WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    Images

I put a small once wrap of duct tape on the head end of my HH so when in the snake skins, it is easy for set-up.
    :datz May the four winds blow me safely to Maine.

www.trailjournals.com/cheesewhiz

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    You say you don't have a ruler. Use a dollar bill as a template. It's so close that no one will notice, whether the blaze is painted or is simply a patch from a milk jug.

Weary
    Better yet, take that dollar and go buy a ruler.

wrt to painted blazes I wonder why more clubs don't touch up old "expanded" blazes by edging the 2x6 blaze area with black or brown to cover over the old expanded paint - I wound think that would look better and be somewhat easier than scraping the old blaze off to repaint

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice
    wrt to painted blazes I wonder why more clubs don't touch up old "expanded" blazes by edging the 2x6 blaze area with black or brown to cover over the old expanded paint - I wound think that would look better and be somewhat easier than scraping the old blaze off to repaint
    That looks okay only if you can use paint that comes close to matching the bark of the tree. Otherwise it just emphasizes the past mistake.

As for Hog's suggestion that one buy a ruler, rather than use a dollar bill as a template, that's a great idea! I'll do it the next time I find an office supply store on the trail.

Weary

Thumbs up Baking Soda

Use it instead of smelly, bear-baitin', where-do-I-spit toothpaste. Just dab a damp toothbrush in a small amount of it and scrub away!

Use it as an underarm deodorant. Pat it on after you clean up and you'll be set for a couple days.

Use it to remove stains from cookware. Make a paste by adding some water and it makes a great polishing compound.

Quote Originally Posted by Walessp
    My tip is using WalMart-style plastic bags over wet socks after you have gotten your socks and shoes wet and still need to hike on. Socks dry quicker and the soaking wet shoes don't seem to be as uncomfortable.

Sky Rider
    (walessp)
    I go to subway and ask for a bunch of plastic sandwich sleeves...they're shaped like socks almost and work great. Except I put them on before my socks get wet and they stay dry...

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz
    I put them on before my socks get wet and they stay dry...
    My sweaty feet would just love this improvised sauna!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd worry about Athlete's foot forming by encasing feet in plastic, esp if you're feet are wet. You don't need feet cracking and itching. They need to breathe.

My Salomon Canyon GTX Gortex boots work for me. Love 'em!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful
    I'd worry about Athlete's foot forming by encasing feet in plastic, esp if you're feet are wet. You don't need feet cracking and itching. They need to breathe. ...
    Encasing feet is not a problem for a few hours, even an afternoon. Just don't keep them encased 24 hours or more, certainly not days at a time. Remember, a successful hike requires moderation in all things.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SavageLlama
    1. Carry 15 - 20 feet of twine or nylon string. Makes a great clothesline in camp and weighs nothing.

2. Keep your camera handy - such as in your water bottle pouch - so you won't miss great but fleeting shots of wildlife, etc.

3. Keep a journal and take tons of pictures - you'll thank yourself later.
    dont forget photo logs

Images

note that if you are a northbounder when you wake up in the morning the sun will always be on your right as you are walking. some people last year did not realize this and accidentally became a 2.5kmiler

I smell like New Jersey... SGTdirtman's Avatar
    Images

Does anyone fish on the trail? last year i decided to try.... I wrapped some fishing line around a little 35mm film canister and put some hooks inside the canister... when i stopped at a lake for lunch or something id cut some line and throw a couple hooks out in the water with worms i found by the bank, in a matter of minutes i cought a few sunfish and fried them up for lunch. you can usually find some food in your pack to use as bait if you dont feel like digging for worms, sunfish eat pretty much anything

gave me something to do while sitting down and a nice meal with fresh meat that took basicly no time at all and only envolved putting a tiny 35mm film canister in my pack. (the fishing line also has a million other uses on the trail, great for sewing, makes a nice close line, 20lb test line is strong enough to use as a boot lace in a pinch)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gargamel
    Interesting. It's exactly the opposite. And what to do if you are ON the equator?
    if you can afford to fly or hike to the equator then you can spend 2 bucks on a compass

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGTdirtman
    Does anyone fish on the trail? last year i decided to try.... I wrapped some fishing line around a little 35mm film canister and put some hooks inside the canister... when i stopped at a lake for lunch or something id cut some line and throw a couple hooks out in the water with worms i found by the bank, in a matter of minutes i cought a few sunfish and fried them up for lunch. you can usually find some food in your pack to use as bait if you dont feel like digging for worms, sunfish eat pretty much anything

gave me something to do while sitting down and a nice meal with fresh meat that took basicly no time at all and only envolved putting a tiny 35mm film canister in my pack. (the fishing line also has a million other uses on the trail, great for sewing, makes a nice close line, 20lb test line is strong enough to use as a boot lace in a pinch)
    tried last year i converted my leki pole into a rod using a reel hose clamps and rod eyelets did't catch anything however. the leki poles don't bend soo easliy.

Originally Posted by Blissful
    I'd worry about Athlete's foot forming by encasing feet in plastic, esp if you're feet are wet. You don't need feet cracking and itching. They need to breathe. ...
    A little wet and sweaty is better than totally soaked and wrinkled...at the end of the day get out your rubbing alcohol and dry off your feet with it and you're good to go.

Plus the gore-tex just keeps the water in the boot after it comes in over the top in heavy rain....

To remove ticks easily (but this is one more thing to carry) get a very small bottle and fill it with turpentine. A little dab with a Q-tip, cloth, or finger placed on the tick's rear end causes it to back out in just a few seconds.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Images

If you're a light sleeper, try ear plugs. If that with out them, I take notice of every little sound (tarp rustling, branches breaking in the distance) and I get to sleep faster.

A warm bottle of hot cocco in you sleeping bag keep you warm and make a nice 3am snack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by robanna

A warm bottle of hot cocco in you sleeping bag keep you warm and make a nice 3am snack.
    If the bears don't take it away from you first!

bandana tied to my shoulder strap to wipe sweat from my brow. also kept my journal on my maps.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++