WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24

Great thread. I've just spent my ice day reading the whole thing. Thanks for all of the great tips. I'm a newbie, so I don;t have anything to contribute. Didn;t know Moxie, but I've read about him here and on another site. Thanks Moxie, your passion is still alive.
    DT

I read the entire thread, i did only skim over some parts. One thing i really remember from my hike even tho it was by no means a life saver. I really like bringing a ziplock bag of instant mashed potatoes to thicken up any meal i cook that ends up a little watery. Slightly more useful "maybe" i used the drops to treat questionable water but i hiked for a bit with a guy who brought a water filter and when he ran out of water, apparently he would intentionally not clean out all of the water in the area just past the filter incase he was really thirsty or out of water he would break into that for that last possible sip. (I always just carried extra water, I love the stuff!!!)

Images

Since my days on Boy Scouts I’ve always kept a nine volt battery and some steel wool in separate sandwich bags. To start a fire simply put a bit of the steel wool under some kindling and touch the battery to steel wool, it starts immediately and burns hot and long. It’s never failed me even with wet wood.

Quote Originally Posted by snowhoe View Post
    This is not my idea, but I read on here some where that wood hook screws would be great for hanging stuff on when you get to the shelters or on trees to hang your water bag or semi-light stuff. They are defently going in my pack this time. They dont weigh nothing and I think I would use them.
    Ugh.. Please don't. This is yet another reason people that live and work along the AT hate hikers.

Chafing can be cured by applying neosporin to the affected area before bedtime. Chafing is as much infection as it is abrasion. Maybe more.

try it, you'll be amazed.

S

Lots of good, if not crazy, tips. Maybe the Mods could put this into book form?...Could happen...
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Kinda suck if 1000 hikers each year were screwing holes into shelters and trees, sma e for tent platforms. Try a little piece of cord.
    Never been in a shleter, but I'm kind of wondering why there wouldn;t be hooks all over. For $5.00 you could have plenty

There is no need for nails, screws, cup-hooks, eyebolts, or other hardware to set-up your tent on a platform. And if the platforms are littered with these things, you wouldn't be very happy if you brushed against them and tore your pants, or worse your tent or sleeping bag.

Next time you want to set-up your tent on a platform, try this:
    Most platforms are decked with boards, with spaces between the boards to promote drying. Cut a green twig, the size of a pencil. Take a full turn of your guy-line around the twig and while holding the line, push the pencil between the boards. Now, while still holding the guy-line so that the pencil is suspended immediately below the boards, rotate the pencil 90 degrees. While keeping tension on the guy-line to prevent the pencil from dropping, adjust the guy-line until taut. You'll never need to carry a hardware store with you again!
    Roland

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    There is no need for nails, screws, cup-hooks, eyebolts, or other hardware to set-up your tent on a platform. And if the platforms are littered with these things, you wouldn't be very happy if you brushed against them and tore your pants, or worse your tent or sleeping bag.

Next time you want to set-up your tent on a platform, try this:
    Most platforms are decked with boards, with spaces between the boards to promote drying. Cut a green twig, the size of a pencil. Take a full turn of your guy-line around the twig and while holding the line, push the pencil between the boards. Now, while still holding the guy-line so that the pencil is suspended immediately below the boards, rotate the pencil 90 degrees. While keeping tension on the guy-line to prevent the pencil from dropping, adjust the guy-line until taut. You'll never need to carry a hardware store with you again!
    !!! You can't cut a green twig!

Only dead and down.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    !!! You can't cut a green twig!

Only dead and down.

Trail maintenance?
    Roland

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneP View Post
    Chafing can be cured by applying neosporin to the affected area before bedtime. Chafing is as much infection as it is abrasion. Maybe more.

try it, you'll be amazed.

S
    I use body glide to prevent chafing. awesome stuff!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

extra-ordinary hiker Roughin' It's Avatar

mixing red, yellow, and blue powerade is about the best thing you can put in your platypus to sip on. seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Roughin' It View Post
    mixing red, yellow, and blue powerade is about the best thing you can put in your platypus to sip on. seriously.
    I've never found a red, yellow, or blue Powerade spring in the Whites.
    Roland

May have better luck farther north at the Rainbow Stream lean-to.

I haven't read the whole thread yet so my apologies if some of these tips are repeats.

1. Finding a good bear bagging tree in the dark after dinner is such a pain. Now I make it a priority to get everything set up and ready to hang my food very early while its still light so I'm not clumsily trying find a good tree in the dark. After dinner, I know my bear line is ready for me to attach my food bag.

2. Those super absorbent drying cloths are awesome. I will NEVER go backpacking without one. They are particularly valuable when the weather goes south and your tracking water/mud into your tent. It really just soaks everything up and makes keeping everything dry a piece of cake. Tents with condensation problems are not even an issue anymore. Its like a freaking water pump.

3. Fresh Fruit or veggies. Yeah I know its heavy. I've never regretted tearing into a nice juicy orange, cutting into a nice crisp cucumber, or slicing into a tomato. Theres something very satisfying about "real" food on the trail. If its a weekend 3 day trip, I am definitely going to be loading up on real food. It makes everyone so jealous in camp as they whip out all their processed dehydrated stuff. Sure, I'll have some typical backpacking food but fresh fruits and veggies make it all taste better.

4. I LOVE my Light My Fire fire steel. I don't carry a lighter anymore. I use this thing to reliably light my stove, campfire (with the help of some vaseline infused cotton balls) etc. Always works, rain or shine. No fumbling with the little thumb wheel in the cold or trying to dry it out if its wet.

5. If the rain just won't stop but you want a fire next time your in camp, save some dry twigs and sticks from your previous fire in a plastic bag or extra stuff sack. I was hiking the Benton Mackeye and it rained on and off for 5 days straight. Using this method saved me a ton of time in getting a fire started at the next camp. The extra weight isn't enough to be of concern.

6. Liquid deodorant crystal. You've seen the all natural deodorant crystals. Its like that except in liquid form and odorless. I put this on all the problem areas...and I mean ALL of them. I can go for days without a shower and not feel like I'm growing a science experiment down there. Keeping the bacteria down is key I think and this stuff seems to inhibit bacteria growth quit well....which is where lots of the bad odors come from. I know some of you more woodsy types could care less about this but for me, learning how to feel somewhat clean has always made my stays in the outdoors more enjoyable.
    There is a certain joy in exhaustion.

#6 is actually an anti perspirant, not a deodorant. great for keeping your feet dry too. This is a great one. Good thing you didn't say Right Guard, though.

S

when stealth camping I lay one of my hiking poles in the direction of the trail and the other in the direction i'm traveling. I don't always have the best memory and i've heard stories of people hiking the wrong direction in the morning.

If you wear glasses and they fog up, like when it is cool and raining, rub a cigarette on the lenses inside and out. Works just like rain-x, the water beads and rolls off.

Now that I have typed it, I am thinking you could probably just use rain-x. But I have not tried that one. The cigarette thing does work for a couple of days, though.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Your problem is solved with these items. Urinary device and backcountry bidet. Use the device to have good aim. Use the bidet to rinse the device (and self if you squeeze hard.)
    Those smell really bad after a couple of uses.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneP View Post
    I go a step further and apply the neosporin to the chafed area as soon as I notice it, which also serves as a lubricant.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24
++ New Posts ++