Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Pack Weight

  1. #1
    Registered User wolfywolfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-02-2017
    Location
    middle of nowhere, North Carolina
    Age
    54
    Posts
    60
    Images
    2

    Default Pack Weight

    I am curious how much weight everyone else is carrying. For example my backpack total weight has ranged from 15lbs to 30lbs and I find below 20 most comfortable. Just wondering If I am average or not.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-01-2017
    Location
    Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
    Age
    60
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Total weight with food/water and everything else included apart from a gas canister and hiking poles, is 19 pounds and some change. I plan on departing in March and carting warm clothes. While others have the luxury of dropping their weight significantly by sending stuff home, my weight will remain pretty much stable the entire time.

  3. #3

    Default

    For 3 season trips, which are all I do, my base weight is around 13lbs. Add in 6 days of food, fuel and two liters of water and I am up to around 25lbs. So anywhere in between those two is normal for me. The start of the trip is obviously always the heaviest. I am often carrying more water because I have two dogs and on longer trips I have to carry a little of their food although they carry most of it.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-21-2015
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    42

    Default

    For a three day weekend with a liter of water I'm usually around 19 pounds. I just got back from 5 days in Colorado where I had to carry a bear canister and I was right at 30 starting out with that 1 liter.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-21-2014
    Location
    Bar Harbor, Maine
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Once my total weight drops below 20 lbs I can start to cruise. I would guess you are average.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copro View Post
    For a three day weekend with a liter of water I'm usually around 19 pounds. I just got back from 5 days in Colorado where I had to carry a bear canister and I was right at 30 starting out with that 1 liter.
    Where exactly in Colorado were you required to carry a bear canister? Thanks.
    Wayne


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Where exactly in Colorado were you required to carry a bear canister? Thanks.
    Wayne


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Off the top of my head, I know of two places canisters are required: Rocky Mountain National Park, and the 4 pass loop trail near Aspen.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Registered User hikermiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-24-2007
    Location
    Danbury, CT
    Age
    73
    Posts
    108

    Default

    My base weight varies from 7 pounds (absolute minimal summer weight) to 24 pounds (winter weight).

  9. #9
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
    Off the top of my head, I know of two places canisters are required: Rocky Mountain National Park, and the 4 pass loop trail near Aspen.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Off the top of my head, Rocky Mountain National Park.
    I've read the forest service bulletin for the 4 pass loop. They do not exclude the Ursack.
    Perhaps copra can elaborate on their trip.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-14-2017
    Location
    Pasadena, Maryland
    Age
    47
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Caveat before I state my weight: my last couple of trips I've had my two daughters with me, the younger of which is only 50 lbs herself, so I won't let her carry more than 10 including her own water.
    So for their tent, plus my hammock and sleep system along with backup water (I'm still old school and insist on having a minimum of 1L per person as a backup), my pack on our last 2 outings came in right at 56-60lbs.

    So I consider 30 a lightweight setup. YMMV.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Off the top of my head, Rocky Mountain National Park.
    I've read the forest service bulletin for the 4 pass loop. They do not exclude the Ursack.
    Perhaps copra can elaborate on their trip.
    Wayne
    Ah, didn't know you were looking for canister vs ursack differentials. Some people do prefer canisters over the ursack even if it is an option. (I am not one of them, love me some ursack action).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
    Ah, didn't know you were looking for canister vs ursack differentials. Some people do prefer canisters over the ursack even if it is an option. (I am not one of them, love me some ursack action).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    copro in the original post led me to believe that the bear CANISTER was required for a 5 day trip.
    I don't go looking for this information very often. I looked a couple months ago and came to the conclusion that RMNP was the only place in Colorado where canisters were REQUIRED. Probably descended from California Training and rules.
    Things change and maybe I'm behind the times.
    Wayne


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-21-2015
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Where exactly in Colorado were you required to carry a bear canister? Thanks.
    Wayne


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was doing the 4 Pass Loop, and just some extra hanging out in Maroon Bells Wilderness. And I think you can get away with an Ursack there but after reading WAY TOO MANY articles and forum posts about the Ursack I just decided to go with the BV450 to have a sure thing. I had never been to Colorado before and I had no idea what campsites would be like - if there were good trees for hanging, etc. Plus the Ursack didn't protect from my main concern - small nibbly rodents - of which I saw plenty during my trip.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2009
    Location
    Spring Lake, MI
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Skin out (meaning everything I carry and wear - yes, I get on the scale naked and then weight myself after I am ready to hike) = 25 pounds. ...

    That includes water for one day (2L) and food for four days (about 10 pounds). I carry a tent, and I am not sure how to get my weight down anymore (sleeping bag = 2#1 ounce plus, I have a 4 ounce silk liner. Tent is a Rainbow Tarptent.)

  15. #15
    Registered User BuckeyeBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-18-2012
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,445
    Journal Entries
    6

    Default

    I personally prefer the Ursack for its weight (13oz) and its ease of packing. For another 10.8 oz you can add their aluminum liner. I often wonder if a piece of titanium would be lighter than their aluminum liner? Oh well I have other points to ponder.
    Blackheart

  16. #16
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copro View Post
    I was doing the 4 Pass Loop, and just some extra hanging out in Maroon Bells Wilderness. And I think you can get away with an Ursack there but after reading WAY TOO MANY articles and forum posts about the Ursack I just decided to go with the BV450 to have a sure thing. I had never been to Colorado before and I had no idea what campsites would be like - if there were good trees for hanging, etc. Plus the Ursack didn't protect from my main concern - small nibbly rodents - of which I saw plenty during my trip.
    Thank you! That information is most helpful.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  17. #17

    Default

    My ideal weight is around 20 lbs. Sometimes it gets bigger, but I say stop to myself and trow out all optional/dispensable stuff. The less weight you carry the more you will enjoy your trip.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-18-2017
    Location
    Berlin, WI
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Just finished my thru-hike of the AT.
    Didn't research gear, so my stuff was fairly bulky compared to most.
    I'm 5'2'' and weigh 110 lbs, my pack with food and water weighed 35-40 lbs.
    Ideally you want your base weight to be around 10 lbs (tent, sleeping bag, pack)
    But, if your determined to do it, you will no matter whats on your back.
    Lighter pack just makes for easier cruising.

  19. #19
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jensaito View Post
    ... The less weight you carry the more you will enjoy your trip.
    Not if you don't love the place where you are hiking.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KasseyB View Post
    Just finished my thru-hike of the AT.
    Didn't research gear, so my stuff was fairly bulky compared to most.
    I'm 5'2'' and weigh 110 lbs, my pack with food and water weighed 35-40 lbs.
    Ideally you want your base weight to be around 10 lbs (tent, sleeping bag, pack)
    But, if your determined to do it, you will no matter whats on your back.
    Lighter pack just makes for easier cruising.
    I have heard you should aim for less than 1/4 of your weight. "If you can lift a pack, you can carry it all day with the right attitude" -Guy Waterman

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •