WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cheap and light tree straps?

I got a thermarest double size hammock. With the girlfriend I we weight combined 400. What's a good source for cheap tree straps and is also light? Can I make my own whoopie slings out of Lawson ironwire?

Iron wire will be hard on the trees, I would look at garage sales or CL for tie down straps or webbing straps that could be modified.

ENOS straps are 30 bucks, REI just had a sale on hammocks, but straps remained at list price.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Something as thin as Lawson ironwire would be illegal in places like GSMNP where wide "tree saver" straps are required.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Iron wire will be hard on the trees...
    Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Something as thin as Lawson ironwire would be illegal in places like GSMNP where wide "tree saver" straps are required.
    Whoopie slings do not attach to the trees. They are only for use between the hammock and tree. If you want a cheap light strap look over on Dutch's site https://dutchwaregear.com/hammock-ge...s-huggers.html. The dyneema/polypro huggers are what you seek to use with a whoopie sling.

Harbor Freight has a two pack of lashing straps for under $5. Cut the buckles off and use with a marlin spike knot to secure the hammock.

Call Dutch and have hime set you up. It's much better for the trees to do this correctly. Several states forbid hammocks because of the damage folks have done to the trees. Always use tree-huggers to attach your hammock to trees. Dutch even sells a kevlar version.

Check with Dutch on the Whoopie strings as well. Great Quality at a fair price. Everyone wins including the trees. Also check his New Beetle Buckle Suspension for the weight of two people. But be careful, it's easy to get hooked on his site and not able to leave without Titanium Bling!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I use 2" nylon strap cut to length with a bowline tied on the ends. IIRC Amazon sells a 30ft length (More than enough for 2 or even 3 or 4 straps) for around 10 bucks.

SusanLeo

Quote Originally Posted by MelatoninPenguin View Post
    I got a thermarest double size hammock. With the girlfriend I we weight combined 400. What's a good source for cheap tree straps and is also light? Can I make my own whoopie slings out of Lawson ironwire?
    "Paradise Hammock Tree straps" is recommended. I have used it for 1 year ago with my wife.
    This is a budget product. I think you will like it.
    https://enjoythewild.com/best-hammock-straps/#tab-con-4

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    I use 2" nylon strap cut to length with a bowline tied on the ends. IIRC Amazon sells a 30ft length (More than enough for 2 or even 3 or 4 straps) for around 10 bucks.
    I don't recommend nylon, as nylon stretches. Use some kind of polyester strap which doesn't stretch.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Default Cheap and light tree straps?

Hummingbird straps aren't the cheapest at $30, but they are only 2.3oz. no webbing loops though
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    Several states forbid hammocks because of the damage folks have done to the trees.
    Really? I've heard some parks in ? Florida ? require 2" tree straps but I haven't heard of places forbidding the use of hammocks altogether.

Here you'll get few advice about Best Hommock straps
    Creative Blogger
    Crish Moris

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    Really? I've heard some parks in ? Florida ? require 2" tree straps but I haven't heard of places forbidding the use of hammocks altogether.
    Last time I checked they are forbidden on the Wonderland trail in Washington state due to tree damage. Not using tree straps will ruin it for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    Last time I checked they are forbidden on the Wonderland trail in Washington state due to tree damage. Not using tree straps will ruin it for everyone.
    You may be right, but I have never seen that rule on the Wonderland. I used a hammock a few years ago to hike the west side of the Wonderland (Mowich Lake to Longmire) and no Ranger said anything. The problem with hammocks in Western Washington is that the trees are so large that normal straps won't work. One has to have extra long straps.

Also, on the Wonderland, one has to stay in the designated camp sites. Many of those camp sites don't have trees suitable for hammocks.

If hammocks are illegal for the Wonderland, it is probably because hammock users have used them outside of the designated camp sites, not because they have damaged the trees.

I often use my hammock in Olympic National Park where the trees are similar.
    Shutterbug

This is an interesting topic that I had read a bunch about prior to doing my thru hike (I ended up using a tent on my hike). Doing a bit of googling it says that hanging in CT state parks is prohibited. Not because of damage to the trees but because of damage to the hanger. They inspect all trees at campgrounds for potential problems and camping is only in designated spots precluding hammock hangs. I'm sure there are more states that have regulations about it. I looked up wonderland trail again and there are still many threads with folks saying they were told by the rangers there that hammocks were prohibited. There is a pretty lengthy thread on the hammock forums website about regulations. It sounds like many parks have their own regulations that may not be connected to any state or federal regulation.

ENO Helios straps are light (4 oz.), completely adjustable, strong and have elements of the Whoopie Sling system built in. For only $35 they are a steal, in my opinion. (But let's face it, cheap for the company CEO is completely different than cheap for the same company's maintenance worker.)
    Last edited by Knee Jerk; 01-12-2018 at 14:24.

Hummingbird hammock straps, 2.3 oz., 30 bones

Quote Originally Posted by MelatoninPenguin View Post
    This is all I use with a Becket Hitch. I am using those yellow soft shackles too.

Myerstech 15' Dyneema Straps

IMG_2798.JPG

This https://www.rei.com/product/737298/b...ubular-webbing
    Get 10-15 feet per end, learn a couple of easy knots, and you are all set.
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 01-12-2018 at 20:52.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++