WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

I have said it before and do not say it lightly: The rules are there to protect the hiker.

When working on Matt's book, I got to see one of these 'grey areas' from a unique perspective.
    His hike sits as one of the cleanest examples on how to do one of these right, but he's still quite human. So are all the folks who do these.

The bulk of the book was finished, but this particular 'incident' became a bit of a sticking point to wrap up. I think few people have judged Matt harder than he judged himself.

On the one hand, this was like watching a perfectly clean mouthed person who accidentally let slip a curse word... mildly amusing to see an otherwise perfect person have a very human (and very minor) flaw. I almost laughed aloud when Matt finally disclosed his 'sin' on paper as it was one hardly worth the discussion. It's the classic line in a movie where the preacher accidentally says "damn it" and his humanity is revealed.

On the other hand it was a bit heartbreaking to see such a tiny chink cause so much pain. Most of us are not perfect. Such meaningless grey areas of morality are part of our normal day. I suspect even now that last post was a bit difficult to type fer good ol Matt Kirk. A fella more willing to stick up for another hiker than many realize.

Folks who do this stuff are highly disciplined and focused. There are hours and hours of personal sacrifices, training, and dedication over the years we don't get to see that precede the final big show. Some very rigid layers of moral codes that one must hold themselves to in order to even set foot on the starting line with a realistic shot. I still firmly believe that crappy people don't have a shot, the trail keeps them out one way or another... a form of trail magic if you like.

There are some questions with Joe's hike. Some blank spots in his Instagram, some holes in the 'in progress' data.
    No matter your thoughts; the truth is it is a disservice to Knotts to simply accept Stringbean's hike without the same standard of review. If we are to have rules at all, then we must have them for all.

As it sits trail magic remains a valid practice on a self-supported hike. Even if guidelines or rules evolve they are not retroactive, and there is no current prohibition on trail magic that is truly random.

The only problem with banning it in the future: is then anyone who would care to could step forward and claim to have given you support, or even seen you pass by one of the ever growing numbers of feeds at road crossings. And then we would have to wonder if one truly wandered past all such temptation, we'd have to grill trail angels, 'Yes you saw him walk through, and he said hi, but did you see him eat anything?'

Trail magic remains a slippery slope, perhaps the last one to discuss. Perhaps it's time for this one to be added as well.
    I do hope this offseason we can get everyone together and put a standard together that will allow us all to move on.

On the one hand this is mildly amusing, when the salt tab was brought up in particular.

Joe will turn in documentation, his GPS, photos, and other evidence. It will hopefully plug any holes in his trip.
    His hike can go from a claim, to a verified FKT. A truly amazing one at that. Most will move on, some won't, but that's life.

On the other hand it's horribly heartbreaking as well.

When the dust settles and all is said and done... Joe will have to sit around and try to draw some hard lines around the grey areas.
    These are not perfect people, but for a brief bit all the years of work do coalesce into about as close as humans get to perfection for the brief bit these moments last. He will remember, years later... not the 1000's of positive comments, but the one or two negative ones. The slight flaws that mar perfection.

And they will bother him. His name will sit on Peter's site, those few of us who enjoy these will reminisce in wonder at the time. The trolls who made nasty comments will find another bridge to hide under and forget the unkind, uniformed and thoughtless comments they made. But eventually the human being behind the FKT has to sit around and relive and live with the hike.

The rules are there to protect the hiker.

Ounces are the little-death

Quote Originally Posted by James GAME2009 View Post
    To me it is very clear that Stringbean's hike falls into the unsupported category.
    You're killing me, Smalls.

Quote Originally Posted by James GAME2009 View Post
    To me it is very clear that Stringbean's hike falls into the unsupported category. It doesn't take a close examination to see that his hike was very, very difference from Speedgoat's fully-supported style, or Jennifer's fully-supported style. Stringbean had to hike into town, deal with logistical issues regarding getting food, laundry, etc. He didn't have fresh shoes and socks waiting at every road crossing with an ice bath, or a crew ready to run to town to satisfy his food cravings. If Stringbean accepted a little bit of food, which he seems to have been fully transparent about, this does not negate his unsupported hike. At very most it might put an asterisk next to it, for those who are looking to split hairs.
    It's actually a "self-supported" hike. Unsupported means you take everything you are going to need (all food) and don't do any resupplying while under way.

