Default Trip suggestions in central FL?

Hey everyone,

I've got a week off in late December and am planning to do a 100 mile section, give or take, of the FT. Any recommendations for a section in central FL? I've done parts of Ocala, and little bits and pieces here and there, but I am looking for some extended solitude. Any can't miss sections that don't require a lot of road walking?

Thanks!

i recently followed along on trailjournals, a lady doing a through of the FT. Based on that I don't think there are any stretches even close to 100 miles that don't have some road walking. Just an impression, I could be wrong.

Anyway, good luck. I'll be following with interest and hope you find something good

I think the Ocala is around 70 miles and you could add onto either end to reach about 100. As far as scenery, I like the pines north of Salt Springs, but some of the areas from Alexander to Farles Lake have been clear cut right next to the trail and I didn't think they were too beautiful when I was there earlier this year. There is a wealth of information at http://floridahikes.com/

Check out Myakka State Park near Siesta Key. There are about 30 miles of intersecting trails there.

I hiked Myakka a number of years ago during the coldest spell of the winter that year with 20 degree temps. Didn't see another soul. I would like something like that again, but longer. I don't mind the occasional road walk, so long as it doesn't take up half of my trip.

Ocala might be the best bet, with some added miles north or south. I've had hit or miss experiences hiking in Ocala. One time I was kept up all night around the Clearwater Lake area by some group having a rendezvous in the woods and blasting music all night.

The Green Swamp looks appealing as well and may offer the possibility of connecting with other trails to make a longer hike. I'll have to look into that as its location is very convenient.

Green swamp is good in the winter. It is a swamp so during the summer rains the trail will flood. Nice flat trail. Remember to register as a hiker to stay at the camp sites. I believe you need to reserve camp spots in that stretch unless you are a thru hiker. Ocala will be busy with campers,partyiers, rainbow people, scouts and hunters in December on weekends.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

along the suwannee river, northern section where it crosses I -10 ( camp ocean pond) then joins up with Suwannee for a while and a beautiful section IMO
    introduced to backpacking on my 21st in the red river gorge, KY (2012)

2015 salkantay trek - Glamping

16'-17' amicalola--> Fontana dam

7 days solo on Huayhuash circuit!! 9/17

Keep in mind hunting season...

++ New Posts ++