WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    The first two weeks are the most difficult. Then it's moderate or easy, although you can make it difficult if you want. Yes Maine is more difficult than Georgia but...how do I quantify that when it took me seven days to hike the first 90 miles to get out of Georgia but I covered 170 miles the last week in Maine?
    ive never hiked GA but it does seem to me like there should be distinction made between the trail itself actually being difficult and people commonly having a hard time with it because they arent in hiking shape.

i suspect ME would have destroyed you had you gone there in the shape you were in that took 7 days to hike GA.

personally, i still cant wrap my head around the concept of someone who cant yet walk 15 miles in a day anywhere deciding to undertake walking 2100+, but it seems a lot of people do it.

Images

To be clear... I have only done the GA section. However, when I compare it to many "Wilderness Area" trails I have hiked since then, can say the AT section seemed easier. Note -- I did not say easy, but that really depends on how many miles you put in per day. So just agreeing, "its just walkin'". Not trying to piss off any die hard AT only fans, but more remote and less traveled trails are out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Lonewolf will be along shortly to explain all in just 3 little words

Level of Difficulty on any trail including the AT is dependent not only on inclines and Nut climbs and/or descents but on ambient temps, wind speed, rain intensity and duration, postholing and snow depths---and Snowdowns---whereby the green tunnel trail is blocked by leaning snow-heavy brush. Add in the aforementioned yellow jackets and pit vipers and furnace heat. Anyone enjoy getting oven-baked?

Rarely does a trail exist as just a Trail, without the above components added into the mix. Ever hike at 0F with two feet of snow? Then even a level trail is tough. How difficult was the trail for Kate Matrosova?

Of course when an online forum discusses AT Difficulty it readily devolves down to the lowest denominator---how tough are the hills. The question then should be, How difficult is the AT in perfect conditions? This would be a fantasy question getting fantasy answers.

Quote Originally Posted by clusterone View Post
    To be clear... I have only done the GA section. However, when I compare it to many "Wilderness Area" trails I have hiked since then, can say the AT section seemed easier. Note -- I did not say easy, but that really depends on how many miles you put in per day. So just agreeing, "its just walkin'". Not trying to piss off any die hard AT only fans, but more remote and less traveled trails are out there.
    You remind me of the AT versus other "wilderness" trails. How difficult is a trail without blowdowns vs a trail obliterated with the things? A thousand times easier!!

Every state has sections of trail which test you. Even in "easy" states, it seems they go out of their way to make the trail "interesting" in places. Weather is also a factor. An otherwise easy section of trail can become a nightmare in stormy weather. A difficult section of trail can become deadly.

NH and ME might have some big climbs, but you can do more up and down in a day on a "flat" section of trail due to what I call "microbumps". These are the endless ups and downs along a ridge which are too small to show up on the profile map but wear you down. A fundamental rule of trail layout says "don't go around if you can go over", even if this means a 20 foot scramble up a pile of rocks.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

My hiking partners and I were up to 20 miles a day and then we hit NH. We slowed down to 10 a day throughout the Whites. We were up to 20 again in the 100 mile. Not sure what our average was but I'm sure it was many more days than what we thought it would be. Took us five and a half months. I think that is pretty average. Would have hated it if we had to stick to some sort of schedule that we came up with before the hike. Not sure how this compares to other trails but overall I found it very challenging and outright difficult at times. I'm older and by the end my knees were shot. For me the hardest part was to keep going every day when my knees were yelling at me to stop.

-

easy answer 5 1/2 months with 11 days off ( 1 per 2 weeks average )

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    ive never hiked GA but it does seem to me like there should be distinction made between the trail itself actually being difficult and people commonly having a hard time with it because they arent in hiking shape.

i suspect ME would have destroyed you had you gone there in the shape you were in that took 7 days to hike GA.

personally, i still cant wrap my head around the concept of someone who cant yet walk 15 miles in a day anywhere deciding to undertake walking 2100+, but it seems a lot of people do it.
    I could walk 15 miles a day for three straight days before I started. The problem was I could do that in five hours and needed to build up to hiking all day and every day. There's no way I would have planned on doubling my distance in ME.

Like how some of my hardest days weren't the easy 30 milers it was only hiking 16 the next day because I needed more rest. Same for zeros: six straight 22 milers and I don't need a rest but 5 straight marathons and I do. After six days I had covered the same distance but in one scenario I had a zero in there. There are too many variables.

Planning was was much easier looking from one resupply to the next than trying to hit a place on a certain day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You remind me of the AT versus other "wilderness" trails. How difficult is a trail without blowdowns vs a trail obliterated with the things? A thousand times easier!!
    Thousands! Was not trying to start that debate... Just got back from Brush Mountain (Ike Branch) of Citico. Now that is a trail! It made the North Fork Trail seem like a state park. Oh and thanks for the tape!

Climb at a pace you can maintain with reasonable effort, with the attitude that you get there when you get there, and before you know it you are there.

Filling your mind with angst and trying to hurry it up ain't gunna make it any quicker.

Images

[QUOTE=cmoulder;2162865]Climb at a pace you can maintain with reasonable effort, with the attitude that you get there when you get there, and before you know it you are there.
    Outstanding CMoulder! You should get the great folks at Pack-it Gourmet to pay you for gems like that. They could print them like fortune cookie fortunes, and put one in every meal. Might just be the words to keep someone on the trail.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    I could walk 15 miles a day for three straight days before I started. The problem was I could do that in five hours and needed to build up to hiking all day and every day. There's no way I would have planned on doubling my distance in ME.

