WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Anti- lentils? LOL

We might recognize lentils similarly as oats/oatmeal or brown rice being the carrier of greater whole. It's what we add to these staples that make them taste so great. Look at Another Kevin's lentil inspired recipe for example. At around 30 % of total calories being protein lentils are a good protein, fiber, and complex carb source. They pack densely and are relatively inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Taste Adventure, I think is the brand, of Curry Lentil Soup I find in bulk bins. It's sold by the oz, lb, etc. No need to buy 10 lbs worth. Heat water. Throw it in the pot. Ready to eat in 3 mins. A little goes a long way. Heck 1 lb at about $6/lb nets me 4-5 dinners to which I add EVOO, instant brown rice, hemp seed, turmeric root, fresh ginger, dried mango, more curry, powdered full fat coconut milk, fresh green onion or colorful peppers, etc., Sprinkle with some dried parmesan cheese, pepitas or sunflower seeds.

It's an Organic product with an easily understood short ingredient list.

http://www.tasteadventure.com/produc...y-lentil-soup/

http://www.foodfacts.com/ci/nutritio...up-48-oz/79642

Perfect. Thank you. I very much appreciate the links.

Can uncooked lentils be freeze dried?
    If they can what would be the weight saving?
    Would it change the cooking time?

You can buy lentil flour that cooks quickly, and is basically a packet of lentils that has been pulverized and needs to be brought to the boil.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Anti- lentils? LOL

We might recognize lentils similarly as oats/oatmeal or brown rice being the carrier of greater whole. It's what we add to these staples that make them taste so great. Look at Another Kevin's lentil inspired recipe for example. At around 30 % of total calories being protein lentils are a good protein, fiber, and complex carb source. They pack densely and are relatively inexpensive.
    For once Dogwood and I agree on something!

Note that lentils + brown rice is a great combination - there's a reason that it's the base for so much Indian cooking. The lentils are high in lysine, deficient in methionine. The brown rice is high in methionine, deficient in lysine. Together they make a complete protein. By the way, it's not necessary to get complete protein at a meal - our livers can store more than enough of any amino acid for a day's use, so complete protein over the course of the day is what you really want. The idea that they have to be at the same meal seems to have arisen out of whole cloth in Diet for a Small Planet. See also http://veganhealth.org/articles/protein - which concedes that actual data are quite sparse.

When hiking with my vegetarian daughter, I'm perfectly happy to leave out the chicken and throw in whatever dehydrated veggies sound good that day. If you put a splash of water in a plastic bag with the dehydrated veggies a couple of hours before dinnertime (and then hike on), they won't require long cooking to reconstitute. (I'll do the same thing with dehydrated cabbage, carrot, onion, green pepper but then not cook it further - it makes a nice trail coleslaw to add some crunch to my dry-sausage-and-cheese-in-a-tortilla lunches.)

Tree nuts (dried coconut, or cashews, or almonds, ...) or pepitas or sunflower seeds are another nice addition, as are other dried fruits besides the mangoes. Once you have the base down, the variations are endless.

For a weekender or short-sectioner, being Out There is no reason not to eat well.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Good post AK. Valid info.

FWIW, don't let my nitpicking about what I disagree or have yet to personally adopt or simply have a different approach take the focus off the vast majority of your posts that I whole heartedly agree and recognize equally valid. We are on the same page.

Quite amazing! Lentils brought the two of you closer together. Dare we discuss red beans and have romance lingering in the air

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Quite amazing! Lentils brought the two of you closer together. Dare we discuss red beans and have romance lingering in the air
    Red beans and rice make the world a better place.
    Camellia red beans, andouille sausage and KONRICO Rice from New Iberia, LA make the world a perfect place.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++