WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Thanks, Folks

Thank you all for making the ecological pressures clear to me. I will definitely abide by these rules.

I have not heard any stories of thru-hikers not following the GSMNP guidelines as far as stealth camping. It is not uncommon for them to play the game of hoping the shelter fills up so they can tent outside in close proximity to the shelter. That goes for section hikers as well. The limited spots to shelter/camp in the Smokies make them a little more challenging, but it is a special experience. If the weather is great, you will never forget the views. If the weather is terrible, you will talk about the experience for years. You can't lose.

My opinion is that all hikers need to understand the park rules in the areas they are hiking in and comply with them. They are not punitive in nature and are there for good reason. Not picking on you, but I have a real bug in my rear for the attitude many thru-hikers have regarding GSMNP and Baxter. Great parks that provide a tremendous experience for hikers. Their rules are not difficult to comply with.

Quote Originally Posted by KilroyWasHere View Post
    Thank you all for making the ecological pressures clear to me. I will definitely abide by these rules.
    That sounds nice. The fact remains that the NPS makes the rules. Good, bad or inconsistent. I'm thankful that some park rules are not uniform throughout the system.
    Conscientious citizens bide by those rules.
    Have fun Y'all!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Still unsure why this restriction is obvious. Kindly respond as if I was a rather dull six year old. Thanks.
    why do anyone rules exist at any protected area? why do we have national parks at all?

it is not like the rest of the AT, simply stated, because it is a national park, and with that comes all that being inside the back country of a national park entails.

If you need another reason, it's pretty close to being a rain forest. There are parts that are just moss covered and damp. You'd have a hard time finding a place to setup that didn't immediately destroy the plant life.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    If you need another reason, it's pretty close to being a rain forest. There are parts that are just moss covered and damp. You'd have a hard time finding a place to setup that didn't immediately destroy the plant life.
    pretty close? is it not, in fact, a temperate rainforest, and one of the only ones in north america at that?

Images

map showing the location of all temperate rain forest's in the world. on a worldwide scale, they are more rare than i was even remembering-

Temperate_rainforest_map.svg.png

Hi all. Planning a Nobo thru hike in 2018. My understanding is that camping is limited to the shelters or directly around the shelters through the Smokies. What is the reasoning to this and do most thru hikers abide by it? Thanks.

Kilroywashere
    The reasoning is that they want to reduce the impact of campers, by keeping them to a few sacrificial sites. From all I've read, most thru hikers abide by it.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Some truth to that, but thru hikers have a lot of time to talk to one another and they run out topics over the course of 6 months.

I'd just hate to lose areas like this, because someone decided to tent on top of some low scrub.

IMG_20160502_112455419.jpg

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I'd just hate to lose areas like this, because someone decided to tent on top of some low scrub.

IMG_20160502_112455419.jpg
    Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    While rangers are rare in the back country, ridge runners work the AT corridor (staffing levels vary based on the season).
    Last 3-4 hikes in GSMNP involving AT segments or AT lean-to stays I've seen/met and have had questions asked of me by a ridge runner or NP Ranger half the time.

Umm, I once heard it said character and integrity is doing what one knows they should be doing when they think no one is watching.

You are welcome. Very nice that you considered what was being shared.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    map showing the location of all temperate rain forest's in the world. on a worldwide scale, they are more rare than i was even remembering-

Temperate_rainforest_map.svg.png
    Thx for sharing this. It was a learning experience.

Criticism leveled against being forced to stay in crowded shelters in the Smokies, is that for $20 all you are getting in return is Norovirus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Criticism leveled against being forced to stay in crowded shelters in the Smokies, is that for $20 all you are getting in return is Norovirus

lets see----ive stayed in crowded shelters and never have gotten norovirus...

i feel so left out.....

but on the other hand-----ive had plenty of shelters to myself..........and some on holiday weekends....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ....Imagine what would happen to the environment we all so enjoy if through GSMNP and the Whites if we started doing what we wanted ignoring regs that are in place for darn good "let's consider a larger whole" reasons.
    I imagine it would look pretty much like the AT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Don't like the rules, go someplace else.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The restrictions is to limit camping impact to the Park's terrain. If you want more details, I suggest contact the GSMNP themselves.

I wouldn't stealth as if you are caught, you will be fined. The AT is patrolled by ridgerunners on a regular basis. They are trained to identify illegal camping.

If you list yourself as a long distance hiker, you will have more freedom to camp at shelters. Hang out at the shelters till full then make camp.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 08-28-2017 at 11:28.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++