WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default overnight recommendation NoVa/DC

Hey guys,
    Ive been overseas for three years but have have a business trip in Northern Virginia in late Sept/ early Oct. I have one weekend where I think I can squeeze an overnighter on the trail. Can someone recommend a leg? Considerations are how long of a drive to the trailhead and is parking reasonably safe. Probably an out and back turn around (then can adjust distance as desired), but may consider a good loop if you know of one. Im career military and strong hiker.

Thanks in advance for your input!
    Semper Fi
    Uncle Walkie
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?!

I'd recommend that top section of SNP. Start or end at Rt. 522... There's a small hostel/BB and there called Mountain Home. They can probably help with a shuttle and parking or try Sharon's Shuttles. You could target another area of the park. If you want a room or campsite in the park, you better start trying to book it now.

Default overnight recommendation NoVa/DC

Perfect time of year for Shenandoah hiking. Your vehicle will be safe in the park, there are lots of side trails to explore and great waterfalls.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

If not SNP (which is superb that time of year) check out the trail of any point between Manassas Gap and Harpers Ferry. Close by and lovely

Thanks guys.

Go to Old Rag imo. Perfect from DC for a strong Day Hike with good views.

So I did about 34 miles, two nights out. Parked at Thornton Gap and hiked to Swift Run, then hitched back to car. Had a great time, first time back in the mtns in 3.5 years. Since I was on a weekend between business conferences stateside I didnt have my gear (except trust Jetboil). So grabbed a tarp and a wool blanket with my travel daypack and went with it. Excellent investment of time.

++ New Posts ++