WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Strep A

Default Strep A

http://www.wmur.com/article/florida-...shire/10345738

This is one reason I don't pop blisters, and deal with them before they get huge.

But where did he come in contact with the Strep A?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    But where did he come in contact with the Strep A?
    It's an very common bacteria that all of us have likely come in contact with before. The problem is that it got into and to infected an untreated wound.

(That's my layman's understanding anyway)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Probably from picking his nose.

Journal Entries

strep A is common and probably in most peoples noses.
    its very rare when it gets between skin and tissue and becomes necrotizing, takes right conditions.

Not really worth worrying about.

It has happened to people from a single bump or bruise, a microscopic break in the skin. Very rare to occur.

Post 5 is absolutely correct. The real question you might ask is 'why didn't his immune system fight this off?'

another vote for eating well and avoiding stressors such as hypothermia, heat exhaustion, severe over exertion, major calorie deficits, dehydration, repeated minor illness, poor hygiene, untreated minor wounds and extreme emotion distress, all of which deplete the immune system.

Not trying to blame the victim here, sometimes ***** happens, but take care of your body and it will run much smoother. I never hesitate to spend more money and carry more weight to have good food. I keep a bail out plan in mind for extra rest if things aren't going well because my body warns me if it is starting to be overwhelmed.

I have been looking into and beginning to practice caveman type diets for health reasons. Common good sense and I've been feeling better. HYOH, be well and hike again.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Community-acquired bacteria are usually quite sensitive to bacitracin/polymyxin B/neomycin ointment. I carry a tiny tube of that in my kit, and treat any abrasions or blisters on my feet.

Feet are the most likely things to get infected, they wind up in dirty water quite often. If I'm on a very wet trail, I also try to waterproof my feet. I've been using Gurney Goo since Hydropel went out of business. Both seem to work better on my feet than Body Glide. Your feet may be different.

Managed to avoid necrotizing fasciitis so far, thank Whoever, but it's pretty rare to begin with (only 700-1000 cases in the US annually). Cellulitis is a good bit commoner, and annoying enough, and fortunately I've managed to avoid that as well.

I think that the fact that I wash my feet fairly regularly might help. In really wet conditions, feet and socks get washed at almost every stop. Clean wet socks are a lot healthier than muddy ones.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

down on the gulf coast, vibrio vulnificus is well known to also cause necrotizing fasciaitis.
    Shrimpers in particular keep gallons of bleach on boat and immediately pour on any cut

++ New Posts ++