WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'll be interested in how many gallons it filters before disposal.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sawyer may be leading the way in filters but personally find that the squeeze bag approach is a pain to use in the field. I wish they would work on a light weight pump to integrate into their system. I am still using an MSR Water Works a much heavier system due to the ceramic filter but I love the function and speed of the pump.

Paddlefish makes a good point about how long the filter will last before clogging up but if the weight adds up I would be willing to carry a back up filter.

Journal Entries

The foam appears to be part of the bag, not the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    The bottle looks like a regular SmartWater bottle (700 ml), with some of that space taken up by the foam. If it's a pint, then "1600 uses" would filter 200 gallons.

I like the fact that is also removes chemicals

I wonder if it is similar to this filter. I don't recall seeing this one discussed before.
    http://www.aquamira.com/product/fron...cement-filter/

And I like that it is easy to use.

This filter will be suitable not only for newbie hikers but pro ones too.

I'm guessing that Sawyer is probably deactivating, not filtering viruses with these foam "filters". The foam is surely a chemical matrix that works like a portable water treatment system chemically binding heavy metals and organic compounds into the chemically treated foam matrix before pushing the now treated water through the filter at the mouth to remove particulates like bacteria and protozoa. Since viruses are to small to easily filter, and they are pretty easy to chemically inactivate, and the chemically treated foam matrix is already there, it would make sense to have some kind of chemical added to the foam to inactivate the viruses as well.

These might be pretty cool if somewhat slow, and, absolutely awesome for front-country emergency water treatment in 3rd world countries and/or disaster areas. I expect they may also be a bit pricey with the chemically treated foam, but then, there is nothing else quite like them in such portable form that I am aware of. It will be great to see how they work out.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

They mention that these will be coming out "soon". Anybody with any info? I don't do facebook.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    They mention that these will be coming out "soon". Anybody with any info? I don't do facebook.
    I don't see any mention of the foam filters on their Facebook Posts since they announced back in March they would be available in May.

Don't hold your breath waiting for them to be available "soon". The Sawyer Website's most recent comment was that they would be "Launching this summer"... Well they've got 15 days to meet that deadline.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-06-2017 at 14:26.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    The instructions imply the "Max Fill Line" is located at the bottom of the neck of the bottle.
    Based on measuring the bottle from the screen shots, I come up with a bottle volume of about 1 liter (not sure how much of that the foam takes up).

The dimensions of the bottle appear to be:
    Bottle Cap Diameter: 30 pixels
    Bottle Diameter: 87 pixels
    Bottle Height: 287 pixels (excludes the height of the neck)

Found some online specifications that indicate the bottle cap should be about 25mm in diameter. So using 25mm/30pixels:
    Bottle Diameter: 72mm
    Bottle Height: 240mm
    Volume: 977,000 cubic mm ~= 977 cc ~= 1 liter

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    The bottle looks like a regular SmartWater bottle (700 ml), with some of that space taken up by the foam. If it's a pint, then "1600 uses" would filter 200 gallons.
    Here's screen shots of the S1 Foam Filter with a 700 ml SmartWater bottle scaled to match diameters.

BTW: It looks like you pretty much nailed the fact the diameter of the S1 Foam Filter Bottle is the same as the SmartWater bottles. After I scaled a picture of a SmartWater bottle to match the width of the S1 Foam Filter Bottle, the width of bottle caps (i.e. where a bottle cap screws on) was a perfect match (measuring the widths in pixels).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-06-2017 at 17:06.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Is it assumed these would have the same freezing Achilles heel as the other squeeze filters?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    Is it assumed these would have the same freezing Achilles heel as the other squeeze filters?
    My gut feeling is that the bottle, with it's foam filter inside, won't be harmed by freezing.
    But everything points to the fact that the thing screwed on top of the bottle is simply a modified Sawyer Squeeze filter that you must protect from freezing.
    The description explicitly indicates that they are combining a foam membrane with "Sawyer's signature 0.1 micron absolute Hollow Fiber Membrane filter".
    I'm guessing the only real difference between a Sawyer Squeeze and the new filter screwed on top of the bottle is that this new filter will have an exterior that will not be as robust as the Squeeze. After all, the Mini is quoted as being able to filter up to 100,000 gallons and the Squeeze comes with a Life Time Warranty (i.e. no limit to the number of gallons it can filter). But these new filters don't even have to last for 500 gallons before the foam filter has exceeded its # of Uses.

Quote Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
    Sawyer ... I wish they would work on a light weight pump to integrate into their system.
    I adapted a Coghlan's Camping Water Filter to a sawyer filter. By adapted I mean I slipped off the Coghlan's filter and slipped on the Sawyer. I've got a photo of it somewhere I can dig up if its important to you. Although it feels kind of flimsy (it is light) I've used it in the field and it works fine.

BeFree filter.
    2 liter Hydrapak.
    2 liters. 2 minutes.
    Done.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    BeFree filter.
    2 liter Hydrapak.
    2 liters. 2 minutes.
    Done.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't under why BeFree is being mentioned in a thread talking about Sawyer developing a filter that deals with chemicals, viruses, and heavy metals. Because if I understand the BeFree website, it's just the same 0.1 micro technology used in the Sawyer Squeeze and Sawyer Mini. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Am I missing something?
    You're missing that this is WhiteBlaze, this is how all threads devolve into something else. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++