Like how some of my hardest days weren't the easy 30 milers it was only hiking 16 the next day because I needed more rest. Same for zeros: six straight 22 milers and I don't need a rest but 5 straight marathons and I do. After six days I had covered the same distance but in one scenario I had a zero in there. There are too many variables.

Planning was was much easier looking from one resupply to the next than trying to hit a place on a certain day.
    You know, unless you were on a really tight timetable, you didn't need to build up from doing those 15 miles in five hours, or whatever. (I'm a lot slower than you.)

If you can average 14-mile days, and average one zero a week, you'll finish in six months. Even accounting for short mileage at the beginning (if you don't start out in trail shape) and in NH/ME, nobody has to do 20+-mile days.

Except that with the short days, I'd imagine that big swaths of Virginia and Maryland could get pretty boring.

Really, LW is right, it's just walking. You don't need to pound big miles, you just have to keep going.

Says a guy whose longest planned hike to date was about 140 miles, and while the plan was 13 days + two zeroes, the execution turned into 12 days + about two hundred zeroes. So take this with a grain of salt. But ... it's just division - 14 miles gozinta 2189 how many times? (Incidentally, because of starting out that hike in bad shape, I planned 8-12 mile days. I found that in the easy terrain that I encountered, that 12-15 was more comfortable, so I got to my resupplies early. Everything was fine until I fell down and hurt some things.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    The first ten days out of Springer was the most difficult hiking I ever did. I thought Maine and NH was a breeze.
    Cute, and says so much.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries

Attitude is everything
    Along with a flexible schedule
    Parts of the AT are much harder than others
    But they are all just as hard as YOU make them
    By the wt you carry, and miles you try to do per day.

Hiking south on CDT I once remarked to a nobo thru hiker I crossed paths with " Its a long way up to the pass".

He just smiled and said "Its a long way to Canada".

Thats the attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    You know, unless you were on a really tight timetable, you didn't need to build up from doing those 15 miles in five hours, or whatever. (I'm a lot slower than you.)

If you can average 14-mile days, and average one zero a week, you'll finish in six months. Even accounting for short mileage at the beginning (if you don't start out in trail shape) and in NH/ME, nobody has to do 20+-mile days.

Except that with the short days, I'd imagine that big swaths of Virginia and Maryland could get pretty boring.

Really, LW is right, it's just walking. You don't need to pound big miles, you just have to keep going.

Says a guy whose longest planned hike to date was about 140 miles, and while the plan was 13 days + two zeroes, the execution turned into 12 days + about two hundred zeroes. So take this with a grain of salt. But ... it's just division - 14 miles gozinta 2189 how many times? (Incidentally, because of starting out that hike in bad shape, I planned 8-12 mile days. I found that in the easy terrain that I encountered, that 12-15 was more comfortable, so I got to my resupplies early. Everything was fine until I fell down and hurt some things.)
    If you want to half the miles to make it more relatable, do it. I just enjoyed hiking the green tunnel all day more than camping and I wound up doing more miles than I would have ever planned on most days. But if helped me figure out what kind of trips I like and that has been the important part.

If you have hiked NH and ME, you know sometimes you are not "just walking". Just not true.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    If you have hiked NH and ME, you know sometimes you are not "just walking". Just not true.
    I have.

It's just walking while clinging to rocks and tree roots for dear life.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Yesterday we covered a bit over 17 miles in unusually warm weather on trail that varie greatly in difficulty. This morning we hiked only​ 9.4 miles into Rangely. Was it a hard two days? Nope...but I peed blood when I got to town today. I didn't drink enough due to a dry spring at one of the shelters and now I'm paying for it.

Even easy trail can bite you in bad weather.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by clusterone View Post
    Thousands! Was not trying to start that debate... Just got back from Brush Mountain (Ike Branch) of Citico. Now that is a trail! It made the North Fork Trail seem like a state park. Oh and thanks for the tape!
    Ah yes, beloved Brush Mt---a wilderness trail so vastly different than the AT experience . . . and unknown by the vast majority of AT enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Yesterday we covered a bit over 17 miles in unusually warm weather on trail that varie greatly in difficulty. This morning we hiked only​ 9.4 miles into Rangely. Was it a hard two days? Nope...but I peed blood when I got to town today. I didn't drink enough due to a dry spring at one of the shelters and now I'm paying for it.

Even easy trail can bite you in bad weather.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    If that was really blood and not just really really dark urine, then it is not likely due to dehydration. Hematuria is a bad symptom. Get yourself to a doctor for blood work asap. Seriously. Unless you suffered physical trauma to a kidney, this is NOT A GOOD SIGN AND NOT LIKELY RELATED TO DEHYDRATION. I am assuming it is dark urine. Actual bright blood in your urine is something you need to go to the ER for immediately. I'm guessing it's a UTI, bladder infection or something along those lines in the urinary system. Although, acute kidney injury due to extreme physical exertion while severely dehydrated is a possibility as well but kinda rare. That's no bueno, either. I'd see a doc. Blood in urine is just never ever a sign of anything good...even if it's just a stone, you don't want a ureter blocked miles away from rescue...just sayin!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++