Default PCT Noob......Lake Tahoe to Burney......3 questions.....

Finished up the AT last year so am now starting to section the PCT at the beginning of August. First section is from mile 1130 (Tahoe Trail intersection) to mile 1407 (Burney) Have 3 questions:

1) Is a 40 degree quilt or a 20 degree bag a better choice? (Never slept above 6500 feet)

2) How much exposer to sun? (Do I need extra sunscreen/sun hat or go with what I usually had on the AT?)

3) I have asthma. Is there a noticeable breathing variable at altitude of 6-9K feet?

Thanks!

PAFARMBOY

1. 20 degree bag.
    2. Sunscreen and sun hat. Never ask. Just do it.
    3. Clueless about asthma. I'm older than dirt and 12,100'+ doesn't bother me.
    A friend and I have looked at that section. What are your transportation plans from the north end back to civilization?
    Have a great hike.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Actually, once you get north of Truckee, you are starting to leave the Sierra Nevada. The elevations are much lower through northern California and often the hottest a thru-hiker will experience outside of SoCal. While I think a thru-hiker should have a 20F quilt for the entire trail, if I was just hiking the section between Sierra City and Saied Valley (by Oregon border), I think a 40F quilt is fine for August. Since you are starting in Tahoe, if the weather isn't good, you may find the first few days cold at night though. Section O which is the next section north of Burney and is a bit lower elevation than you'll encounter, I slept on top of my quilt in my clothing all but 1 night due to a heat wave. Also did so 1 night near Belden further south which you will hike through. Some hikers as a result try to mail their sleeping bags to Oregon only to get burned by the weather changing a few days llater and end up buying blankets somewhere; but they do make it through though a bit miserable in the process. So you don't want to go to light on your sleeping bag; 40F is as light as I would go. Be aware, you might have a cold night here or there, but if you have an extra layer of clothing or at least some rain pants, you should be fine.

The forests along the PCT are not as dense as the forests back east. Trees are primarily evergreens and sit farther apart and thus let more light through. The PCT also stays along ridgelines and you get a lot more direct sun exposure then you do hiking along the Long Green Tunnel. If you burn at all, at least bring sunscreen. I found a sun hat useful, but many do survive with just a baseball cap.

If you aren't use to higher elevation, you will likely find yourself breathing harder above 6000 ft with a bit less energy, at least for the first few days as you acclimate to the elevation. I can't comment on the affect of elevation on asthma. Going the direction you are, your average elevation will drop some as you move north; section O just north of Burney is the lowest section of Nor. California. You might find it easier starting there going SOBO.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    What are your transportation plans from the north end back to civilization?
    Thanks for the feedback. Burney Mountain Guest Ranch makes a daily run to the Post Office in Burney. From there I'm catching the bus to Redding. From Redding I have a one-way car rental to get back to the Reno airport.

If you know how to tweak the sleep system warmth rating to possibly 35* using the quilt as the major component I'd say go with it.

Bring sunglasses and something to cover your skin from burning.

Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy1 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Burney Mountain Guest Ranch makes a daily run to the Post Office in Burney. From there I'm catching the bus to Redding. From Redding I have a one-way car rental to get back to the Reno airport.
    Thanks. Filed away for future reference.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++