Default Dogs allowed on FT for Ocala NF section?

Looking ahead to this winters hikes had planned to hit a few FT sections as it's so close to home.....planned to do the 70+\~ ONF section with my pup. Thought I read recently dogs not permitted....any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I did find this at this site: http://floridahikes.com/floridatrail/ocala/

This is an excellent section of the Florida Trail for hiking and backpacking with dogs. Dogs are not allowed in the recreation areas at the springs, but they are permitted to be in the campgrounds at those recreation areas.
    But keep in mind long stretches are in the sun with no shade and there are long stretches of white, sandy trail which could get real hot too. I spent a weekend in the Ocala NF some years ago and it was like a long hike along the beach without the benefit of having the ocean next to you. The water out of the pumps at the campgrounds tasted terrible. I did not enjoy that trip at all. Oh yea, there are lot of bears there now too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

That's a tough one, but I don't think I would take my dog. 1. She does not have total recall. I've seen bears on every trip in Ocala. I've been charged a few times. That requires either being on a leash or a dog that will respond with total recall. 2. Some sections are wide open and hot. This is would not be a problem in the winter, but my dog hates anything above 80 degrees. She is not a good Florida dog. 3. Some sections have limited water and I don't trust ponds. Now, if you dog is okay with the heat and is on a leash, then go for it. Enjoy the trip.

Nevermind I see they're allowed just not in certain areas...I'm talking about a winter trip....I hate hiking on heat! It's only few hours away so I'd pick when it's cold.....

Hiked a small part of this in winter with my catahulla cur. She did well and we enjoyed it. I have found the swamp cooler by roughwear to be helpful in hot or sunny weather. She is a dark coated dog.

It's a fun section but depending upon the weather it can be warm/hot. It's also a dryer section so water can be challenging.

Unless parks/campsites have rules against pets I do t see why you couldn't bring him/her along.

We only hiked about 600 mikes of the trail but ONF is a beautiful Section.

TF

++ New Posts ++