Default Timberline Lodge to Cascade Locks (via PDX)

Hi guys. I'm going to try a short PCT hike near Portland. I decided due to ease of transportation (3 bus rides from the airport) on starting at the Timberline Lodge (above Government Camp near Mt Hood, as seen in The Shining) and meet my hiking buddy 4 days later in Cascade Locks. Since this is my first PCT/PNW trip I'm full of questions:
    1.Butane Stove Fuel, knife/multi-tool, trekking poles are all forbidden on airline carry-on luggage. Shipping my whole pack would cost $58 one-way (if this is too high let me know (Shipping AL to OR)) + $5 handling fee (then I still have to deal with it when I go back). Buying a knife, trekking poles and fuel at Walmart at my starting point would cost ~$40 plus running around (ditch before return). Checked baggage fees would be $50 (and I'll have to buy fuel when I get there). What to do? Timberline doesn't sell fuel.

2. My freind is meeting me Friday afternoon, and we're thinking of doing a loop In the Columbia Gorge, any suggestions?

3. Any experience hammocking in that area, looks like some travel above treeline (not sure how much though)? How about bugs (mid August)?

I hammock'd that section in 2015 and there are lots of places to hang. I went through in early July and the bugs (mosquitoes and those biting flies) were pretty bad. If you stay on the PCT and don't hike down the eagle creek trail to cascade locks I would check it out. Not sure about the fuel/knife/poles issue (I don't use any of them). Does the Timberline Lodge accept mail drops?

Yes that's the $58+$5 option.

Images

I believe the Eagle creek trail is closed due to fire. Too bad because that is one of the highlights of that section.

http://www.oregonlive.com/wildfires/...umbia_riv.html
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

It happened nearly a month ago though. I'm inquiring of the locals at Oregonhikers.org.

If Eagle Creek is closed or you are a waterfall fanatic as I am check out the Columbia River Gorge Tr. I've never done the CRGT but Eagle Ck is a PCT highlite. Walk across Bridge of the Gods too thinking about how many thousands of PCTers have done the same. It's a cool walk with open steel grating you can see down to the water. The grating and steel bridge shakes a bit and makes a weird sound when autos drive across. Check out Cascade Locks too. Go down by the Locks and read the historical signs. Grab a pizza in Cascade Locks overlooking the river.

Images
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

There is another fire burning south of there near Jefferson Park closing an 11 mile section of the PCT. This is really screwing up my planned section hike. Praying for rain fast, none in the forecast.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Any hostel recommendations?

++ New Posts ++