WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Question Good Trail Tricks I've learned

On a long distance hike we all learn tricks we never read about in books. Hanging washed socks on my pack with a safety pin, then when they are still a little damp tossing them in my sleeping bag so my body heat dries them completly. On a wet day an excellent fire starter is alcohol hand sanitizer but watch the blue flame. Filtering water through a bandana to remove the floaties before treating it were three tricks I learned the first week out. I know there are a million tricks backpackers use to make their hike more pleasant and I would love to learn some of them.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

Images

This is not my idea, but I read on here some where that wood hook screws would be great for hanging stuff on when you get to the shelters or on trees to hang your water bag or semi-light stuff. They are defently going in my pack this time. They dont weigh nothing and I think I would use them.

Most of the time I'll just use a plastic trash bag, but on occasion, I turn my rain jacket into a pack cover w/hood. The jacket shoudlers go over the top of the pack and the arms tied around and through the shoulder straps, leaving the hood to use as needed. A poor man's Packa.

Quote Originally Posted by snowhoe
    This is not my idea, but I read on here some where that wood hook screws would be great for hanging stuff on when you get to the shelters or on trees to hang your water bag or semi-light stuff. They are defently going in my pack this time. They dont weigh nothing and I think I would use them.
    I'd worry about the screwholes left behind. I can see screwhole covered walls and trees with infections, rot or other problems.

Bucket hats will keep the bugs above your head and out of your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by snowhoe
    Kinda suck if 1000 hikers each year were screwing holes into shelters and trees, sma e for tent platforms. Try a little piece of cord.

For those of you in the northern forests, the best fire starter is the bark of the paper birch. It's light weight, all natural, and flares up as good as anything. It's also a renewable resource - unlike petro products. It also sloughs off of trees naturally, so you don't have to pull bark off of a live tree in order to use it.

Carry some with you on your hike, and you'll have no problem starting a fire. For the NOBOs, once you hit Vermont you'll be passing Paper Birch all the time.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

For hanging lightweight stuff head-high or so on trees carry a piece of stout cord 1/8" about 6 ft. long to tie around the tree. Carry a couple small S-hooks for hanging from the cord. No damage done to the tree.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

The one trick that eliminates most issues and the need for other tricks is to carry an ample supply of Scotch Whiskey.

Another thing I found (probably known by quite a few others) is that some dehydrated foods don't need hot water unless you insist on a hot meal. Simply put the water in the food product an hour or so before you will eat it, time depends on the food, and hike on to camp. No extra weight since you're already carrying the food and water. Experiment with different foods you will carry to determine the minimum time needed.

The new ziplock containers with the screw on lids work well for rehydrating food while you hike.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Tin Man has broken the code. The only bad thing about wilderness is lack of good booze

Pour water directly into the oatmeal pouch. It will hold since it is wax lined.

You can use your sleeping bag as a dryer for damp items, but that water has to evaporate somewhere, normally into your loft.

Images

i love new tricks neo

There are two thoughts on packing tents when breaking camp. One, fold and roll as the factory packages it. Two, grab a corner and start stuffing it in the bag. The latter method supposed to prevent any weak spots or holes developing because of repeated folding in the same place all the time. If you do yours the second way, leave the sleeping bag in the tent and stuff them together. Saves a little time packing, and unpacking too. You'll just have to get a somewhat larger stuff sack than the one for the tent or the bag alone. I can say this works OK for a week or two, might be alright for long hikes also.

Images

I learned about this trick on my last section. Using strips of inner tubes for emergency fire starters. They burn long and really hot and will start fires even when the wood is wet. A strip that is about 2 inchers by 4 inches does the trick. Another trick, line the stuff sack for your bag with a large oven roasting bag. Keeps your bag dry even in the wettest of conditions.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

If you decide to carry one of those 4 liter water bags with a spigot, you can turn it into a pillow by emptying the water, inflating through the open spigot, and covering with your fleece jacket.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Another pillow configuration, learned right here at WhiteBlaze, is to buy a set of kids water wings from Wal-Mart ($2). Cut one of the wings along the seam and you have a nice little two-part inflatable pillow that weighs less than an ounce.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

If you’re freestanding tent has a mesh roof practice setting it up upside down so that when you have to set up in a rain storm you will keep the inside dry.

Images

A couple of tricks that can come in handy. I'm a custom home framer so I try to incorporate some of the materials I use at work into my hikes. I can enthusiastically endorse masons string line(avail at any hardware store or home depot for $2/200ft)for hanging bear bags, guying out your tent or anything else you use a heavier rope for. The stuff is virtually unbreakable and resists abrading. Case in point, I have to string accross rough concrete to measure and level steel beams, etc. Tough conditions and the stuff never breaks. Best of all, it weighs nothing and has tremendous strength.

Another multitasking building material is sub-floor adhesive. When hiking I primarily use this as a wet day fire starter. I keep a small amount(maybe 3-4oz)in a lexan bottle and if needed scoop out a thumbnail size serving to start my fire. This stuff is unreal...it burns for 3-5 minutes and is a no-fail option. If it dries out, it works just as well if not better than when its fresh. The down side is that it stinks when burning...could it be the Methylchlorohydrosiloxane? We may never know, but if the smell doesn't bug you it's awesome stuff.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++