WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Group Camping Options - The Trail will provide...

Good morning all!

I am the Troopmaster for a Trail Life Troop of about 35 boys down in NC (and aspiring thru-hiker if life would stop getting in the way....lol). We are heading up to Damascus for the Creeper Trail for our 3rd annual Creeper campout. We are in a bit of pinch in that there are no camping spots for 30+ boys and dads to sleep for the weekend. Looking for local advise, options, thoughts, magic... We are heading up the weekend of September 15th-17th.

Thank you all!

Brian
    The Chief

That's way too big a group if your planning to camp along the creeper trail. You need to break the groups up into no more then 10 persons each and spread them out. Or you need to find a commercial or Forest Service campground which can hold a group that big, which would be the best thing to do.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Agree that it will be challenging. Issue that I'm running into is that the campgrounds in that area are all booked. Hoping that there is a local who knows a field, clearing, etc that can hold us for a couple nights. I know there are free camping spots along the highways, but not familiar enough with the area to know if they are big enough.

With 35+ kids, you need at least 10 or more adults to keep them under control so now your up to nearly 50 people. 50 people need a lot of room. That's a lot of poop in the morning. "Free" camping along highways might be okay for an individual or a very small group, but you have a circus.

I suspect your only option is to reschedule for a time when you can get reservations for a campground (do your planning well in advance to prevent this from happening again).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Well aware of the shortcoming in planning.....

Is there anyone on this board who might be local that would have some insight?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Good morning all!

I am the Troopmaster for a Trail Life Troop of about 35 boys down in NC (and aspiring thru-hiker if life would stop getting in the way....lol). We are heading up to Damascus for the Creeper Trail for our 3rd annual Creeper campout. We are in a bit of pinch in that there are no camping spots for 30+ boys and dads to sleep for the weekend. Looking for local advise, options, thoughts, magic... We are heading up the weekend of September 15th-17th.

Thank you all!

Brian
    The Chief
    Bear Tree campground, 7 miles out of Damascus has group sites that can accomodate you

call the damascus town hall. they allow scout groups to camp on the river next to the old mill

++ New Posts ++