Default Missing Hiker- North of Glen Pass

"PCT hiker Rika Morita ("Strawberry") is missing somewhere north of Glen Pass. She was last seen July 8. My wife and I met Rika in Kennedy Meadows just a few days earlier, so this hits pretty close to home.

If you're on the JMT/PCT, please keep an eye out. She was expected to meet some people near the creek that comes out of Sixty Lakes Basin where it crosses the JMT/PCT. She didn't show.

Particularly if you're in the area of the Rae Lakes/S. Fork of Woods Creek, it would be good to see if you notice any clues like discarded gear, etc."

Saw this on Reddit and thought it couldn't hurt to spread the word here. See link for more info.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PacificCres..._of_glen_pass/

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

This has also been posted in the JMT Facebook Group.

Update: The hiker recently found was a Mrs. Solomon, Strawberry is still listed as missing...

Info from a recent Facebook post trying to provide additional information:
    tems she is carrying~
    Tent: chartreuse colored Finetrack Zelt2long
    Sticks: Black color Locus Gear CP3
    Backpack: light grey color HMG Wind rises 2400
    BV500 bear canister. Helicopters were flying over Glen Pass yesterday so SAR is in full force.

Did find the Facebook post about a hiker being found... but that was for a Mrs. Solomon, not Sta
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 07-24-2017 at 23:11.

Update: looked at reddit this morning...According to the FB group PCT Trail Angels, Rika was found dead. It was announced on her FB page by her father this morning. This is very sad to hear.

Rest in peace

Sounds like she died trying to cross a river in Yosemite.

My really rough translation from her father's Facebook post: "Everyone, despite various attempts at assistance, I'm sorry to say that Rika's remains were discovered in a mountain stream inside Yosemite National Park. Though she had dreams of the challenge, I think she regretted it (?). We give our gratitude to the many people who gave their assistance and collaborated in the search efforts. (Cheerfully?) we are waiting for her return to Japan, and I would like to express my sincere gratitude to many people for their support."

皆さんに、色々心配を頂きましたが、残念ながら、ヨセミテ 公園内の渓流にて、遺体で発見されました。夢を持ってチャレンジしてましたが、無念だったと思 います。 多くの皆さんに、世話になりましたこと、さらに、多くの皆 さんの、連携、手配して頂きましたこと感謝申し上げます。 元気に帰国する日を待っていた者としても、多くの方々の支 援に暑く感謝申し上げます。

Thank you for the update. So very sad. I hope the family feels some peace knowing she died while pursuing one of her dreams. I'm sorry I never had the opportunity to meet Rika .

Journal Entries

Sad.

Yosemite is quite a bit north of Glen Pass.

So, if correct, the lack of communication wasnt indicative of a problem until quite recently.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Sad.

Yosemite is quite a bit north of Glen Pass.

So, if correct, the lack of communication wasnt indicative of a problem until quite recently.
    The news is reporting that it was Kings Canyon: http://ktla.com/2017/07/25/dead-body...national-park/

Images

This is terrible news indeed. I had the pleasure of hiking off and on with her this season during my stretch from Campo to KM. Always happy and in a good mood, never complained once. Very upsetting to hear this. Stay safe out there hikers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

A recent safety video worth watching

GA-ME 2011
    Images
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Rest In Peace

any indications this was not an accident? hopefully the investigators have enough experience to determine if it was an accidental death or a homicide perpetrated by someone deranged. the obvious assumption would be accident - woman hiking alone, dangerous water crossing, etc. Let's hope they do a full on investigation without assuming anything.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    any indications this was not an accident? hopefully the investigators have enough experience to determine if it was an accidental death or a homicide perpetrated by someone deranged. the obvious assumption would be accident - woman hiking alone, dangerous water crossing, etc. Let's hope they do a full on investigation without assuming anything.
    Please let her rest in peace. Why speculate over something that is without any basis? Any idea how many have drowned in Yosemite alone this year?

It isn't that uncommon to have people drown fording creeks during the spring run off in the High Sierra (especially in a year like this). No need to speculate on other causes without a reason.
    A friend who hiked the PCT with me once had a discussion about this: Many of the cases of a hiker getting swept away that we were familiar with involved small women as they were too light to keep their feet on the bottom against the strong current. One case in particular involved a spectacular rescue by other hikers that were with her as one was able to get ahead of her onto a log to grab her. I will never offer to take a girl's pack across for them as some need all the ballast they can get.

IMHO simply to know to truth of what happened is reason enough to inquire about the cause of death. It does not cause harm to know the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    It isn't that uncommon to have people drown fording creeks during the spring run off in the High Sierra (especially in a year like this). No need to speculate on other causes without a reason.
    A friend who hiked the PCT with me once had a discussion about this: Many of the cases of a hiker getting swept away that we were familiar with involved small women as they were too light to keep their feet on the bottom against the strong current. One case in particular involved a spectacular rescue by other hikers that were with her as one was able to get ahead of her onto a log to grab her. I will never offer to take a girl's pack across for them as some need all the ballast they can get.
    I don't consent to censoring of any of my communications without a verified claim by a man or woman. All my communications are my exclusive property.

Scott Larson
    All rights reserved.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trinsic View Post
    IMHO simply to know to truth of what happened is reason enough to inquire about the cause of death. It does not cause harm to know the truth.
    In name of public safety, authorities and med. examiner would let public know if cause of death was suspicious

++ New Posts ++