WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hike - Fox Creek to Damascus

I was considering doing a three day/two night section hike from Fox Creek to Damascus in August. I was going to park in Damascus and hike back. How doable and hard of a hike will that be? Any ideas on an itinerary or where to camp? Will water be an issue? Any other useful information I should know?

I just returned from that trip early this morning. It is a challenging and rewarding hike. Water won't be an issue. Sunburn was an issue in the Grayson Highlands - lots of meadow/open walking. Yellow jackets are out. We saw a copperhead. Got caught in a hail storm with cold hard rain and lightning at the Scales. The rockiness of the terrain caught me by surprise. I've done every step from Spring to here, and I think this is by far the sorest my feet have been. But it was a wonderful trip that went very well.

We parked at Damascus Saturday late morning, ate lunch, and got on the trail at noontime. Camped at a site about two miles past Saunders Shelter (that's a very nice shelter, by the way). On Sunday, 16 miles to Thomas Knob (very nice shelter, lots of good campsites). Then 13 miles to Fox Creek Road.

The end of the second day (Buzzard Rock) is very scenic - don't miss the wonderful spring about half a mile past Buzzard Rock. It shoots out of a pipe like it means business!

The third day (Grayson Highlands) is the "money" day. Exquisite views and walking.

My companions thought the stiffest climb - four miles up to Whitetop Mountain - was tougher than the climb up Roan Mountain. I thought it was the other way around.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

That's a great hike, easily doable in 3 days. It's not particularly hard - the climb up Whitetop will get your attention but there's a nice long downhill to reward you when you get over the top.

I just hiked this section not too long ago and don't remember any water issues. You could walk the Creeper Trail into Damascus the last 12 or so miles - it's a very nice stroll.

A great stretch. I would weigh if you want to finish in town with food, or save the best for last(Grayson) on which direction you go.
    If you aren't trying to complete every bit of the trail, I would personally Park at Elk Garden go nobo to pine mountain trail, tent there, and then head back to elk garden the next day.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Great section....I'm hoping to take my wife to do that section mid October when it cools down...by far my favorite section...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    I just returned from that trip early this morning. It is a challenging and rewarding hike. Water won't be an issue. Sunburn was an issue in the Grayson Highlands - lots of meadow/open walking. Yellow jackets are out. We saw a copperhead. Got caught in a hail storm with cold hard rain and lightning at the Scales. The rockiness of the terrain caught me by surprise. I've done every step from Spring to here, and I think this is by far the sorest my feet have been. But it was a wonderful trip that went very well.

We parked at Damascus Saturday late morning, ate lunch, and got on the trail at noontime. Camped at a site about two miles past Saunders Shelter (that's a very nice shelter, by the way). On Sunday, 16 miles to Thomas Knob (very nice shelter, lots of good campsites). Then 13 miles to Fox Creek Road.

The end of the second day (Buzzard Rock) is very scenic - don't miss the wonderful spring about half a mile past Buzzard Rock. It shoots out of a pipe like it means business!

The third day (Grayson Highlands) is the "money" day. Exquisite views and walking.

My companions thought the stiffest climb - four miles up to Whitetop Mountain - was tougher than the climb up Roan Mountain. I thought it was the other way around.
    Curious how were temperatures and bugs?

A rather unusual cool front had passed through, so we got unusually nice weather. Saturday and Sunday were clear, mild (60s or 70s for highs, 50s for lows). Low humidity, so views awesome. Wind shifted Sunday, more humid, warmer, summer thunderstorms.

There were a few biting flies from Damascus to Lost Mountain Shelter, none higher up. A few yellow jackets. No mosquitos. No ticks.

Food has always been a great motivator for me, that is why we were thinking about hike to Damascus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    A rather unusual cool front had passed through, so we got unusually nice weather. Saturday and Sunday were clear, mild (60s or 70s for highs, 50s for lows). Low humidity, so views awesome. Wind shifted Sunday, more humid, warmer, summer thunderstorms.

There were a few biting flies from Damascus to Lost Mountain Shelter, none higher up. A few yellow jackets. No mosquitos. No ticks.
    Sounds like you timed it perfect! Thinking I'll wait till October when it's cooler....

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    A great stretch. I would weigh if you want to finish in town with food, or save the best for last(Grayson) on which direction you go.
    If you aren't trying to complete every bit of the trail, I would personally Park at Elk Garden go nobo to pine mountain trail, tent there, and then head back to elk garden the next day.
    I disagree with this advice. Elk Garden to Pine Mountain Trail junction and back would mean missing most of the most superb Grayson Highlands scenery.

An possible variation of that might be to do a loop like this: Elk Garden to Thomas Knob Shelter (day one); down Pine Mountain Trail to AT then back north, staying at Wise Shelter or coming all the way back to Thomas Knob; then back to Elk Garden on day three. That loop would catch all of the Grayson Highlands (except Buzzard Rock, which is wonderful in its own right).

Whatever you choose, have fun!

Images

I've hiked that section many times, but always southbound to finish in Damascus. It takes three solid days for many hikers, I think, though I've seen some take five or more. If it were me I would want to spend more time in the open highlands and I would slow down a bit there. Probably drive up at noon Friday, hike up from Fox Creek to Scales or thereabouts, then take a long, full day to get through the high country to the top of Whitetop (+1 on the great spring, it's 200m south of the parking area at the top of the summit road), then camp along the Creeper Trail on Sunday, then into Damascus by lunchtime on Monday.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

That is a beautiful hike! My recommendation if you are going southbound:

Day 1: Fox Creek -> Thomas Knob Shelter. If you're not crazy about hiking 13 miles on the AT your first day, you can take the Pine Mtn trail which rejoins the AT at Rhododenron Gap. This route is more like 8 miles, but you miss some cool parts of the trail around The Scales and Massie Gap (you might also miss out on the ponies!)

Day 2: Thomas Knob Shelter -> Lost Mtn Shelter. 12 miles, much easier going SOBO since it's mostly downhill. Very cool scenery at Elk Gardens, Whitetop Mtn, and Buzzard Rock.

Day 3: Lost Mtn Shelter -> Damascus. I highly recommend taking the VA Creeper Trail instead of the AT. The Creeper Trail is shorter (12 miles vs 16), easier, and more scenic than the AT.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Sounds like you timed it perfect! Thinking I'll wait till October when it's cooler....
    Make sure you are prepared for cold weather if you are going in mid-October. That's when I did this section, and the low was near freezing up on Thomas Knob with 20-30 mph winds to boot.
    It's all good in the woods.

Would you expect there to be room in the shelters on a weekend in August? Or will they fill up quickly?

++ New Posts ++