WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Mechanical hemolytic anemia

Mechanical hemolytic anemia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechan...molytic_anemia
    Blood in the urine after hiking hard for long periods. Is this something to worry about over the short or long term, how to prevent this, any good articles on it specifically related to hiking?

Quote Originally Posted by joefryfry View Post
    Mechanical hemolytic anemia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechan...molytic_anemia
    Blood in the urine after hiking hard for long periods. Is this something to worry about over the short or long term, how to prevent this, any good articles on it specifically related to hiking?
    Also, BOTH of my elbows are bruised after 6 days of trekking pole use. I use them on the downhills a good bit, anyone else get this condition?

Time to be talking to a doctor compared to a bunch of folks you dont know on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Time to be talking to a doctor compared to a bunch of folks you dont know on the internet.
    I intend to. I was looking for hiker's experiences, if this is common.

First I've ever heard of it. Bruised elbows from poles? Never heard of that either. It seems you have issues.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

No, go see a doctor
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I have been hiking for darn close to 40 years and never heard of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I have been hiking for darn close to 40 years and never heard of this one.
    I see my doctor regularly, I will certainly bring this up to him. I've been hiking a long time, but this recent trip was my first long distance one with many miles. Without a doubt, I overdid it and will tone it down in the future. Along with the bruised elbows and urine issues, I also fainted at a state park office while checking in (really overdid it, didnt eat enough), and I beat the heck out of my feet. I like to get up early, I don't like to sit around, I walk fast, and I'm not into camp life, which all means a bunch of miles. I'm not in a hurry or a race, that's just how I walk. I guess I have to figure out how to slow it down. Other than the foot blisters, I never had any of the other issues before this trip. The Mechanical hemolytic anemia came and went daily and was gone the first day when not hiking.

I see my doctor regularly, I will certainly bring this up to him. I've been hiking a long time, but this recent trip was my first long distance one with many miles. Without a doubt, I overdid it and will tone it down in the future. Along with the bruised elbows and urine issues, I also fainted at a state park office while checking in (really overdid it, didnt eat enough), and I beat the heck out of my feet. I like to get up early, I don't like to sit around, I walk fast, and I'm not into camp life, which all means a bunch of miles. I'm not in a hurry or a race, that's just how I walk. I guess I have to figure out how to slow it down. Other than the foot blisters, I never had any of the other issues before this trip. The Mechanical hemolytic anemia came and went daily and was gone the first day when not hiking.
    Your self-diagnosis of mechanical hemolytic anemia is likely erroneous. That condition is quite rare and is more related to the beating your feet take in a FORCED MARCH, which is essentially a 20 mile jog in boots with a 50 pound pack, than to the "beating" your feet take on a stroll on the AT. To give you an idea how rare it is, nobody on this forum has likely had it. You will see MHA sometimes in a beat-down where the vic took more than 30 big blows. Or in a motocross racer or off-road vehicle racer from the repeated jarrings. However, there you have to look for actual physical damage to the kidney for the blood in urine as well. You also likely didn't have athletic-induced nephritis, unless you dehydrated severely because it is highly unlikely you kept your pulse high enough for long enough to do the damage.

What you have is a serious blood issue. Your bruising at the elbows from what would not bruise a normal person is your first sign of something no bueno. Fainting is a HUGE sign of no bueno, and one that should have taken you to the ER. Combine these two with hematuria and you need to get yourself to your doc tomorrow. If you can see blood in your urine, go to the ER. Go to your doc in the morning, regardless.

Unexplained blood in urine, unexplained fainting, unexplained bruising are all signs or something very no bueno going on with your body. Get it checked out. Do no exercise, do not consume alcohol or drugs and do not take OTC meds until you do. No supplements either. I hate to tell you this, but you are unwell, physically.

Yep, you're gonna die.

Wanna second opinion? Ya smell kinda funny.

Want more valuable feedback? Don't look for it here

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Your self-diagnosis of mechanical hemolytic anemia is likely erroneous. That condition is quite rare and is more related to the beating your feet take in a FORCED MARCH, which is essentially a 20 mile jog in boots with a 50 pound pack, than to the "beating" your feet take on a stroll on the AT. To give you an idea how rare it is, nobody on this forum has likely had it. You will see MHA sometimes in a beat-down where the vic took more than 30 big blows. Or in a motocross racer or off-road vehicle racer from the repeated jarrings. However, there you have to look for actual physical damage to the kidney for the blood in urine as well. You also likely didn't have athletic-induced nephritis, unless you dehydrated severely because it is highly unlikely you kept your pulse high enough for long enough to do the damage.

What you have is a serious blood issue. Your bruising at the elbows from what would not bruise a normal person is your first sign of something no bueno. Fainting is a HUGE sign of no bueno, and one that should have taken you to the ER. Combine these two with hematuria and you need to get yourself to your doc tomorrow. If you can see blood in your urine, go to the ER. Go to your doc in the morning, regardless.

Unexplained blood in urine, unexplained fainting, unexplained bruising are all signs or something very no bueno going on with your body. Get it checked out. Do no exercise, do not consume alcohol or drugs and do not take OTC meds until you do. No supplements either. I hate to tell you this, but you are unwell, physically.

After a couple doctor appointments and two rounds of blood tests, I have a clean bill of health. All issues explained away. It seems the sports hematuria is not all that rare since two different doctors agree that that is most likely the dark urine explanation. They said drink more water also. And I didn't take a stroll on the AT. I walked 124 miles in 6 days with a 40 pound pack.

After a couple doctor appointments and two rounds of blood tests, I have a clean bill of health. All issues explained away. It seems the sports hematuria is not all that rare since two different doctors agree that that is most likely the dark urine explanation. They said drink more water also. And I didn't take a stroll on the AT. I walked 124 miles in 6 days with a 40 pound pack.
    And my original posting of this was to see if anyone else had experienced this, so maybe this is info someone can find useful.

++ New Posts ++