WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Does accepting a salt tab constitute support?
    The answer is no.

only accepting truly random acts of kindness (trail magic) that come my way
    Although there's push for future aspirants to do do away with accepting any kind of trail magic, he's following previously established guidelines for a self-supported attempt. And bumping into some trail runners with extra salt counts as a truly random act of kindness, not prearranged.

Of all controversy surrounding guidelines, I applaud him for taking care to post honest, thorough and timely documentation (how else would we have learned about the salt tab?) With that said, hopefully his start date getting out hasn't dissuaded him from continuing to share daily splits...

Right on thanks for clarification! Good info

I could honestly care less if someone has a coke and a smile or the salt of life, but going forward, what's the difference? Both are life giving at times.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I could honestly care less if someone has a coke and a smile or the salt of life, but going forward, what's the difference? Both are life giving at times.
    Much love and respect for Joey C. and his top-notch 2014 hike (not to mention exhaustive and entertaining documentation: http://joeycamps.blogspot.com/2014/ ). It wasn't a coke and smile, but the rides he took near the end that kept him from claiming a self-supported FKT. His deference to past precedent is... Unprecedented.

I think we're all going to be rooting for him on his next adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Much love and respect for Joey C. and his top-notch 2014 hike (not to mention exhaustive and entertaining documentation: http://joeycamps.blogspot.com/2014/ ). It wasn't a coke and smile, but the rides he took near the end that kept him from claiming a self-supported FKT. His deference to past precedent is... Unprecedented.

I think we're all going to be rooting for him on his next adventure!
    no doubt. Just pointing out sugar, salt, or food are all performance enhancers.

...or can be

Joe McConaughy's really crushing it at this point. I see on his Instagram page he reached partnership shelter (mi 532.2) at the end of day 11. That's averaging 48.38 miles a day. At that pace he would reach Katahdin in 45.54 days shattering the record set by Anish at 54 days 7hr 48 min. Not sure if Dan Knotts record 53 day 23 hr is lagit yet.
    One other note, I saw where Joey Camps left a comment on McConaughy's Istagram page during the very early going. So you know Camps is following this too.

I'm 100% rooting for him, even more that I would normally be rooting since I crossed paths with this guy not knowing who he was last week on the trail. When I met him I looked him over, saw his kit, and actually thought to myself, is this some kind of FKTer? Then I come home and get on WB and low-and-behold...

We'll see if his raw feet and bruised hip hold up. He's really pushing the limits...

This has definitely been fun to watch so far. Seems like he's actually enjoying the trail and not just suffering through.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

day 13 - 57.1 mi wow
    day 14 - 50 mi
    day 15 - 41.5 mi
    So now he's got an injury to his quad. Could be all over we'll have to wait and see
    https://www.instagram.com/thestring.bean/

I love it. Ordered 3 medium pizzas at Pizza Hut but could only eat three

Any news?
    Gotta figure with a delay it's been a bit since his injury- hope it's nothing serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Any news?
    Gotta figure with a delay it's been a bit since his injury- hope it's nothing serious.
    Cut and paste from Insta-O-Gram:

thestring.beanDay 16: Daleville, VA (727.1) to Harrison Ground Springs Campground (771.8). 14:40/44.7 miles. INJURY UPDATE ��: so, my knee is now swollen and not letting me run. So I took the day of running - and hiked instead! It is amazing what you can accomplish when you are diligent and directed, although some easy terrain in the first half helped! I put in maybe 10-20 minutes total of running towards the end of the day, so we will see how tomorrow turns out. Which leg is tweaked? How much do you have to want it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    Cut and paste from Insta-O-Gram: thestring.beanDay 16: Daleville, VA (727.1) to Harrison Ground Springs Campground (771.8). 14:40/44.7 miles. INJURY UPDATE ��: so, my knee is now swollen and not letting me run.
    This update bears uncanny resemblance to a distant memory. Complete with similar injury, section... even photo!
    Probably where the similarities end, though. I can't really fathom Joe's pace thus far!

If math serves, as of Daleville, he has to avg. 37mpd the rest of the way for the self-supported mark, and 47mpd for the supported mark. Knowing what lies ahead, I'd encourage him to play it conservative and heal up at this juncture...
    But what's the point of taking advice from a slow poke?!

Another update this morning...

thestring.beanDay 17: Harrison Ground Springs Campground (771.8) to Shelley-Woodward Shelter (827.9). 13:58/47.1 miles. I think cobweb is a good analogy for my body, everything is interwoven and connected, no matter how strong each part is. Today I ran more, and my knee kept swelling. I eventually had to put in the towel and powerhike the last 4 hours, but that isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm calling it #swellgate. I'm ready for this quad thing to be over, but I think I need to focus on being more positive first.

I'm wondering if he still on. I won't say where I was until he does in case he isn't done....

But I did 20 odd miles the last two days and never came off trail. We ran into 2 thrus yesterday who said they were with SB the day before. Heading oppo directions, he would have had to have passed us. He either had to shorten a day and then passed us in camp while we were asleep, or he came off trail. If he had to shorten his day theres gonna be some impact d assume.

Interested for next updates

Not sure how to copy text from Instagram but day 18 he's back to running so seems like quad issue has passed he knocked out 49 +miles for the day. Says he's looking forward to the flatter terrain coming up in the next couple of weeks, so he can pick up the pace. LOL!! This guy is a machine. Seems to know his body really well.

Appears he just passed you, he's not your normal trailmate

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXfaNIKFHEI/

Current average mileage is almost 49 miles per day. Wow.

How does resupply work on self supported FKT attempts? Mail drops only?!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++