WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Glencliff for resupply

Hey everyone!
    Doing southern NH (Hanover to Franconia) here in a few weeks. Glencliff seems like a logical point for resupply. Are there any good options for resupply there? And are they within reasonable distance from the trail?

Images

The resupply available is a 7-Eleven on steroids. It has a deli and limited produce. Most hiker staples are available, but not necessarily in the exact form you would like, and in limited quantity. For example, tuna is available in cans, not foil packets. In other words, it is an adequate re-supply, but not great.

Additionally, this store is not in Glencliff, but in the next town over (5 or 6 miles). My recommendation would be to stay at the "Hikers Welcome" hostel, about .3 miles from the trail. It is a good place, friendly folks. They do a daily shuttle to the grocery, usually about 4:30 or 5 PM. The hostel sells some, very limited snack and food items, they also sell canister fuel.

Just hiked this section in July.

How many days did this section take you? And is there anything you can think of that I need to know about this section?

Images

My partner and I hiked incredibly slow, so my mileage/time would not be too pertinent. I will say the southern portion was incredibly muddy, like hip deep mud, stopped from sinking only when crotch encountered the mud, took both legs in the muck to extract myself. Do not trust that the trail Puncheon (logs fastened to cross members) are not just floating atop several feet of soup and will tip and dump you off. Test all before committing.

Most of the trail mileage is basically rock hopping, very slow going and treacherous when wet.

If it is raining when you are there, consider doing a slackpack for Moosilauke just north of the Hikers Welcome hostel. The northern slope is very steep and easier to navigate (especially if wet) from north to south. That said, they do charge double for the slack pack, once to take you to start the hike and again to take you to resume your hike north. I thought this was excessive.

++ New Posts ++