WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where to camp in North GA

First, posted this in another forum but after reading more carefully, feel this is the correct place. My apologies.

Hello everyone! New to these boards. Hopefully this is somewhat the right place to post this...

I have not backpacked in about 15 years or so but used to be into it pretty heavily. Fast forward 15 years later and I've gained interest in it again and got my 12 year old son excited as well. We are looking to do a short overnight trip next week. Middle of the week sometime, no set date but I imagine the trail wont be to busy. We not necessarily looking for any specific trail or hike to do just something short and moderate. This will be his first time out, and I would like to limit both days to about 3 miles. I was thinking of just parking at one of the gaps up in North GA and hiking to a spot. Problem with this idea is I am getting overwhelmed researching them all. All of that said here is my main question / needs:

Any spots I can:
    1. Park (Toyota Camry) overnight, preferably along a well (relative in North GA) traveled road. I.e. blacktop
    2. Hike out about three miles to a site.
    3. Return to same vehicle the next day
    4. have a water source close by

Thanks for any and all replies.

Woody Gap, Unicoi Gap and Dicks Creek come to mind, head north or south on the AT, but you've many options beyond this.

Lots of options. Park at Springer and hike to Stover Creek Shelter. 2.8mi and easy terrain. Get up early Day 2 hike another couple miles to Longcreek Falls then turn around and hike 4mi back out. A little long but the falls are nice and the terrain is mild along that section.

There's always park at Byron Reese trailhead and hike up Blood Mountain. Short but steep. Camp on the mountain. There's a privy up near the shelter. Catch the sunset/rise from the top.

Do you think Unicoi Gap to Blue Mtn. Shelter would fit the bill as well? Looking on Google maps, the Springer Mtn. Parking lot looks like the road could be rough? Hard to tell on a dirt road

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaNative View Post
    Do you think Unicoi Gap to Blue Mtn. Shelter would fit the bill as well? Looking on Google maps, the Springer Mtn. Parking lot looks like the road could be rough? Hard to tell on a dirt road
    Yes, unicoi to blue mtn will work and fs42 from doublegap is fine. 3 miles will take about 2-3 hours to hike so plan on entertaining yourselves at your camp spot.

Unicoi Gap UP to Blue Mountain shelter is a hell of a reintroduction to hiking! It's straight up. ��

Another suggestion, park at Hogpen Gap on Russell Highway 348. This is at the 38.6 mile mark on the AT.

Hike south on the AT up Wildcat Mountain (1/2 mile to the top) and then down to the Whitley Gap shelter which is another 1.2 miles. There is a sign on top of the mountain pointing to the side trail to the shelter.

The initial hike up Wildcat is steep, but short, then it is all downhill to the shelter (of course you will have to reverse it back out the next day).

If you want to extend the hike, you could drop off your pack at the shelter and take a small trail that leads out of the back of the shelter area. This trail will take you to the top of Adam's Bald which is 1 mile from the shelter.

I found a pretty cool feature that someone built on top of Adam's Bald. I am not going to tell you what it is. You will have to find out for yourself.

Parking at Springer lot gives you all kinds of options/loops with AT and Benton Mackaye, go up to top of Springer and then back down it's very easy all the way to three forks like Uncle Joe mentioned, you can go up to the falls and then go back on a different trail to your car. Keep in mind the best road to springer parking lot is FS42 from doublegap by the church. Another option is cooper gap to gooch gap (5 miles) or woody gap (off highway) to gooch gap.

If you are wanting to stick to paved roads, I would recommend doing Blood Mountain from the Byron Reese parking lot off US 129 (Neel Gap). Not too bad of a hike, you can camp on top of Blood and there (should be) water a little south of the summit. Whitley Gap shelter is also a good trip. I think I would do Blood over Blue Mountain though.

If you get off on the dirt roads, Springer parking lot is accessible with your Camry. I followed a Mustang GT all the way down to the paved road Sunday and he never had problems (other than having to take it slow). All the ideas above about the area are great hikes, especially for a beginner. Long Creek falls is great. Everything between Hawk Mountain and Springer is easy walking.

How about Neal's Gap up and over Blood Mountain to Slaughter Creek? That's a pretty cool climb and view an it's about 3 miles.

My favorite way to do Blood is Byron Reese, straight across the AT to the Freeman Trail. Back to the AT on the South side of Blood and take it over Blood from that side. Smoother climb.

I appreciate all the replies. Looking over all the options now. So many to choose from it seems

If you want to be on the AT, the suggestions above are some of the best choices. However, if not locked into the AT, I highly recommend the 2.5 mile trail in to Raven Cliff Falls. Excellent introductory trail, with a fascinating falls and camping sites (tent or hammock) at the falls. Enough climbing and trails to use up any excess energy your young may have once you get there.

I was thinking that. I went there years and years ago though never camped. How crowded do you think it would be during the week? Dont the trails basically pass through the campsites?

Raven cliffs is a great hike. For another option (not on the AT), consider Panther Creek trail. Parking area on old 441 north of Hollywood, Ga and walk about 3 & 1/2 miles downstream to several camping areas. Panther creek falls is another 1/2 mile. There are campsites at the falls, but I don't like camping there (noise and moisture in the air)--personal preference! You can fish and swim at the falls. Travel and parking are easy.

Holy crap, you read my mind about what I was going to suggest! There is an amazing campsite about 1/2 mile South of Blue Mtn Shelter. Proceed past Blue Mtn shelter around 1/2 mile down into the valley/drainage and on your left you'll see like 3 primitive campsites. Stop there, and look RIGHT down the hill some, and there is a single campsite all by itself. Back in April, I stayed at the one on the left and when I was leaving the next morning noticed the one by itself and it literally looked like some grassy meadow oasis in a sea of brown. Kicked myself for missing it. There is water a few hundred yards further south of these sites. If you want solitude, definitely check it out.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Springer to Neels Gap/Reese would be great. Or jump into NC to Standing Indian.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I was thinking that. I went there years and years ago though never camped. How crowded do you think it would be during the week? Dont the trails basically pass through the campsites?
    Crowds depend on the time of year. I would expect a half-dozen this time of year most weekdays. Most of the campsites are pretty close to the trail. It's a popular hammock spot, which increases your options for sites.

@Atlantanative, what did you end up doing?

Late to the party! For anyone still following, I'm going to suggest Three Forks. You can camp right alongside the Noontootla, have a nice hike to Springer, hike up to Long Creek falls, and even though it is a dirt road, it is generally smooth and well traveled. Just come in from the Ellijay side.

++ New Posts ++