Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Recently TWO hikers drown.
    I hadn't heard.

Images

This is the second one that occurred in N Yosemite.
    IMG_1227.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

Sad
    Why are these people crossing dangerous crossings alone apparently , that they can go missing?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Sad
    Why are these people crossing dangerous crossings alone apparently , that they can go missing?
    Too many people are willing to take risks where there is a chance of death if they make a mistake. I don't have to go far in the spring to find someone crossing raging rocky whitewater on a questionable log.
    Pretty cool the 499 out of 500 times it works. The other 1/500 times you make the news

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    Too many people are willing to take risks where there is a chance of death if they make a mistake. I don't have to go far in the spring to find someone crossing raging rocky whitewater on a questionable log.
    Pretty cool the 499 out of 500 times it works. The other 1/500 times you make the news
    Yes, it's a risk, but I gotta wonder if it's more about ignorance or inexperience.

Journal Entries

Falling off log bridge would be one thing..

But fording dangerously swollen streams shoukd be done in morning, and so youd think a few hikers should be stacked up waiting

"It worked for the people in the video I watched on my phone."
    2-3 months ago here at WhiteBlaze I expressed my opinion that stream crossings would be more dangerous than the deep snow.
    Apparently I was right.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Another reason why I am planning to backpack in Wyoming in September.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Why is this in the PCT forum specifically? It's good advice on any trail, says a guy who's personally wiped out at a ford. (Fetched up on a rock in seconds, didn't even have time to ditch my pack and get my feet downstream. Lucky.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

The polished granite from eons of raging snowmelt is covered with slick algae too. Slick as goose $__t. If you go into a strong flow, its really hard to get a hold on anything to stop. Which is why 50 people have gone over falls in yosemite.

Yes people are responsible from themselves, but it just was so alarming how nobody seemed to open their straps and hip belt on the videos that I was watching in you tube so just felt the need to say something. And this forum is not only place where I have talked about this. And it was heart breaking to hear from those ladies in same week who drowned. They both though had also disadvantage of size when crossing rivers and it takes just one miscalculation to go from safe to deadly when you are in middle of river when there is current. And that is also why this forum. This wasn't generally but for those who are hiking PCT on this year since those are who I follow in hopes to make the journey by myself on one day. The rivers were deadly on this year. I saw one local say that there has been also 8 kayakers lost on this year. From I have read it should start to get back more normal on these days with the water levels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++