WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    well one aspect that is poorly written, points to my original questions....
    who determines what is "bear resistant" enough?
    which canisters?
    does Ursack count?
    etc...
    The way it's written, I could argue that putting food only in an odor barrier bag in my tent would be good enough. It's bear resistant in that it's blocking the smell..... but I'm sure that's not the 'intent'
    The ATC article says "approved bear resistant storage container", and it gives a local USFS phone number to call for more information if you are confused about what would be an "approved" container. If you don't want to make a phone call, you can spend about two minutes searching on the internet and find the actual order on the Chattahoochee National Forest website. Or you could tell the ranger, as he writes you a ticket, "I thought an odor bag was good enough".
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 08-07-2017 at 08:54.

Two links would be very helpful. The IGBC approved list and the California approved list. Products on either list are acceptable.
    Problem solved.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Weight differential BV500 vs. hanging a bag: approximately 2 pounds. Food capacity of the BV500 is fixed. Hanging is variable.
    The hanging method is much lighter, especially after the bear has eaten all your food.

In the California National Parks no method of hanging will keep the bears out of your food. It's only a matter of time before the bears in the east figure it out, too. Canisters keep the bears safe from your food.

I pretty much carry my Bearikade on every trip nowadays. The thruhikers in Washington made fun of me, but that's what you'd expect from a bunch of know-nothing rookies.

The following link further highlights the disparity of thinking within the National Park and Forest Service. If the IGBC list works in Denali, why not in the rest of the USA?
    https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/brfc.htm
    Suggestion:
    Call the phone number in the ATC announcement. Ask this: "May I use a bear resistant food storage container listed on the IGBC June 2017 list?"
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    The ATC article says "approved bear resistant storage container", and it gives a local USFS phone number to call for more information if you are confused about what would be an "approved" container. If you don't want to make a phone call, you can spend about two minutes searching on the internet and find the actual order on the Chattahoochee National Forest website. Or you could tell the ranger, as he writes you a ticket, "I thought an odor bag was good enough".
    So I checked out the Chattahoochee National Forest website. Found a link to the original order.
    The order regarding approved containers simply states
    must be commercially made; constructed of solid, non-pliable material manufactured for the specific purpose of resisting entry by bears
    . Doesn't point to any list of approved canisters.

I'm sure anyone making a good faith attempt at following the regulations wouldn't be getting a ticket.
    Perhaps the only thing that might cause some issues would be the use of a Ursack. The IGBC website indicates that certain Ursacks now have IGBC certification, but because it's not made of "solid" material would not meed Chattahoochee National Forest regulations.

On a side note, I find it interesting that the Beridkade canisters are NOT IGBC certified, but many places out west (Yosemite as an example) approve them for use.

And the variations grow. Hike where the only rule is self reliance.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    So I checked out the Chattahoochee National Forest website. Found a link to the original order.
    The order regarding approved containers simply states . Doesn't point to any list of approved canisters.

I'm sure anyone making a good faith attempt at following the regulations wouldn't be getting a ticket.
    Perhaps the only thing that might cause some issues would be the use of a Ursack. The IGBC website indicates that certain Ursacks now have IGBC certification, but because it's not made of "solid" material would not meed Chattahoochee National Forest regulations.

On a side note, I find it interesting that the Beridkade canisters are NOT IGBC certified, but many places out west (Yosemite as an example) approve them for use.
    It states any commercial, hard container, made and sold to redist bears is acceptable. What else you want?

No need for igbc cert where theres no grizzlys.....

As been said before, YOU must scare off bears trying to get your food. No container is foolproof. They resist bear play for only 1 hr in testing by igbc gor instance. Not all night, not a lifetime of use.

And ursack was not tied to tree when tested by igbc, its only way of deployment....why? Witness the CT hiker whisr bottom was ripped out of his 6 weeks ago when tied to tree....by a black bear.

so a person has to call to find out.... yep, poorly written.

I would not be a bit surprised to learn that the Feds don't know that the Ursacks are approved by IGBC while the solid body Bearikades are not.
    You could always carry a 50 cal. ammo can.
    Wayne

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You could always carry a 50 cal. ammo can.
    An ammo can wouldn't be allowed based on the Chattahoochee National Forest rules quoted above...
    manufactured for the specific purpose of resisting entry by bears

ha ha...yeah. It doesn't have to be good at it, just manufactured for that purpose. too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    ha ha...yeah. It doesn't have to be good at it, just manufactured for that purpose. too funny!
    Your tax dollars in action.
    Wayne

I wonder what would happen to the Blood Mtn restrictions if the Forest Service and Vogel State park installed bear boxes? Bears can get a feast every night in Vogel State Park, Memorial Day through Labor Day. There is/was a private campground on GA 180 near Brasstown Bald that has/had poorly managed dumpsters that were essentially feeding bears. I wasn't surprised when we ran into a ridge runner at Chattahoochee Gap who wanted to help us make sure we knew how to hang our food because of a couple of problem bears.

As much as I hear about bears in North Georgia, it seems that we'd better get a handle on how humans are feeding the bears or they will be like 250 pound squirrels with sharing issues. We saw this all over when we traveled out west this summer "a fed bear is a dead bear".

In California parks, you can't even leave a cooler in your car because the bears have learned to identify a cooler as a source of food. The bear will break into your car and then the ranger will write you a ticket.

It's not rocket science. Yellowstone, Glacier and all of the parks in the Canadian Rockies have a handle on people and bears without resorting to canisters except in a few very remote areas where boxes or poles aren't provided.
    Please excuse the tread drift.
    50 caliber ammo cans are specifically modified in Montana for use around bears and would therefore qualify as built for the purpose.
    Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++