WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sawyer Squeeze

Images

Sawyer filters are a GREAT piece of equipment! After years of using chemicals, it was great to finally be able to taste the mountain water.

Only additional advice I have to offer is make sure to backwash the filter after each trip (or at least once/week, if you're out for a long hike). Also if you get water from a non-flowing source (not recommended, but sometimes necessary), you may need to do an extra backwash. I used to leave the syringe at home, but after one trip with several days of "now let's spend another 30 minutes filtering water because my Sawyer is clogged...", I learned my lesson.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Original poster, it is also well discussed on forums, that the Sawyer SQUEEZE, is really the Sawyer ROLL-THE-BAG. Fill the bag, put on the filter, invert and roll the bag down to force the water thru the filter. It seems to reduce the pressure put on the bags bottom seam so they last longer. But many have had bag failures so just carry a back up way to contain the dirty water, once the bag fails.
    +1 to this - squeezing instead of rolling the bag is probably why folks' bags are breaking.

Taken the same two 1L bags on several trips now and no issue with either. Given that the bags only weigh like 0.5 oz and take up very little space when empty, there is no reason not to carry a spare.

I've found that the Sawyer bags are perfect for dry camping. Just fill them up at the last water source, continue on to your campsite, and do the filtering there. That way you can continue to drink from your platypus while hiking and know you still have at least 2L left for camping.
    It's all good in the woods.

thanks everyone! tried it out this weekend when on the trail for a day hike. (i live very close to it in PA) anyway - it worked great! wasn't sick! my sister made me the guinea pig as she didn't believe it. haha
    all the tips are great too. rolling up the bag is a great tip. i also used a cutup water bottle as my scooper. i like it.

....Um.....great news first off. However, the water-born "bad stuff" can take several days to even a week to rage war in your lower intestines.....Just so you are aware.....

and if you followed good filtering and hand cleanliness, they you are fine!
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    The Sawyer bags suck! Get the Evernew 2 liter bag cause, sadly, a Platy bag will not work.
    I use the Evernew 2 liter as my dirty water bag, and set it up in gravity mode (use a hole punch in the edges of the bladder and feed a short piece of thick twine thru the hole).
    The only time it's failed is when I didn't hang it securely and it fell breaking the mouth from the weight of the water.

I use the Platypus Hoser as the clean water bag. Simply remove the bite valve and the hose can be pushed over the Sawyer output nipple (Squeeze or Mini). By placing the clean water bag as low as possible relative to the filter. The height difference will create a little bit of extra suction (about 1psi).
    The hose that comes with the Platypus Hoser is a bit thick and difficult to coil up for storage. So I replaced it with the surgical-style hose that came with my old Sweetwater filter.
    The barb fitting on the hoser is pretty large compared to the tubing. A trick I learned was to lubricate the barbs with a water-based KY.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    +1 to this - squeezing instead of rolling the bag is probably why folks' bags are breaking.

Taken the same two 1L bags on several trips now and no issue with either. Given that the bags only weigh like 0.5 oz and take up very little space when empty, there is no reason not to carry a spare.

I've found that the Sawyer bags are perfect for dry camping. Just fill them up at the last water source, continue on to your campsite, and do the filtering there. That way you can continue to drink from your platypus while hiking and know you still have at least 2L left for camping.
    Nope.....still break....I'm careful with mine but still fail...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I love my Sawyer Squeeze. I have seen that several people had problems with the original bags, I still use mine, but I replace them every year as I don't want creepy crawlers in my water. The newer Sawyer Squeeze Plus come with the adapter that allows you to screw a one or two liter bottle on the filter to back wash it. If I am on a log hike I take the time to flush it in town. If it is a weekend or short hike I can wait until I get home.
    Blackheart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++