My feeling on trail magic is that it fits with self supported because it's not something you can count on. If some nice person gives you batteries (or salt tabs) just when you need them, well that's terrific. But if that person wasn't there, didn't have your size batteries, or wasn't willing to part with them you'd be screwed (or at least unable to continue in the dark.) Also, acquiring "trail magic" is another thru hiking skill, I imagine. You usually can't just walk up to some random person and say "Hey, have you got some AA batteries you'd be willing to part with?" There's an interactional process, which of course takes some time as well.

I met Stringbean (briefly) at Katahdin Stream Campground at about 4PM. He took the time to register as a thru with the campground ranger before jogging through, waving at family, and heading on up. His sister told me a Boston Globe photographer, and other folks, had headed up earlier to meet him at the sign. Not sure when they all made it back down.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    But like I said, I agree that this is a slippery slope. What happens when that percentage starts creeping up? What to make of asking for batteries, errands, other favors? When does this become a supported hike? These are all good questions to which I don't have answers. Ultimately, this all hinges on honest and thorough documentation from the claimant. I give Joe credit for crediting his angels. I also look forward to a more thorough account of his feat!
    When time between records may be measured in hours today, allowing a little outside "luck" , such as batteries, or free food at opportune time, could affect outcome in close contests. That would be a shame.

Theres one way to insure it never becomes issue.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    RE yogi/magic: I agree that it's a gray area and a slippery slope. Those who've been following these FKTs for a while know that in 2013, I received trail magic on several occasions with one in particular being a classic yogi scenario. This encounter and most all others were reported on daily video journals. Since then, I've been called out by some who hold an embellished perception of the event (most recently here on WB). A few more thoughts on the matter:

First of all, this issue is inexorably linked to the need for greater transparency. In the thread linked above, OP considers my 2013 hike a DQ while praising Anish. I can't blame him for a lack of access to 2015 documentation revealing how I'm not the only self-supported FKT claimant "guilty" of yogi/magic encounters. How I know this: a random friend's FB post. This is unfortunate, as honest and thorough documentation should remain the standard.

So while I (rightly or wrongly) rationalized that no such yogi/magic encounter in 2013 constituted prearranged support (another one of seven self-imposed guidelines), I also readily and publicly accounted for these events. As for the numbers (taken from my response in thread linked above): the estimated calories that I received from hikers along the entire trail amounted to ~2000; ~500 were yogi-ed; a drop in the bucket (0.17%) to total calories burned.

But like I said, I agree that this is a slippery slope. What happens when that percentage starts creeping up? What to make of asking for batteries, errands, other favors? When does this become a supported hike? These are all good questions to which I don't have answers. Ultimately, this all hinges on honest and thorough documentation from the claimant. I give Joe credit for crediting his angels. I also look forward to a more thorough account of his feat!
    I agree that "trail magic" and the time honored tradition of a good yogi is a slippery slope. Announcing to the public that you have been craving thick crust, double pepperoni pizza and then having a magical "hiker feed" of thick crust double pepperoni pizza 20 miles later would certainly blur the lines. And the hiker could claim they did nothing to arrange it. I wonder how close to this scenario we have already had happen. Hmmm.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

Anyone else watching this? Joe is a poised and thoughtful speaker, not overly humble, its interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by pbakwin View Post
    My feeling on trail magic is that it fits with self supported because it's not something you can count on. If some nice person gives you batteries (or salt tabs) just when you need them, well that's terrific. But if that person wasn't there, didn't have your size batteries, or wasn't willing to part with them you'd be screwed (or at least unable to continue in the dark.) Also, acquiring "trail magic" is another thru hiking skill, I imagine. You usually can't just walk up to some random person and say "Hey, have you got some AA batteries you'd be willing to part with?" There's an interactional process, which of course takes some time as well.
    Far less time than having to hike into town for whatever it is that is VITAL to your record attempt. The batteries, apparently, were vital. Food is vital. To the extent that you can stay on the trail and out of town by MOOCHING(let's call a yogi what it is) what VITAL things you need when you need them, you have a clear, definitive strategic/logistic/performance advantage over a hiker who does not accept "kindness" from strangers. Plus, this "magic" or "kindness" is supposed to be "random". Like you stumble across a hiker feed already in progress. Not, "Hey man, I'm so-and-so and I'm going for a FKT and my SPOT batteries have died, do you have some I can Yogi?"

