WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Man, if only overmountain shelter had a bar and grill! yeeha

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    Is that the oak tree in Simms Meadow just north of Pearisburg, khaynie?
    Is that right after (N) Rt42? I camped there in a snowstorm once. If that's where you are referring to, it did look like that.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Default Further Questions

Given that any official campsite in a popular area will get frequent use, and that this use will change the character of the campsite, especially if fires are allowed, how important is it to you to be able to build a fire? ie. Would you prefer a campsite with a denuded forest floor for 200 feet around where you could build a fire, or a setting that looks more like a natural forest and where fires are not permitted? How do you rate your enjoyment of a site vs. minimizing human impact?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DebW
    Given that any official campsite in a popular area will get frequent use, and that this use will change the character of the campsite, especially if fires are allowed, how important is it to you to be able to build a fire? ie. Would you prefer a campsite with a denuded forest floor for 200 feet around where you could build a fire, or a setting that looks more like a natural forest and where fires are not permitted? How do you rate your enjoyment of a site vs. minimizing human impact?
    i prefer stealth camping,no fire,leave no trace in my hammock
    i usually stop at a stream fill my water bottle and cook and eat,and clean up,then i hike another mile or to and stealth camp neo

Images

Cosmo,

If geography allows, I think the best campsite design is to have a number of small camping areas dispersed over an area several hundred yards around central features such as a privy. It's nice if these sites can be placed along a spur or loop off the AT. As long as trail guides note the closest water from the south and north, there's not an absolute need to have water right in or around the sites. Iceberging and bordering around the individual camp areas to prevent expansion is preferable to me over platforms. If there is to be both a shelter and camping at the site, then placing the shelter on a hillside to prevent clustering of denuded camping areas around the the shelter would be nice. I like tables at shelters to get the cooking out of the sleeping area.

Even if I have to haul water, my favorite sites have views, preferably out of the wind.

Hope all is well. Thanks for your work with the AMC in Mass.

Take Care,

Tim

Images

Default Simms Meadow

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    Is that the oak tree in Simms Meadow just north of Pearisburg, khaynie?
    You are correct sir. We lugged up the water, so I guess it didn't quite meet all of my qualifications as I previously stated. However, the water wasn't too far way if I remember correctly. Either way, it was a beautiful spot!

Quote Originally Posted by DebW
    Well, Deb, no fires along the AT in Connecticut, and I think that the AT in Connecticut is the best maintained section of the AT.

But, campfires do have their place. So, I'm not necessarily anti-campfire. Maybe a campsite where tenting is away from the designated fire ring?

It is indeed a well-maintained section, Peaks, but then again it's only about fifty miles altogether! The folks in Maine, for example, have almost 300 miles to look after, with markedly tougher terrain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++