WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shuttle Service Btwn Grayson Highlands and Shady Valley, TN

I'm planning a 4 day hike starting or ending at Shady Valley, TN/Low Gap/Highway 421. I typically like to hike back to my truck from where I start so I'm looking for shuttle service from either Shady Valley or (possibly) Grayson Highlands. Does anybody know of any hostels on either end of this route that I could call and work out some shuttle service? I plan on doing 12 to 15 mile days so if I have to go a little farther, that's fine. I don't mind parking at trailheads but would prefer to park at a hostel. Thanks.

when?.......

Yeah, I guess that info would help. Around Indigenous People's Day: 10/6 - 10/9.

Looking at the map a little more it seems like a more appropriate way to tackle this would be to park at a hostel in Damascus, get shuttled to Grayson Highlands, hike to Low Gap and call for a (pre-arranged) shuttle pickup for a ride back to my truck. Does this sound more realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by beaudetious View Post
    Looking at the map a little more it seems like a more appropriate way to tackle this would be to park at a hostel in Damascus, get shuttled to Grayson Highlands, hike to Low Gap and call for a (pre-arranged) shuttle pickup for a ride back to my truck. Does this sound more realistic?
    you can park for free at the town library. what day/time do you want to be shuttled?

For 12-15 mile days, I like to get started 'round 9 am. So:

* 10/6 9:00 am: Damascus Library parking lot to Grayson Highlands
    * 10/9 5-ish pm: Low Gap/Hwy 421 to Damascus Library parking lot

Does it make more sense to hike from Grayson to Damascus and get another shuttle to Low Gap and walk back to Damascus? That way I wouldn't need to rely on somebody picking me up at a certain time and they wouldn't worry about me screwing the time up if I get too slow.

Hey Lone Wolf, I had a slight chainsaw accident just after my last post. But I'm pretty much good to go on this planned hike now. I'm aiming for 10/28 through 10/31. Would you still be able to give me a shuttle maybe somewhere N or Grayson Highlands so I can end up in Damascus? Somewhere 40 miles N of Damascus would work.

i can't shuttle the 28th or 29th

OK, thanks. I'll hit up the outfitter in Damascus.

++ New Posts ++