But apparently, I am wrong and it is ok to try and set a "self-supported" by mooching for vital items when you need them instead of planning ahead or going into town. Instead of planning ahead or going into town. Maybe that clarifies my point?

I never considered myself a troll, JB. I just don't think mooching vs. hiking is fair when you are setting a "self-supported" record. You should be hiking for what you need, not mooching.

Quote Originally Posted by pbakwin View Post
    Thank you Peter. Since you're an administrator on the FKT Website I'll consider your statement as the one that counts.

I do have a question for you or anyone else who wishes to chime in. On your website it list these guidelines/rules for a FKT. Under self-supported it says
    "[*]Self-supported means that you don't carry everything you need from the start, but you don't have dedicated, pre-arranged people helping you. This is commonly done a couple different ways: You might put out stashes of supplies for yourself prior to the trip, or you might just use what's out there, such as stores, begging from other trail users, etc.
    So how did it go from being able to beg, or I will assume even asking other hikers if you can buy food or supplies from them to "only acts of random kindness" are to be accepted?

Journal Entries

The logic of accepting free stuff
    conflicts with the logic of declining free rides to town

It causes chance to become part of the contest, which we usually attempt to avoid in contests.

Future FKT will be so close, this chance will be a deciding factor. In the past it may not have been when days were the difference, not minutes.

Another issue is preventing trail magic from being "planted" by people to help attempters. No way to prevent. Easy way for friends who know location of runner to help them.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-03-2017 at 11:45.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

It causes chance to become part of the contest, which we usually attempt to avoid in contests.

Future FKT will be so close, this chance will be a deciding factor. In the past it may not have been when days were the difference, not minutes.
    My opinion is that accepting magic and/or mooching is within the current FKT self-supported guidelines, BUT, if I were attempting the self-supported FKT (which will never occur) or was advising another athlete, I'd urge them to raise the bar a little bit and decline all magic and mooching. Why not? It'd be a cleaner hike and put more emphasis on pre-planned logistics, which I think is an under appreciated aspect of these hikes.

Stringbean lost 3 hours waiting for a ferry. His record (if it holds, which I believe it will) will very likely be bettered by a margin of less than 3 hours.

Ounces are the little-death

Were there accounts of him having to rearrange his schedule to get to drop boxes on time or anything like that?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Another issue is preventing trail magic from being "planted" by people to help attempters. No way to prevent. Easy way for friends who know location of runner to help them.
    exactly.....

Joe gives this interview to the Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport....html#comments

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Were there accounts of him having to rearrange his schedule to get to drop boxes on time or anything like that?
    I think his only significant delay was the Kennebec River Ferry, but there were a couple of times he had to race to get to a resupply location before it closed. Stuff like that. Oh, come to think of it, he waited around at Bear's Den for 3 or 4 hours too.

Will we get a glimpse of String beans diet? All I know is that he has told media that he ate a sleeve of Oreos at lunch. And brought paper towels to put in his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Will we get a glimpse of String beans diet? All I know is that he has told media that he ate a sleeve of Oreos at lunch. And brought paper towels to put in his shoes.
    Per his instagram and spot data, there are roughly 200 pieces to go in his puzzle before he can get to sharing any further info.
    Per my spreadsheet: He should wrap up about 40 pieces as of yesterday and the remaining 160 pieces will get done in one big push today.

Meltzer says midnight, but I'm thinking 8:30 pm.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BYonD-hF...thestring.bean

Sheesh. I guess ask a silly question and get a silly response!! Thanks Jables for the data. Eagerly awaiting completion of the puzz.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Sheesh. I guess ask a silly question and get a silly response!! Thanks Jables for the data. Eagerly awaiting completion of the puzz.
    I do what I can...

Course probably could have just posted this- https://www.instagram.com/p/BVmv7UfF...thestring.bean

But that's much less fun.
    Probably time for a joke about eating everything in the picture but this is a PG website, not my book.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++