WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Marmot - Sawtooth, 15*, Dry-Down Sleeping Bag

Does anyone here have any experience with this bag? If so, please tell me your thoughts, experience with same. Thanks.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Journal Entries
    Images

I will have a report for you in one months time when I return from an upcoming trip that should put me in the teens.

Otherwise I slept in it on a porch just below 25 degrees and was comfortable in briefs on an insulated inflated BA pad R value 4 . I sleep hot, and have very limited experience with other bags and cold weather camping. It is light and packs down smaller then other bags I have seen, I scored a deal on it new from sierra trading post for ~$130.00 last fall. Will check back in, but happy with its construction so far. Some fabric around drafts seems light, but also durable enough so far. I am optimistic about the bag..
    introduced to backpacking on my 21st in the red river gorge, KY (2012)

2015 salkantay trek - Glamping

16'-17' amicalola--> Fontana dam

7 days solo on Huayhuash circuit!! 9/17

Journal Entries
    Images

i . comfort rating 27 deg f lower limit 15.6 deg f and extreme rating -4deg f.

I just returned from trekking in the Cordillera Huayhuash, where I slept in the bag 7 nights (6 of which were well below the comfort rating, in the lower teens.)

my girlfriends cat's meow 22 bag is comfort rating 20 deg f and lower limit 9 deg f and she definitely appeared warmer.

I had to use my clothing systems half of the nights to stay warm enough to sleep. Also acclimating my body chemistry to regulate heat and sleep comfortable at 13,000-14,000ft above sea level was a factor.

Overall I am super impressed with all my gear. The saw tooth bag compresses down half the size of the cats meow , it is very comfortable fabric to sleep on, and very light. I don't think I will ever sleep in colder temperatures than the teen's I was facing up in the Andes. I Like my marmot sawtooth bag, I hope it last me many years going forward ! and i don't feel inclined to spend >$250 on a cottage vendors quilt

Hope this chicken scratch serves as to some insight for you.

Other notes :

I slept on a BA ultra core sleeping pad ( non insulated !!!)
    We slept in a BA FLY CREEK UL2 , every morning the rainfly and pack covers were frozen ( it was consistently below freezing even at 7 am , I'd imagine much colder at 2 in the morning)
    There was often condensation in the tent and the outside of my bag got lightly wet most nights/ mornings and I found this to be a non issue. even in the granite gear compression sack by the time we arrived at the next camp it was completely dry ! ( I was worried the down would retain the water and be a big issue)
    introduced to backpacking on my 21st in the red river gorge, KY (2012)

2015 salkantay trek - Glamping

16'-17' amicalola--> Fontana dam

7 days solo on Huayhuash circuit!! 9/17

++ New Posts ++