WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

They have PV foam towels used for drying cars in Walmart in the automotive section...come in a clear plastic tube, cost 6 bucks. Its my most useful piece of gear. When completely dry and folded it feels and weighs about the same as a styromfoam block the size of a pack of cigarettes. It absorbs 20 times its weight in water and releases 96% of it when you wring it. Makes a great bath towel, cut up it makes great headbands and wristbands, it dries your tent off in the morning like nothing else does.

Here is the really cool trick: If you get soaked take your clothes and roll them up in it and wring, do it a few times. It is amazing how well it removes the water, enough to put everything back on, and your body heat will finish the drying process in minutes.

This is the best 6 dollars you'll ever spend on anything that goes in your pack. I was curious to see what exactly the water content was in my pearl uzumi shirt after I'd dried it like this so I ran some tests at home. I soaked the shirt in a bucket of water and wrung it out in the PV towel a number of times then weighed it on a digital postal scale. I then completely dried it dryer and re-weighed it. The difference in weight was only 6/10ths of an ounce.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swift
    They have PV foam towels used for drying cars in Walmart in the automotive section...come in a clear plastic tube, cost 6 bucks. Its my most useful piece of gear. When completely dry and folded it feels and weighs about the same as a styromfoam block the size of a pack of cigarettes. It absorbs 20 times its weight in water and releases 96% of it when you wring it. Makes a great bath towel, cut up it makes great headbands and wristbands, it dries your tent off in the morning like nothing else does.

Here is the really cool trick: If you get soaked take your clothes and roll them up in it and wring, do it a few times. It is amazing how well it removes the water, enough to put everything back on, and your body heat will finish the drying process in minutes.

This is the best 6 dollars you'll ever spend on anything that goes in your pack. I was curious to see what exactly the water content was in my pearl uzumi shirt after I'd dried it like this so I ran some tests at home. I soaked the shirt in a bucket of water and wrung it out in the PV towel a number of times then weighed it on a digital postal scale. I then completely dried it dryer and re-weighed it. The difference in weight was only 6/10ths of an ounce.
    If that works half as well as you describe, it's the idea of the decade! Thanks, I'm going to try it.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler
    Another thing I found (probably known by quite a few others) is that some dehydrated foods don't need hot water unless you insist on a hot meal. Simply put the water in the food product an hour or so before you will eat it, time depends on the food, and hike on to camp. No extra weight since you're already carrying the food and water. Experiment with different foods you will carry to determine the minimum time needed.
    Alternatively, add half the water beforehand and then the other half when you stop. Cuts down on the amount you need to heat AND you get a hot meal.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Images

I learned to strip excess boxes and packaging on the food that I carry.

Duct tape, duct tape, duct tape not something new but I love this stuff. I use it for everything.

Trash bags, I put everything into trash bags and even use them for a pack cover at night so that my pack does not get wet when it is hanging from the bears.

I got rid of the coleman latern and the coleman stove and went with a canister stove with an attachment for cooking and a small attachment for light. I have burned it all night at it lowest setting and I have never run out of gas on the trail yet.

I also learned to carry my water in a bladder with a hose and I have in my pack so that I sip water all the time. I find I get better performance getting my water this way instead of drinking from my bottle.

And when I have damp or wet clothes I throw them on the roof of the shelter and they dry very quickly.

And one thing that I learned was I take wash cloths and wrap them around the shoulder staps with duct tape for impact protection. Take the pain out of my shoulder with more protection on the straps.

Images

Bag of bags: light weight stuff sacks packed by use: clothes, food, first aid, etc

To gauge remaining time til sunset use your fingers between sun and horizon. One finger=15minutes.

Poncho uses (using army-issue as example): well ventilated raingear and pack cover in one. Tarp (if you're tall like me can put foot of sleeping bag in waterproof bag). Stretcher. If you use a quilt sew little ties as corners and midpoints - tie into poncho for bedroll.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

If I'm staying at a hostel or a place with a freezer, I'll buy a nice piece of meat and freeze it overnight.

When I head out for the Trail, I'll double-wrap it (so it doesn't bleed or make a mess); by the end of the day, it's thawed nicely and can be cut up and added to whatever I'm eating.

A typical hiker-glop dinner (rice, pasta, etc.) is much improved when there's steak in it.

