WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Suzzz, The AT was the first long trail I was interested in when I was 8 years old. Told my parents I was going to hike it one day. I got lots of short section hikes in and quite a few LASHes in, but no Thru Hike. I have two PCT thru-hikes and one CDT thru along with a lot of short trails. Unfortunately my parents both died before I got back to hiking. Now I am just trying to find a break in business so I can get away for 6 months to do my AT Thru. I know the trail will always be there, but she's starting to call my name again.
    Blackheart

I joined 03/22/09 and will be on the approach trail at Amicalola on 05/04/18. I have learned so much from this site that I have used to hike locally in Missouri on the Ozark Trail. My family also builds trail, and maintains an adopted section of the OT. I have had the bug to hike the AT for a long time, but I have been raising a family, so I section hiked, close to home. Several members of my family have spent a week with the Konarock crew working on the AT, my oldest daughter Sara worked a rock drill building stairs. She got the bug from me I guess, and she will be at the approach trail on May 4th too. I got a chance to hike a piece of the trail in Maryland a couple of years ago, nice little adventure. Anyway, a big thank you to all who shared their knowledge and advice through these forums that I have read over the years, I learned a lot of valuable information here and recommend it to folks I run into that are just getting in to hiking and backpacking.
    ClayTurner

This is the way of peace: overcome evil with good, falsehood with truth, hatred with love. Peace Pilgrim

I only did 7 days a couple weeks ago and had to just go for an overnight on the foothills trail thursday and friday. I am still itching to get back out.

Scratch that itch!

Best itch you'll ever scratch!

Images

If you want to add another layer to it you can get into trail maintaining. You will not be able to look at steps or water bars the same way again.

But it seems as you have enough on your plate for now.

I went over 1000 miles this year, having gotten to Harpers Ferry. I started doing sections in 1998, interrupted by a few crew weeks. Although my first long hike was the Smokies section in 1976. Is there a record for the longest time to section the trail?

Rainman, I am watching your progress and am admittedly a little jealous.

Trail maintenance on the AT would be a little complicated for me as I live in Canada but it's a great way to give back and I'd definitely like to get involved in my area once my kids are groan up.

Images

Maine is right next door, eh?

Keep in shape for when the nest is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzz View Post
    Trail maintenance on the AT would be a little complicated for me as I live in Canada but it's a great way to give back and I'd definitely like to get involved in my area once my kids are groan up.
    the iat goes through new brunswick

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    the iat goes through new brunswick
    Yes it does but it's in the north west of the province and I live in the south east... about six hours away. And there are plenty of cool trails around my neck of the woods where I can volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzz View Post
    Yes it does but it's in the north west of the province and I live in the south east... about six hours away. And there are plenty of cool trails around my neck of the woods where I can volunteer.
    do it you will not regret it find a trail that needs help and volunteer. its a great way give back...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++