WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

DUH....the sun's always directly above you on the equator, Just look up, then turn to the right for north, left for south.

Quote Originally Posted by gargamel
    Interesting. It's exactly the opposite. And what to do if you are ON the equator?
    Carry a compass??!
    Roland

actually the sun is only directly over you twice a year at the equator (first day of fall and first day of spring) so better carry a compass just in case

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji
    DUH....the sun's always directly above you on the equator, Just look up, then turn to the right for north, left for south.

what if you happen to be facing west at the time?

sorry. I meant facing EAST

Quote Originally Posted by swift
    what if you happen to be facing EAST at the time?
    You will also get to the point you were heading for. It only will take a l i t t l e longer.
    There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path [Morpheus - The Matrix]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Trailjournals

Quote Originally Posted by carolinahiker
    Well this works for me i rubber bands a coffe filter over my water pump inlet to help keep out the grit etc .
    For years I sat right down by creeks zen-pumping water like an idjit. Now I use gallon freezer Ziploc bags to fetch water so I can filter it somewhere more comfortable than a damp rock. Ziplock bags are also good for collecting water dripping from seeps or from shallow waterholes. And you can let the bags sit for a while to settle out silt. (Fill em about half-full for easy carrying.)

I use a OR Hydroseal bag for general camp storage--it hangs from the hammock line. This bag also doubles as a carrier for water-filled Ziplocs, although I could also just fill that directly if I needed to. Having a carrier lets you fill up the Ziplocs more.

Doug Frost

In the really hot mid-summer days I would be hiking by around 6:30 am. I would stop for lunch around 12.30 then have a siesta for a couple of hours. It really recharged my batteries.
    Downunda

I have a small microlite hanging in the centre of my tent. If I need to go to the john in the middle of the night I leave it turned on sdo it acts as a beacon to guide me home. Don't laugh as I read a hiker's journal where he went to the john on a dark night and got lost and had to sleep in the open at the bottom of a gully until dawn.
    Downunda

Juat remembered a great trail trick. I was three days into my 2000 thru and in a tent on a mountain top in Georgia. According to my radio in was 20 degrees in Atlanta that night. Both my Nalgene bottles froze solid in my tent and in the morning I couldn't even unscrew the tops to get water for breakfast. A day later a more experienced hiker told me if it is going to freeze allways put your Nalgenes upside down. In the morning turn them over and the ice will be on the bottom, water on top. and the tops will screw right off. Now when I winter hike my water bottles are always upside down. (of course the other option is to pee on your bottles to thaw the tops out but then the water is still frozen at top when the caps come off.)
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

Or sleep with your water bottle.

or limit the amount of water you are keeping overnight and get fresh water in the morning - below freezing I'll sleep with about 0.5 liter and stock up in the morning before hiking on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice
    or limit the amount of water you are keeping overnight and get fresh water in the morning - below freezing I'll sleep with about 0.5 liter and stock up in the morning before hiking on.
    if it's going to be below freezing, I usually put the amount of water I anticipate needing for breakfast in my cook pot, put the lid on, and set it aside so it won't get knocked over during the night.... I usually tarp camp when it's too cold to hang. Keep the stove and pot under the tarp with me. Also makes it convenient if it gets too cold and I find I need to boil water to put in a nalgene at my feet...
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Images

Speaking of water, I love tent camping and water can be a problem when you choose your spot. Never loose the chance to harvest rainwater when it rolls off of your tent/tarp. I remember the first time I did this. I felt like a genius. What I like about this is that it turns a potential negative (rain) into a positive (H2O).

tuna can or smaller foil pouch filled with soil/sand, soak with stove fuel. Remove fuel container from area before lighting! It burns slowly and will catch the wettest twigs on fire. sandman

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

I too use a foot or so of duck tape about only 1 inch wide aroud a see thru lighter... but first put a safety pin under it... this give a loop to afix a dummy cord.... now never without fire, safety pin to rmove splinters , lance blisters etc and enough duck tape for blister coverage and plenty of butterfly bandages...

pocket knife goes on another dummy cord.

never lost these critical items.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    Or sleep with your water bottle.
    Or even better, if it's going to be that cold, boil enough water at dinner time to make a hot water bottle. Put it in your sleeping bag while you eat, then crawl into the warmth. I usually put a sock over mine. It holds the heat longer, keeps me from burning my toes, and absorbs any minor leakage.

This is an awesome thread

Default pack lights

my two .8oz each black diamond ion headlamps go one each prussik knotted to the inside key loop of my lid and one to the main bags inner lip.remove and where,tie to tent pole for pee lite and replace to find things and allways know where my lites are.also ,...use the space between the folds of an egg carton shape rigderest z-light pad to keep screenz,stands,stakes.and put cookpot on in pot bag ,on top of foam pad secured w pot bags cord lock and one pack strap.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji
    depending on which way you're facing...
    I came into this world with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Blister
    A good place for duct tape storage as well - wrap it around your hiking sticks, can't get anymore convenient than that, but be sure to apply approx the same amount on each pole if you are using two.
    Well that's just silly. Everyone knows that you wrap your duct tape around your plastic Jim Beam travel bottle.

Also:
    Put your headlamp around your neck as soon as you get to camp so you don't have to look for it in the dark.

If you use a water filter, be sure to keep the outlet hose in a ziplock so it doesn't become contaminated by the inlet hose when not in use.

If it's below freezing, take your Nalgene and put in in the kitchen closet and go back up to bed and forget about going out hiking.

Have one dry camp meal in your bag that takes virtually no water or fuel to prepare. I recommend a family size bag of Stove Top (It's also light). Frees you up to camp on top of things without having to eat early.

Sleep on the floor in your house for a couple of days to get used to not being in a bed.

Wear your hat when sleeping.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++