If I remember, I'll also leave town or a hostel with some hard-boiled eggs; great for snacks or lunch and very good for you.

Getting lots of fruit in town can really help you power through the next few days. I use the outer net on my pack, this helps keep it fresh
    Throwing pearls to swine.

~LIVE WELL~LAUGH OFTEN~LOVE MUCH~ Green Bean's Avatar
    Images

i throw my extra clothing (socks,underwear,pants,shirt,etc..)in my stuff sack for my sleeping bag and use it as a pillow. ~GB

Pain killers, the more powerful, the better

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man
    The one trick that eliminates most issues and the need for other tricks is to carry an ample supply of Scotch Whiskey.
    Everclear also doubles as fuel ... just kidding guys.

Practice cooking at home. Make marks on your practice fuel canister with a sharpie to keep track of many 'cooks' you get. Use a pot cozy and wind screen. Take some town food in for the first day, like a sub and chips, or Jack's excellent idea of frozen meat. Get the clear lighters so you can see how much fuel is left. My camera, head lamp, and radio all use the same size battery. (batts that won't run the camera anymore will still run a headlamp or radio) Pencils, not pens. Drink your fill at water sources. And in the 'works for me' catagory: I pack up and hit the trail at first light. An hour and half or so later I stop for breakfast, around mid-day I'll look for a likely spot and take a boots off nap, and I swim whenever I get the chance in hot weather.
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 02-02-2006 at 23:47.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I stop sometime between 1:00 and 3:00 in the afternoon and cook my hot meal and then hike on until dark. I make better mileage this way and when I get to camp I'm ready to sleep.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

I will second Swift on the towel idea, unfortunately I paid way more than I should of buying it from REI as a PackTowel, but these things are awesome. Twice I have had to set my tent up in a downpour and twice it has completely dried out the inside of my tent, essential seeing as I carry down bags to sleep in. This thing soaks up puddles!!!...and you don't even notice it in your pack. I always have to have it with me when I hike now.

Here's a trick for newbies...many of you already know to do this..."Camel Up" Drink 1 to 2 liters at the source and that way you don't have to carry more than two liters to the next water source. I used to dehydrate fast as a big guy, and since I started to do this...no problems. I used to carry 3-4 when I was just starting out...never again. Oh yeah, and I only use a filter now at questionable looking water holes, saves me time, but that is my decision. YMMV.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Quote Originally Posted by snowhoe
    This is not my idea, but I read on here some where that wood hook screws would be great for hanging stuff on when you get to the shelters or on trees to hang your water bag or semi-light stuff. They are defently going in my pack this time. They dont weigh nothing and I think I would use them.
    I'm assuming you mean to take them out when you move on. But I really don't think it's a good idea to put screw holes in the shelters or even on the trees.

Panzer

Images

If you stop in town to get food, get a lunch meat sandwich without any mayonnaise. It's the mayonnaise that goes bad real fast. Instead get extra mustard. Ask to have it double wrapped. Even in the summer you will be able to eat it for dinner before it spoils.

Panzer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    Pencils, not pens.
    Hay, speaking of pencils, to save weight I found these cheap pencils at Staples that don't have any paint on them.

Panzer

buy orange or bright colored lighters when you get to town. trying to find a green lighter after you've dropped it can be difficult sometimes. i hiked with someone who had a brillo pad to clean her dishes with, i thought that was a great idea too. in the summer, taking a couple of hershey bars and putting them into my peanut butter jar is delicious!

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mdionne
    buy orange or bright colored lighters when you get to town. trying to find a green lighter after you've dropped it can be difficult sometimes. i hiked with someone who had a brillo pad to clean her dishes with, i thought that was a great idea too. in the summer, taking a couple of hershey bars and putting them into my peanut butter jar is delicious!
    Just don't get your peanut butter on my chocolate.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Quote Originally Posted by mdionne
    buy orange or bright colored lighters when you get to town. trying to find a green lighter after you've dropped it can be difficult sometimes.
    A white Bic allows you to see how much butane is left in the lighter. It is also easy to spot.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I measured out 1 cup of water, put it in my cooking pot and scratched a line as to where the "1 Cup mark" is.
    Did the same for 2 Cups.
    This way I'm atleast close to the right amount of water when cooking.
    (I used to end up with "rice soup" when I really wanted just rice)

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++