WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Water Report?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Default Water Report?

Does anyone know how the water situation is currently between Carver's Gap and Dennis Cove Road in Tennessee? Thank you in advance. 👍🤜🤛
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Did carvers to 19e 3-4 weeks ago. After the intersection of AT and Grassy Ridge, the trail is usually wet with a running stream, but most of my experiences there require a dipper to collect water.

There were people humping up from Stan Murray Trail Right going northbound to get water.

Overmountain Shelter. I always tell people that if the main source is dry on the gravel road, keep walking down the gravel road. The sources seem to get stronger as you go, and at .8 miles you are at the TH for the overmountain trail, and there is a creek there!.

The source was running before Bradley Gap

Doll Flats tent site has a longer, but nice water trail that is boggy around the source but the water itself is good - do not know the historical reliability of this source.

Mountain Harbor B&B is a great .2 off trail stop at 19E, obviously water there but a meal time food trailer, cold drinks and snacks. Very clean hostel as well as tenting and a tree house. I would steer clear of Doe River hostel as he has been known to be aggressive with hikers and in making choices for them.

After you pass 19E my memory has faded on water sources but know that the trail runs along the elk river for quite some time and after hitting the mountaineer Falls shelter there are many stream crossings on the north side of the shelter(not necessarily right at the shelter but in the miles after it(nobo of the shelter).

I do not recall water source information from the FS road north of mountaineer shelter to Dennis cove. That stretch for me was a day hike due to very bad weather.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

TN/NC has been getting a bit of popup thuderstorms. But this is usually a very reliable section. You won't find much worry in water here. Just avoid waters near 19E and up Bishops Hollow.

Major sources should be good.

Sources North of Walnut Mtn Road (from Gambits description)
    Upper Laurel Fork foot bridge and Van Gogh hostel
    Bitter End Road - More substantial water -Follow the FSR north to Laurel Fork trail access
    Hardcore Cascade
    Moreland Gap Shelter
    Canute Place
    Coon Den blue blaze
    on approach to Dennis Cove
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 07-18-2017 at 13:59.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Journal Entries
    Images

I need water reports 150 miles north or south of Damascus....

++ New Posts ++