WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trail withdrawal

It's been one week since I got back from my FIRST section hike of the AT. Never before in my life had I been so tired, so sore, and so disgustingly dirty as I have been on this trail, so much that on my last day I couldn't wait to get out. All I wanted was to stop walking and take a shower, yet now I miss it and can't wait to go back.

It's true what they say, the trail really is addictive!

Images

I'll be hitting the trail on Wednesday or Thursday for several days, I'll say hello for you.

Journal Entries

Haha! Aaaah, you've discovered how wonderful civilization can be: the incredible luxury of warm abundant water streaming over your body cleaning away the sticky stinky funk. You emerge from a big fluffy towel and put on dry fresh-smelling clothes. After a hot meal prepared with the assistance of electric appliances, you lie down and melt into your bed.

Next morning you flex and feel a newly hardened muscle in your thigh. Oh wow, I'm strong! And in that moment, you can hear the trail calling, feel the trail pulling you back. The climbs, bugs, aches - all get brushed aside. Small things. Somehow the physical act of walking through the woods fills your soul, and you must have more!

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Haha! Aaaah, you've discovered how wonderful civilization can be: the incredible luxury of warm abundant water streaming over your body cleaning away the sticky stinky funk. You emerge from a big fluffy towel and put on dry fresh-smelling clothes. After a hot meal prepared with the assistance of electric appliances, you lie down and melt into your bed.

Next morning you flex and feel a newly hardened muscle in your thigh. Oh wow, I'm strong! And in that moment, you can hear the trail calling, feel the trail pulling you back. The climbs, bugs, aches - all get brushed aside. Small things. Somehow the physical act of walking through the woods fills your soul, and you must have more!
    Beautifully put!

Illabelle hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. "Somehow the physical act of walking through the woods fills your soul, and you must have more!".

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzz View Post
    It's been one week since I got back from my FIRST section hike of the AT. Never before in my life had I been so tired, so sore, and so disgustingly dirty as I have been on this trail, so much that on my last day I couldn't wait to get out. All I wanted was to stop walking and take a shower, yet now I miss it and can't wait to go back.

For me, the more I go out and the longer I stay out the easier it is for me to stay out without ever thinking about returning to civilization. In that case the real "wilderness" becomes town life and civilization while my home becomes the woods. When I do get wiped out or too tired or sore I just hunker in my tent for a zero day and knit up and recuperate.

Plus, getting disgustingly dirty is easily solved---go swimming in the closest creek you can find. Even if the creek is too small you can use your cook pot as a shower head. In the summer I thoroughly bathe using bronners soap (rinse away from creek) and in the winter hiker funk can be bad too so I take special effort to thoroughly wash my face and scalp and hair (with bronners).

You'd be surprised how a good creek bath can renew the spirit and give you renewed motivation to keep hiking and camping---and take away the bug-out desire to bail into a town or go home.

Images

Tell me about it! I first set foot on the AT just over 14 years ago, while taking my daughter to see if she really wanted to do a long-distance hike on it. She did her thru-hike. But me? I was addicted too! Loved it! Couldn't wait to go back, and so I did, and have, for 14 years. Will be in Maine the first half of September to finish off that state. In October, I'll finish the entire AT.

Am already "worried" about what I'll do next! LOL
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Tell me about it! I first set foot on the AT just over 14 years ago, while taking my daughter to see if she really wanted to do a long-distance hike on it. She did her thru-hike. But me? I was addicted too! Loved it! Couldn't wait to go back, and so I did, and have, for 14 years. Will be in Maine the first half of September to finish off that state. In October, I'll finish the entire AT.

Am already "worried" about what I'll do next! LOL
    Go west young man. Go west.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Beautifully put!
    AMEN!!!!

I was on trail (AT) from July 7 - July 24 (New Jersey to Cheshire, MA), and I have been having major trail withdrawal since I got off! (Difficult to get into life at home!)

my feelings exactly after every section hike

I did a 491 mile section hike in Virginia from May 3 to June 16 this year. As I got closer to Harper's Ferry, I promised myself that was it - no more! The last night at the Teahorse Hostel in Harper's Ferry, I started planning my return. I'm heading back September 12 for 250 more miles.

A fellow hiker one night at a shelter during my LASH asked me what was at home. I couldn't immediately answer and then finally said, "My house." I should have stayed on the trail.

Talk about screwed up. I'm home right now and can't wait to get back on the trail.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Joined ten years ago but first section last week? Confusing.

Glad to see I'm not alone!

Images

Yep. The hardest part of being a section hiker is waiting to start your next section.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    So one can only join this site if able to hike the AT right away? I'm a single mom, it's not always easy to coordinate working and parenting responsibilities with time off and babysitting. Also one of my kids has health issues which means I can't always get away when I want to. I've been wanting to do this for a long time but couldn't make it happen before this summer, should I have unjoined until I was able to???

Journal Entries

So one can only join this site if able to hike the AT right away? I'm a single mom, it's not always easy to coordinate working and parenting responsibilities with time off and babysitting. Also one of my kids has health issues which means I can't always get away when I want to. I've been wanting to do this for a long time but couldn't make it happen before this summer, should I have unjoined until I was able to???
    Nope Suzzz you stay right where you are. You can learn, suggest and talk all you care to. I know of a few people who are members and have never set foot on the trail. You just got your first taste of the trail. You're hooked and got to stay.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Nope Suzzz you stay right where you are. You can learn, suggest and talk all you care to. I know of a few people who are members and have never set foot on the trail. You just got your first taste of the trail. You're hooked and got to stay.
    Thanks BuckeyeBill. You're so right, I am hooked! I also hike locally but the AT has been a long time dream and I was very excited to finally set foot on it this summer. And now I want to go back!

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    Same....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats I was confused also.....join the off trail depression forum.....welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the trail can represent is what makes it desirable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++