Default Winter hiking from Southern terminus questions

I am interested in a winter hike from the Southern terminus to Agua Dulce, just North of HWY 14.
    There are several mountain passes along the way. Does anyone on here know about winter weather conditions on those passes?
    Do they receive snow at the summits? Any information would be appreciated.

When you say winter hiking, specify what month you are talking about.

The PCT goes over 9000 ft in 2 different places in that stretch, while going past mountains over 10k ft tall. It goes past ski resorts in Big Bear and Wrightwood. So snow is very likely.I t can be very dangerous in places unless you choose to hike around the worse of it along some of the highways. Mt. Laguna gets snow but it melts off after awhile and usually can be hiked even in snow. San Jacinto (by Idyllwild) gets significant snow. North of the I-10, you climb back up into significant snow as you get near Big Bear. As you leave the I-15, as you climb past Wrightwood, you are back in big snow again.

We typically get a little snow (few inches) in November that melts off in a few days. December may be dry or we may get even more snow. January and February bring the largest amounts of snow that can take months to melt off. March can be dry or bring in another big storm or two. Typically, Southern California gets most of its rain total in the winter months which means snow in the mountains.

A day hiker along the PCT just past Wrightwood near Little Jimmy trail camp died last February after sliding off the trail in snow. Last march, a hiker slide several hundred feet down after leaving Idyllwild (San Jacinto Wilderness and State Park), survived in decent shape and was able to hike back to Iydllwild after climbing back up. ] So don't assume its a walk in the park even in spring.

I'd consider hiking in December, especially if I checked the weather reports before leaving. But unless we get another really big drought year like a few years ago where we got barely any snow (not typical), I would not plan a Jan - February hike unless I was planning on significant road walking. Hikers usually will have problems even in March with snow.

There are a lot of videos online from several years. You can see for yourself what folks are dealing with and managing to get through the winter conditions in April - June in that section.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The lower elevations can be quite nice in winter, with reasonable temps and the seasonal water sources are at their best. Be prepared for snow, ice and rain as early as the Laguna Mountains. Be prepared for snow travel in the San Jacintos, San Berdoos, and San Gabriels. As Miner says, you'll be hitting 9000' in those ranges.

Not sure what passes you are asking about. San Gorgonio and Cajon Passes will be snow free.

++ New Posts ++