WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Default Reality Check- Mazatzals in August?

I've been chipping away at the AZT for the past two years, and the opportunity for one last section this year has come up. I'm looking at Pine/HWY 87 (mile 328 SOBO) south to HWY 87 (mile 402 SOBO). The AZT website lists each of the passages (21-25) in this stretch as "all year," and it looks like the high temps in Payson aren't exceeding mid 80's right now. I also don't see any active wildfires in the area. Water looks thin, but I'm assuming there is water at the East Verde River / LF Ranch, and I'm comfortable carrying 8 liters for the remaining 50 miles if needed.

Long story short, I like to do my homework, and Arizona in August seems potentially ill-advised, especially for such a notoriously remote section. Given the above information, I feel pretty confident in my ability to cover these miles, but am I missing anything? Should I expect every 0 to 2 reliability water source to be bone dry?

Really appreciate any information on this section! Thanks in advance!

-Jeff

Garlic
    Images

Call one of the trail stewards listed for the area on the ATA website. That could be a difficult hike depending on brush conditions.

Weather conditions could change. It's generally cool across the region right now, I think.

Be sure you have a comprehensive map and plan for bail-out if your water situation gets dire. I have made the 50-mile water carries in that area--it's possible.

Images

The Monsoon season has started and so far we have been getting rain fairly consistently, in that area. But the Monsoon is a finicky thing.

Here is an image taken on July 22nd at the base of the Mazazols looking east https://www.flickr.com/photos/yaduck...posted-public/

As you approach 4 peaks the highs will be low 100's but with luck it will be over cast.

Take Garlics advise and TT someone who has been in that area recently.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Thank you Garlic and yaduck! According to the latest AZT newsletter, a huge restoration project has just been completed in the Mazatzals, so at least the trail should be in decent shape. My hiking partner has reached out to a few of the trail stewards in this area and we'll keep an eye on the weather. As of right now, we're going for it!

++ New Posts ++