WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Breckenridge to Leadville Logistics

I am considering a hike from Breck to Leadville in 2018. I have a couple of questions:

Transportation:
    I found easy transportation from Denver Airport to Breck. There looks to be several options to get back. I am not sure if there is an option to get from Leadville to Denver Airport. I did see a possible option to get back to Breck where I could use the same bus to get back to Denver. Any advice here?

Sleep system:
    I have a tent, but I would rather use my hammock. Is a hammock a doable option from Breck to Leadville.

Trailheads:
    Breck is easy with the free bus to the trailhead. What is the easiest way to get from the trail to Leadville?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

The summit stage runs a bus from Leadville to breck (or vice versa).
    Theres also a taxi in Leadville you could use
    Or hitch

To get to the trail from Leadville, your gonna have to hitch or taxi. Its ~9-15 miles depending on trailhead, farther as you get closer to Twin Lakes.

You can find places to hammock, it limits you to down low in the trees though. It wouldnt be my choice, I like to be in scenic spots.

Lot of planning and trouble for short walk.

Journal Entries

If your gonna go thru the trouble to make special trip....do yourself a favor and do the Collegiate West from Twin Lakes to Monarch.
    Particularly starting at section 3 at cottonwood pass, it goes above treeline and spends much of time there until Monarch. If you got to take taxi...take it to Cottonwood pass.

I am planning to do segments 7, 8 & 9.

I believe there is a bus from Leadville to Denver via Frisco. There is a free bus which runs between Breck and Frisco. To get to the trail from Leadville, your probably have to hitch hike. There is a hostel in Leadville, so maybe they could arrange or do a shuttle.

Personally, I'd go with the tent. I suppose you can find places to hang but you'd have more camping options with a tent (or bivy sack).

Your going to be up at 11,000 feet most of the time. It would be a good idea to spend a few days in Leadville getting acclimated to the elevation before hitting the trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I think, but verify, that someone at WhiteBlaze used a one way car rental to the Denver Airport.
    I was just looking at the CT map. The trail crosses HWY 24 north of Leadville. Hitch to Leadville?
    Pondering the CDT/CT myself.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I'm curious.
    How many trail miles from Breck-Frisco road crossing to the Hwy 24 crossing? It doesn't seem worthwhile unless your schedule is very short.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I'm curious.
    How many trail miles from Breck-Frisco road crossing to the Hwy 24 crossing? It doesn't seem worthwhile unless your schedule is very short.
    Wayne

I am looking to do about 50 miles.

Transportation:
    "I found easy transportation from Denver Airport to Breck. There looks to be several options to get back. I am not sure if there is an option to get from Leadville to Denver Airport. I did see a possible option to get back to Breck where I could use the same bus to get back to Denver. Any advice here?"
    Summit Stage Bus lines has a limited scheduled route between Frisco Transfer Station and Leadville(Lake Co). From Frisco, and I think Silverthorne/Breck/Dillon/etc, you get a bus to Denver. These towns are in one area that are conveniently bus interconnected. Don't know, but don't think, there's a direct route via one bus without transfer between Lville and Dinver AP. This is the least expensive and not overly hassle ridden option. There may be direct Lville to the AP shuttles though. If that is your preference check out Chaffee Shuttles.

https://www.townoffrisco.com/transportation/
    http://www.summitcountyco.gov/360/Summer-Schedule
    Sleep system:
    "I have a tent, but I would rather use my hammock. Is a hammock a doable option from Breck to Leadville."

This was just asked and answered on another recent CT thread. Hammock is doable but it takes a bit of planning to be around trees. For example, between Janets Cabin/Searle Pass and Kokomo Pass is above tree line
    Trailheads:
    "Breck is easy with the free bus to the trailhead. What is the easiest way to get from the trail to Leadville?"
    Depends on which Lville TH you are referring to. Most use Tennessee Pass. You can also go into Lville from Turquoise Lake TH. Hitching from TP or calling the Lville Hostel for a ride is what most do. I've walked it though. That Summit Stage Frisco to Lake City bus leg goes by here over TP but I've never heard of it picking up or discharging passengers here. That might6 be something you contact Summit Stage about.

Thanks. After a little research, I am planning to stay at She Bivvi in Breck before and after my hike.

I will take CME Resort Shuttles to and from Denver Airport and Breck.

I will take Summit Stage Coach from Leadville to Breck via Frisco.

Now I just gotta figure out how to get to the Summit Stage Coach stop from the trail.

The Breck Goldhill TH is very near a bus stop.

TP is an easy hitch. Everyone going over TP is heading to either LVille or Copper Mt/Frisco. Good pull over parking area and OK sight distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The Breck Goldhill TH is very near a bus stop.

TP is an easy hitch. Everyone going over TP is heading to either LVille or Copper Mt/Frisco. Good pull over parking area and OK sight distance.
    Thanks. I will check into the Breck Goodhill TH also, bit hitching from TP to Leadville then taking Summit Stage Coach via Frisco sounds like a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksatterwhite View Post
    I am looking to do about 50 miles.

That's a lot of hassle for 50 miles.
    On the other hand, 50 miles on any trail in Colorado beats 50 miles anywhere in Texas.
    I forgot the word Leadville in my original post.
    One way car rental from LEADVILLE to the Denver Airport. If the timing is better and saves you a night in the Leadville, Breck, Frisco area the rental car might be economically viable.
    Have fun.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    That's a lot of hassle for 50 miles.
    On the other hand, 50 miles on any trail in Colorado beats 50 miles anywhere in Texas.
    I forgot the word Leadville in my original post.
    One way car rental from LEADVILLE to the Denver Airport. If the timing is better and saves you a night in the Leadville, Breck, Frisco area the rental car might be economically viable.
    Have fun.
    Wayne

Thanks. I will check into that too. I know it seems like a lot of hassle for 50 miles, but I am giving this a try and may try for more miles the next time.

There you go. I'll be in the neighborhood in a few weeks. Dredging up old memories.
    Have a great hike.
    Wayne

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

How about LYFT or UBER?
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

++ New Posts ++