I felt "unworthy" and referred to myself as "just a section hiker," but after a few hikes, I realized that I had no desire to do a thru. At that point, I called myself a section hiker and continue to do so, proudly. Folks, it isn't a competition; just enjoy yourself out there whatever your plans.

That word just is limiting and in context of a thruhiker saying "youre just a section hiker that certainly can be done in a demeaning attiitude with a big egotistical the hiker chip on their shoulder. I had to check my ego from having that attitude. It came about when I became less ignorant by appreciating the different, in some very real ways harder, aspects section hikers experience. I think it ridiculous so many give greater hiking meaning to named trails or routes anyway as only after a route is named or popular it's worthy of being hiked or recognition.

For those on AT thrus with that thru hiker chip on their shoulder when I want to offer them some humble pie I'll ask "are you JUST hiking the AT between Springer and Katahdin?" If they continue in a condescending haughy thru hikers is only what it's all about attitude I'll than say "ohh that's JUST the shortened EASY version." Really though ive found dont hike with your own or paying undue attention to others over inflated condescending ego is the best attitude. Last thing I want is to have my goallls of peace, patience, love, generosity, faith, onsideration, hope, quest for wisdom, etc side tracked by undue excessive ignorance, anger, fear, bitterness, pride...

Really what is a thru hike? Can't it be defined as completing a hike between ANY two pre chosen pts.

If you look for a reason to feel minimized, you'll find one. It's up to you how happy you are on the trail. I was walking through Hot Springs after experiencing a terrible night's sleep, and I was whining to another hiker about it. The guy remained entirely positive and flat out refused to commiserate with me. It was awesome, he was awesome!

You're out on the trail for your own reasons. There's very little that's special or noteworthy about hikers as a group. There's a whole lot that's amazing about hikers individually. I can't recall a single hiker putting down another hiker because of the relative distance they planned to travel. Not a single one.

it's just walkin'

In the thru-hikers' defense, he used the same description the section hiker used. I've done that before when describing someone...with an implied <he said>. Maybe the thru meant, <he said> "he's just a section hiker."

On my (limited) hikes on the PCT, the first thing I noticed is that no one asked me my business. The standard greeting was, "Are you having a good hike?", or "How's your hike?". Maybe it was a coincidence but I really liked that.

Them: Are you thru hiking?
    Me: Nope, and I hope I'm not threw hiking for a long time come.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Maybe not take things so personal?

When I say I'm "just hiking a section" that's what I mean. I don't mean to imply that I'm "a lowly section hiker".

If someone else suggests I'm "just a section hiker" and I'm just hiking a section - where is the error in that?

"Just" ≠ "Less than"

I've used it as Gambit has to refer to myself when asked variations of these questions "Are you thruhiking?", "Are you a thruhiker", or "Heading to Maine?". Then I sometimes say, "Nope, just a section-hiker". In the past I did to some degree consider section-hiking to be a lesser state for me. This is because I always wanted to thruhike and didn't get to. But over time I have come to realize they are two different experiences with different pros and cons and I am very much at peace with being a section-hiker. I can't recall the just every being reflected back at me negatively. I do recall one time saying I was "just a section hiker" in response to a thruhiker inquiring about my hike and the thruhiker said something along the lines of "we are all just hikers". Nowadays I may still say it but it is only meant to indicate a neutral contrast. I generally use the word just for factual information, I am just stating the facts.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I'm with 10k on this. It doesn't both me at all and I've said it numerous times about myself. Then again, I've been both a thru and section hiker. Maybe its me that is looking down on the potential thru-hiker since since they haven't actually thru-hiked yet and I have. I do seem to be smile knowingly a bit too much around them.

Actually what I've noticed more often in recent years on the PCT (though it just might be the increase in numbers so I see it more often) is some people trying to thru-hike just aren't much interested in any one else who isn't. They have a very strong sense of being part of a community (PCT wannabe Thru-hiker) and you aren't one of us since they clearly have more experience having JUST hiked continuously for several weeks or months and are one of the chosen ones. I just smile and ignore them as they aren't going to ruin my day; never mind that I could have told them that the next water source has dried up due to the drought (not likely a problem people will see this year I suspect). But the overwhelming majority of thrus are very happy to talk to anyone new as they are tired of the same stories from their group and are grateful for a few words of info from personal experience about the trail ahead of them. I do find that SOBOs tend to be more chatty then NOBOs though; I suspect from the higher number of days of isolation.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++