WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Oatmeal?

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Oatmeal cold-soaks well. Double or triple the water, and when you stop for second breakfast, you can drink it like a smoothie.
    I used to do this years ago, not for hiking-- everyday , but because I didn't seem to tolerate eating early in the morning (something I apparently have gotten over). It worked very well, go figure that I couldn't eat it but could drink it.
    Might work for folks who have trouble eating early in the morning but need the nutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I do protein powder, rolled oats, and a fruit/veggie powder for 2 meals a day on 8-10 day hikes. Eat it everyday at home for 2 meals but add in 2 Tbsp of peanut butter.

Add water and go, if I know camp will be water-less, I will make one and drink it at the source and mix the next mornings as well.
    Hey JC! Which Way from Mount Olive here. We use a Barley max and carrot powder, but was curious were you get a fruit powder, and what kind/brand? Thanks and RTR

I do protein powder, rolled oats, and a fruit/veggie powder for 2 meals a day on 8-10 day hikes. Eat it everyday at home for 2 meals but add in 2 Tbsp of peanut butter.

Add water and go, if I know camp will be water-less, I will make one and drink it at the source and mix the next mornings as well.
    Hey JC! Which Way from Mount Olive here. We use a Barley max and carrot powder, but was curious were you get a fruit powder, and what kind/brand? Thanks and RTR

My wife came up with a great concoction. She puts regular oats, PB2 powder, mini chocolate chips, honey crystals, cinnamon,, ground flax seed, chia seed and pecans in a zip lock freezer bag. We add hot water to the bag in a home-made cozy, let it sit for 5-10 minutes and enjoy! It can be kind of thick, so you may adjust the amount of water you use, you can leave out the flax seed, or add raisins and walnuts. When we're through, there is no mess to clean up, just pack out the freezer bag to discard in town. Oat Power!

Oatmeal with peanut butter and jelly mixed in.

Every hiker box I've ever seen is full of oatmeal. If you can live on it you'd eat for free. But there's a reason everybody throws it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Every hiker box I've ever seen is full of oatmeal. If you can live on it you'd eat for free. But there's a reason everybody throws it away.
    Don't I wish we had found more on our section hikes ... I will note that often there isn't enough sugar in the hiker box oatmeal I've eaten.

On the other hand, I've added pop tarts to hiker boxes and eaten some I've found there (donated more than I've taken). Sometimes I've felt like pop tarts, sometimes I haven't.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way View Post
    Better Body Foods - Livfit Superfood blend with protein. We get it at Costco, its actually a fruit and veggie blend.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Powered peanut butter in oatmeal sounds good. Years ago, I had a recipe for a peanut butter flour (which might be the same thing?) based cereal. It was not a backpacker recipe, but was very good. Super high in protein.

Better Body Foods - Livfit Superfood blend with protein. We get it at Costco, its actually a fruit and veggie blend.
    Thanks for the pointer.

Brown sugar cinnamon oatmeal was a staple on my thru...and I was no cool so I'd just toss half packet in my mouth and then take a big swig of water..man I still eat it that way off the trail hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Oatmeal with peanut butter and jelly mixed in.
    Yes! You beat me to this comment, but its great and healthy-easy to make as well.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Ya and I love it too. Plus it now reminds me of hike.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++