WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal?

Default Oatmeal?

I've been add peanut powder, raisins, oat bran, coconut shreds, and chia seeds with cinnamon.

Anybody think I could just straight up live in this stuff? It never seems to spoil and it's so easy!!

Images

Try it for next 7-10 days and see how you feel. Something Ventured Something Gained :-)

I ate it every morning for 6 months, mostly cinnamon, brown sugar, raisins and some Nido.

Not a big fan of Oatmeal or other forms of breakfast cerials which resemble wall paper paste. But if you have to eat it, then doctoring it up with extras does make it more palatable.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by MelatoninPenguin View Post
    I've been add peanut powder, raisins, oat bran, coconut shreds, and chia seeds with cinnamon.

Anybody think I could just straight up live in this stuff? It never seems to spoil and it's so easy!!
    You make It sound good. And I don't usually cook breakfast on trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great for cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    Great for cholesterol.
    Even better with raspberries.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I would suggest trying it on trail first to see if you still find it papatable. Oatmeal is staple in my diet, yet I can't get myself to eat it on multiday hikes.*

*Despite this I can still eat granola and museli while hiking...go figure.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Stick it all into a black pot, throw in a magic spell or two, maybe a newt, and you good to go

Garlic
    Images

Muesli has been my dietary staple, both on trail and at home, for many decades. Rolled oats are parboiled in processing so there's no need for further cooking. Add nuts and dried fruit, easy to do at any grocery in any trail town. I don't know what I'll do if I ever get tired of eating it. I used to add powdered milk, until a lactose-intolerant friend advised me it works well with plain water. That made town stops even easier, since it's often more difficult to find the powdered milk.

The weird thing is, I cannot stand cooked oats. It's a completely non-palatable dish to me, no matter what's in it.

Three or four cups of nut-rich muesli a day forms a good base, with whole-grain protein, more protein and fat from nuts, and quick sugar from the dried fruit (usually raisins). That's probably nearly a cup of oats, a lot of fiber which some people find hard to digest in a reasonable manner. It may require some experimentation to find your threshold of tolerance.

I did try a long resupply through the Sierra Nevada on the PCT with nothing but muesli and a couple jars of peanut butter for more fat. That was in the early days of stoveless hiking for me. I made it okay, but I haven't done that since. I needed a little more variety. I now carry cheese and tortillas, cookies and crackers, a little fresh veg and fruit, extra mixed nuts.

(By comparison, I met a hiker who attempted the JMT on nothing but Little Debbie brownies. He didn't make it. I think muesli is a better idea for a mono-diet.)

Images

There is a reason why I chose the handle 'SteelCut' ... as steel-cut oats is my breakfast choice at home. But, impractical on the trail where I do rolled oats w/ water and nuts/dried fruit as suggested by garlic08.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

They are making an instant steel cut oatmeal now. I bought some but have not tried it yet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    They are making an instant steel cut oatmeal now. I bought some but have not tried it yet.
    Thanks. I will need to look into that.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Leonidas

I do protein powder, rolled oats, and a fruit/veggie powder for 2 meals a day on 8-10 day hikes. Eat it everyday at home for 2 meals but add in 2 Tbsp of peanut butter.

Add water and go, if I know camp will be water-less, I will make one and drink it at the source and mix the next mornings as well.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I do protein powder, rolled oats, and a fruit/veggie powder for 2 meals a day on 8-10 day hikes. Eat it everyday at home for 2 meals but add in 2 Tbsp of peanut butter.

Add water and go, if I know camp will be water-less, I will make one and drink it at the source and mix the next mornings as well.
    I ate instant oat meal every morning, for the first three months, during my thru. When the weather got warm I switched to a dry cereal with powdered milk. Easy to make and a lot of verity.
    Grampie-N->2001

Like others I have been eating oatmeal on backpacking trips since the beginning and it never gets old (for me). Advantages---
    ** It can be eaten hot or cold, cooked or raw (when soaked in cold water)
    ** Many things can be added to cooked oats for taste and variety---powdered coconut milk, (and nido of course), honey, salt, cream cheese and/or butter, nuts, peanut butter or almond butter etc, raisins, AND wild edibles like chickweed, lambs quarters or mustard greens, cheese---whatever.

** It is the universal backpacking food because it can be purchased at nearly any store.
    ** Oatmeal is a great appetite tester---If you're not hungry for oats you're just not hungry.

** It works great in the summer for dinner as you can cook it up with varied ingredients and let it cool so you don't have to eat a hot meal during a heatwave.

Cooked oatmeal was problematic for me on the trail. Hard to get the texture right. Took a lot of fuel. When it cooled, it set up like glue. Pot hart to clean. Then I used this trick to solve all these problems. Don't use instant oatmeal packages. Plain oatmeal with extras as in th OP (but use maple syrup or sugar, if not already suggesyed). Then add boiling water until you get the texture you like. The texture is quite different than when fully cooked, bit I like it and it's not too gooey. Plus it cleans up very easily.

thanks. I was wondering lately about just this twist...
    As an oatmeal eater at home, I've gone over time from steel cut, to rolled (not quick), to instant just out of time and laziness.....it's pre- flavored and fast....
    but it is a sticky mess. and I really don't like making it or eating it in the paper pouch.
    I thought I might start experimenting with "not cooking" old fashioned, in place of instant

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Cooked oatmeal was problematic for me on the trail. Hard to get the texture right. Took a lot of fuel. When it cooled, it set up like glue. Pot hart to clean. Then I used this trick to solve all these problems. Don't use instant oatmeal packages. Plain oatmeal with extras as in th OP (but use maple syrup or sugar, if not already suggesyed). Then add boiling water until you get the texture you like. The texture is quite different than when fully cooked, bit I like it and it's not too gooey. Plus it cleans up very easily.
    Exactly this.

I've never really gotten sick & tired of oatmeal, although I came very close when I thought that instant oatmeal was the only practical thing for hiking. As others have said, it can become a disgusting, gluey mess good only for chinking a log cabin.

But I finally figured out that I can make my own "instant" oatmeal that tastes the way I want it to taste, and has the texture that I like. I just boil water, and pour it slowly into a bowl of regular rolled oats. I pour just enough to see the water start to pool over the oats -- but it's really kind of a goldilocks thing that depends on your particular tastes. I typically add a handfull of chopped pecans and raisins. Perfect breakfast fuel.

I make it this way at home, too.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

On section hikes when I got tired of the Lipton sides I started eating it for dinner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++