WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hot Springs parking

Where is the parking at Hot Springs, NC? Is on the east side of the river? Heading there tomorrow for a 10+ day hike.

Images

theres a lot by the trail head going southbound out of town and one behind some businesses in town. i dont know if there is one by the trailhead going north out of town.

if being shuttled by the outfitters they will pretty much give you no choice but to park in town, much to my chagrin.

I'm being picked up by Nancy Hoch (or an associate). I'm just looking at Google Maps and not seeing any parking on the west side (south). I see "Serpentine Ave" and Laughing Heart Lodge but nothing that looks like general parking. I will trust you that it is there!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blazercoach View Post
    I'm being picked up by Nancy Hoch (or an associate). I'm just looking at Google Maps and not seeing any parking on the west side (south). I see "Serpentine Ave" and Laughing Heart Lodge but nothing that looks like general parking. I will trust you that it is there!
    see entry for serpentine st-

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...0&sectionID=80

i suspected it was there. asked the outfitter and kept just getting told to park in town. was somewhat less than pleased when i came, not surprisingly, upon it after leaving the woods.

sure it was "just .4 miles" but the same could be said about someone (whom you are paying) refusing to drive their car that far.

Images

I just did that section about a month ago and there is a parking lot off the dirt road at the intersection of Forest Service Road and Serpentine Ave.

If you look at the Google Maps Street View in the area of that intersection you can see where the trail crosses the road and the parking lot is partially visible through the trees.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8897...7i13312!8i6656
    Last edited by SteelCut; 07-28-2017 at 15:16.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Just talked to Laughing Heart Lodge and they were happy to oblige. Looks like I'll be staying with them when we emerge from our hike!

Steel Cut, good to know I have options! thank you!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Its been awhile since I just parked at FS office and it moved out of town, but just ask Bluff Mtn Outfitters.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Its been awhile since I just parked at FS office and it moved out of town, but just ask Bluff Mtn Outfitters.
    those would be "the outfitters" referred to in my posts.

Blazercoach, I have parked long-term two different times at that trailhead that's about 50 yards from Laughing Heart Hostel (13 days and 12 days, respectively) and found my vehicle as I left it both times, if that gives you any peace of mind.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Like Map Man, I have left my vehicle at the trailhead by Laughing Heart on multiple occasions, without any issues. Also nice to slip into that hostel and grab a shower if you have a long drive home.

++ New Posts ++