WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Images

So, 9 am on 7/18 is one day; 9 am on 7/31 is 14 days totally in July; 9 am 8/1 is one day partially in Aug; and 9 am 8/29 (Kennebec) is 29 days partially in Aug at the end of day 43; 9 am on Sept 1 is 32 days partially in Aug or 46 days total or 2 hours past the deadline. Breath out at 7 am on Sept 1.

Yes, we all agree.

Meltzer even chimes in on the insta

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Meltzer even chimes in on the insta
    Yeah, just saw that...

• meltzerkarlfinishing time prediction: 11:24pm Thursday night. Don't let me down Stringbean, get that ****. My time to the Kennebec was 2 days, 15 hours, so he's got it as long as nothing stupid happens. almost out of the junk, if not already.

All credit where credit is due:
    Assuming Joe pulls one more magic bean from his string this is looking good!
    Based on his posts he sounded pretty messed up coming out of the whites, but if he's recovered and all goes well then I'm thinking after midnight in the early hours of the morning.
    He's gotta get through the baxter permit checkpoint and square that away.
    Weather is looking good (in millinocket anyway) with a slight chance of sprinkles today but clear skies tonight.
    Might be close to freezing up top but a little chill should keep him awake, lol.

This is as big or bigger than Williamson/Horton if Joe pulls this off... looking forward to hearing the good news. Overall or not, this is an amazing effort.

Best of luck and sure footing to Joe!

So 7am tomorrow is the deadline for overall, right?

I've been following this from the announcement. It is by far the most impressive effort I've seen on the AT. The fact that he went for the supported and unsupported record, all at once, on the "king" of long distance hiking trails, where the records have been set and set again by the biggest names in ultra-running is beyond impressive. Just think what he could do with a support team! He has my respect.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    So 7am tomorrow is the deadline for overall, right?
    Sure?
    That was the consensus here but there is not an officially announced time.

Jordo (posted the last insty update) from Joe's camp ended up reaching out so I have some more accurate numbers but those aren't public.
    He did mention he was waiting for a login verification for WB, so hopefully he chimes in on his own.

But 7am drop dead is close enough- if the 'photo finish' ends up tighter than that it will need to be looked at anyway.

I lead Stringbean's crew on the PCT a few summers ago and have been in contact with him periodically throughout this summer while he's been on the AT. After reading through these threads, I wanted to share a couple pieces of info:

Stringbean started this project on Monday 8/17 at 6:31AM EST, which would require him to finish on Friday 9/1 at 5:08AM in order to best the Speedgoat by a minute (45d22h37m).

As of 11:27AM EST today 8/31, he said he was at Rainbow mountain, which is to say that he will be finishing sometime today. He's a man possessed and has been running nonstop since he started at 5:41AM yesterday (2074.7). Once that uncontrollable feeling of wanting to finish off a damn race takes hold, it's near impossible to shake.

He asked me to hijack his insta for that latest post yesterday. For today, he asked that I didn't share anymore updates on the insta to help avoid a Jurek-like situation in Baxter. There is a small group of family meeting him at the top to give eyewitness to this monumental effort. He'll break the official news when he summits or shortly thereafter.

I sure hope y'all have enjoyed "watching" this unfold as much as I have!!

-Jordo

Wow. Whoa. Wow.

Jordo- hoping the String Bean's run was committed to video. Would love to follow along a la Run For Colin....

Quote Originally Posted by jordo View Post
    I lead Stringbean's crew on the PCT a few summers ago and have been in contact with him periodically throughout this summer while he's been on the AT. After reading through these threads, I wanted to share a couple pieces of info:

Stringbean started this project on Monday 8/17 at 6:31AM EST, which would require him to finish on Friday 9/1 at 5:08AM in order to best the Speedgoat by a minute (45d22h37m).

As of 11:27AM EST today 8/31, he said he was at Rainbow mountain, which is to say that he will be finishing sometime today. He's a man possessed and has been running nonstop since he started at 5:41AM yesterday (2074.7). Once that uncontrollable feeling of wanting to finish off a damn race takes hold, it's near impossible to shake.

He asked me to hijack his insta for that latest post yesterday. For today, he asked that I didn't share anymore updates on the insta to help avoid a Jurek-like situation in Baxter. There is a small group of family meeting him at the top to give eyewitness to this monumental effort. He'll break the official news when he summits or shortly thereafter.

-Jordo

Not to be a party pooper- just can't help myself.
    5:41 8/30 at 2074.7 to
    11:27 8/31 at 2165.3

So he's done 90.6 in about 30 hours and is still going?
    He's done by sunset at that pace with a 110+ mile continuous push

Possessed indeed.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

A note on time zones ... here in the east we are observing Daylight Saving Time not Standard Time. So the correct abbreviation is EDT not EST. Eastern Standard Time (EST) comes in November when we change our clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

Not to be a party pooper- just can't help myself.
    5:41 8/30 at 2074.7 to
    11:27 8/31 at 2165.3

So he's done 90.6 in about 30 hours and is still going?
    He's done by sunset at that pace with a 110+ mile continuous push

Possessed indeed.
    Sunset or shortly thereafter. Just 24.5 miles to go at 11:27 this morning and at least 20 of those miles are easy.

Congratulations to String Bean!

Unreal! Way to go!

Damn where is the final word?

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy TN View Post
    Damn where is the final word?
    It's not quite yet, lol. Few premature celebrations but could be any time or even done as I type this- but nothing posted from Stringbean yet.

Some folks have service in Baxter- but it could easily take until tomorrow to get out and get a signal even if he finished already.

If it holds, which I believe it will, it's an astonishing feat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed @rmcpeak

Quote Originally Posted by jordo View Post
    There is a small group of family meeting him at the top to give eyewitness to this monumental effort. He'll break the official news when he summits or shortly thereafter.

-Jordo
    I hope we're not going to see another champagne gate. Joe had to have been aware what happen with Scott J.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++