WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Joe McConaughy Going Unsupported on the AT

Joe McConaughy, who has held the supported record on the PCT since 2014, is attempting an unsupported run on the Appalachian Trail. In a July 18th announcement on Facebook, a spokesperson emphasized that Joe wants to keep his whereabouts private, "to prevent any unwanted assistance." The spokesperson noted that a documentary is being produced during the attempt.

Run for Colin Doc from 2014:

Heather "Anish" Anderson currently holds the unsupported AT record, 54d7h48m, set in 2015 going sobo. Like Anish, McConaughy set a record on the PCT before going unsupported on America's oldest long trail. Unlike Anish, this will be McConaughy's first unsupported hike.

McConaughy ran competitively at Boston College. With a combination of grit and a dialed support system, McConaughy was able to shave 6 days off Josh Garrett's supported record in 2014. He has since been a competitive ultramarathoner.

News article from his 2014 record: <http://nwpr.org/post/seattle-runner-...ic-crest-trail>

Facebook page: <https://www.facebook.com/RunForColin/>

Instagram: <https://www.instagram.com/thestring.bean/>
    Last edited by Linesman; 07-23-2017 at 11:23.

Cool! thanks for sharing!

Whoa. Serious challenge to Anish's record.

Thanks for the video link... hadn't seen that before.

Says on FB he's shooting for Karl's time! Good luck to Joe.

Sounds like he's planning on doing it right regardless- http://fastestknowntime.proboards.co...n-trail?page=7

Hello all! My name is Joe McConaughy, aka Stringbean. I would like to announce my intentions to pursue the self-supported FKT of the Appalachian Trail. I have gotten into contact with Heather Anderson and have deep respect for what she has done, both of the AT and PCT. In order to best provide clarity for my self-supported effort, I will follow the guidelines that have been established by previous attempts like Heather's (listed below).

I will begin my attempt in mid to late July, and the best way to track my progress is by following along at @thestring.bean on Instagram. In order to prevent unwanted aid that might question my attempt, all posts will be backdated. In addition, I will be carrying a GPS Gen 3 Spot tracker. It will not be made public, but Peter Bakwin will be receiving real time updates. I am happy to share this link to anyone interested in verification. I consider these precautions very important to honor my efforts, and will also have video/photo documentation.

After having done the PCT in the supported style, I am very excited for the self-supported style, especially on a trail like the AT. Cheers!

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:55am anishnabe said:
    I formally state my intentions here–as per the protocol established on the main page of this site–that I will be attempting to set a self-supported FKT on the Appalachian Trail beginning in early August.
    I have immense respect for the long line of people who have traveled this well-established and historical path in a quest to find their personal limits. In keeping with protocols established by them, and by myself on previous endeavors, I will travel in a self-supported manner.
    This means:
    Arranging for no pre-planned outside support at any time, and only accepting truly random acts of kindness (trail magic) that come my way.
    I will carry all of my own gear and supplies at all times (no "slackpacking" or "muling").
    I will walk into and out of resupply locations where I will purchase food and/or collect supply boxes that I have sent to myself.
    I will follow the Appalachian Trail and official relocations only (such as the detour around Falls Village, CT), no blue blaze or alternate routes.
    When I leave the trail for resupply purposes, I will rejoin the trail at the same location I left, leaving a continuous line of footprints the entire distance.
    Never accepting a ride in a vehicle for any reason.
    As always, I will respect the wilderness landscape, the lives that dwell therein, other trail users, and the generations of users that will follow by practicing Leave No Trace Ethics.
    Per the main page suggestions I will provide a way for the public to follow along with my progress at facebook.com/AnishHikes. Please understand that the posts made there are in NO WAY an invitation for anyone to attempt to help me, find me, join me, or otherwise take away from the nature of a thru-hiker's journey. They are intended to document only, as suggested by this site. I will carry a SPOT beacon, although for safety, its logs will not be publicly available in real time.

I hope in my endeavor to not only bring parity to the male and female self-supported records, but if possible lower it overall. These records are currently held by Mr. Kirk and Miss Thomas, both of whom I hold in very high esteem.

This is my second journey through these ancient mountains and I look forward once again to the joy, struggle, challenge, and beauty of a 2,000+ mi hike undertaken in pursuit of finding and expanding my personal limits.

Heather "Anish" Anderson

Hot digitty dog!!

I thought Anish went sobo??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I thought Anish went sobo??
    Good catch

https://www.instagram.com/thestring.bean/

Day one and states he's sprained his right ankle twice

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    Joe wants to keep his whereabouts private, "to prevent any unwanted assistance."
    The cynic in me says that will also prevent any unwanted verification of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    The cynic in me says that will also prevent any unwanted verification of progress.
    He's supplying Bawkin with access to his real time position with the Gen 3 Spot tracker.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

His goal is 50 miles per day. I think that's pretty optimistic for a self supported effort from someone with no AT experience. But, I hope he does it!

Joe McConaughy, who has held the supported record on the PCT since 2014, is attempting an unsupported run on the Appalachian Trail. In a July 18th announcement on Facebook, a spokesperson emphasized that Joe wants to keep his whereabouts private, "to prevent any unwanted assistance." The spokesperson noted that a documentary is being produced during the attempt.

Run for Colin Doc from 2014:
    >
    Check out 8:50 in the video. Looks like something I would do, not an ultra-runner. LOL

I've had to get several boxes of popcorn out and put away again, sort of. Great fun to watch. Knotts put a bunch stuff on his FaceSpace page but may be early if Joe keeps chugging

I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure we passed this guy on the trail today about 2 miles north of Uncle Johnny's. We were walking southbound into Erwin. We were doing a very short section (Indian Grave to Erwin) which was left undone from a previous longer section. We were in the area and so got a ride up to Indian Grave from Uncle Johnny's and did the hike this morning. We passed a kid with the same pack/bottle setup hiking NOBO. I asked him "How far are you going today?" and he said, "Oh, about another 15-20." I thought it was odd because he looked like a UL thru-hiker but it was already noon and it seemed too late in the day to only be a couple miles out of the hostel. I also saw the upside down lilly posted today in his Instagram.

Images

Thats cool! I guess the cat's out of the bag as far as his location now. Secrecy is kind of a silly way to avoid support anyway. The best way to avoid support is probably not accepting support. Like maybe politely declining salt tabs offered to you on trail...

Thats cool! I guess the cat's out of the bag as far as his location now. Secrecy is kind of a silly way to avoid support anyway. The best way to avoid support is probably not accepting support. Like maybe politely declining salt tabs offered to you on trail...
    Yeah, I didn't mean to blow his cover... He's long gone by now anyway and I highly doubt anybody is going to run out to the trail to seek him out anyway... It's a relatively low-traffic time of year where he's cruisin' right now.... He's clearly keeping it cool... I gave him an entre to boast about his intentions, but he played it cool -- "oh just another 15-20 today...'

I've learned to just ask "how far are you going today?" when I cross paths with other hikers -- this alleviates any thru-hike BS...

Does accepting a salt tab constitute support?

Oh no! Joe explode

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Does accepting a salt tab constitute support?
    I think so. Although, who really knows? The rules aren't in writing, AFAIK. Could he claim a medical exemption?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++